Prompt a user for a location on their hard drive.
Author Message
 Prompt a user for a location on their hard drive.

I need to know where I can put some files on a users hard drive.  I am
having security issues with using the Common Dialog Control in my own active
X Control.  Is there a way to prompt the user for a subdirectory name on
their hard drive?

Thanks in advance!

Thu, 07 Oct 2004 12:43:16 GMT
 Prompt a user for a location on their hard drive.
You could put a file input on the page and ask them to select a file from
the save under... folder.
Parse the filename to get the folder path.  Won't you still have the same
security issues trying to save the files though?

Tim.

Quote:
> I need to know where I can put some files on a users hard drive.  I am
> having security issues with using the Common Dialog Control in my own
active
> X Control.  Is there a way to prompt the user for a subdirectory name on
> their hard drive?

> Thanks in advance!

Thu, 07 Oct 2004 14:06:46 GMT
 Prompt a user for a location on their hard drive.
That may work... Can you help me witht the syntax of the file input?

Thanks.

Quote:
> You could put a file input on the page and ask them to select a file from
> the save under... folder.
> Parse the filename to get the folder path.  Won't you still have the same
> security issues trying to save the files though?

> Tim.

> > I need to know where I can put some files on a users hard drive.  I am
> > having security issues with using the Common Dialog Control in my own
> active
> > X Control.  Is there a way to prompt the user for a subdirectory name on
> > their hard drive?

> > Thanks in advance!

Thu, 07 Oct 2004 15:05:32 GMT
 Prompt a user for a location on their hard drive.
I have the syntax.  I guess I never used this before.  Thanks again for the
help!

Quote:
> You could put a file input on the page and ask them to select a file from
> the save under... folder.
> Parse the filename to get the folder path.  Won't you still have the same
> security issues trying to save the files though?

> Tim.

> > I need to know where I can put some files on a users hard drive.  I am
> > having security issues with using the Common Dialog Control in my own
> active
> > X Control.  Is there a way to prompt the user for a subdirectory name on
> > their hard drive?

> > Thanks in advance!

Thu, 07 Oct 2004 15:07:54 GMT
 Prompt a user for a location on their hard drive.
I tried the file input, but what I really need is a "folder input box".  I
do not see why Microsoft would not allow for such a thing?

Quote:
> You could put a file input on the page and ask them to select a file from
> the save under... folder.
> Parse the filename to get the folder path.  Won't you still have the same
> security issues trying to save the files though?

> Tim.

> > I need to know where I can put some files on a users hard drive.  I am
> > having security issues with using the Common Dialog Control in my own
> active
> > X Control.  Is there a way to prompt the user for a subdirectory name on
> > their hard drive?

> > Thanks in advance!

Thu, 07 Oct 2004 15:14:05 GMT
 Prompt a user for a location on their hard drive.

Quote:
> I tried the file input, but what I really need is a "folder input
> box".  I do not see why Microsoft would not allow for such a thing?

Because that isn't what a browser was designed to do.

If you want desktop application functionality then write a desktop app or use an HTA (HTML Application).  Trying to twist the browser into doing things never intended is just an exercise in frustration ;)...

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

Fri, 08 Oct 2004 03:17:45 GMT
 Prompt a user for a location on their hard drive.

(Snip)

...to twist the browser into doing things never intended is just an exercise in
[pointless, unrewarding] frustration ;)...

(snip)

Fri, 08 Oct 2004 03:37:56 GMT
 Prompt a user for a location on their hard drive.
I just read this post after the others.  For the record, I understand.  All
I really want to do is create a word document on the web.  I think this is
the core twisting and I should reconsider.  It works great right now...
Dynamically create a HTML word document on the client side using javascript
(with headers and footers and graphics) and then download the graphic files
to the _files directory on the client side.  Name it a .doc document and it
opens in word.

If you had any other ideas on how to create a good report with headers,
footers, graphics in the header, I would really like to go a different
direction.  I read all about CSS2 style sheets, but even this looks half
cooked.  I guess I should settle for Acrobat, but then again, everyone needs
acrobat viewers and I do not even know if my ISP would support building
Acrobat files on the server.

Any pointers in a better direction would be appreciated, but thanks to your
help, at least it is working for now!

Best Regards...

Quote:
> I tried the file input, but what I really need is a "folder input
> box".  I do not see why Microsoft would not allow for such a thing?

Because that isn't what a browser was designed to do.

If you want desktop application functionality then write a desktop app or
use an HTA (HTML Application).  Trying to twist the browser into doing
things never intended is just an exercise in frustration ;)...

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting
Seattle WA US
--

Fri, 08 Oct 2004 05:17:15 GMT
 Prompt a user for a location on their hard drive.

Your job is very well pointed.
I am doing the same thing with Xbase++ to produce XLS worksheets without OLE
automation nor Office.
Regards

--
 Jos Luis Otermin

ICQ 8797524

Fri, 08 Oct 2004 07:26:02 GMT
 Prompt a user for a location on their hard drive.
So do you have any ideas on how to download a file to a user hard drive
specific location.  If I use the Common Dialog Control, no matter what I do,
I get a warning before I can download the file to the users hard drive.

How can you ask a user where to put a file and download a file to that
location without a warning?

Thanks,

Jim

Quote:
> Hello Jim,

> Your job is very well pointed.
> I am doing the same thing with Xbase++ to produce XLS worksheets without
OLE
> automation nor Office.
> Regards

> --
>  Jos Luis Otermin

> ICQ 8797524

Tue, 12 Oct 2004 01:12:51 GMT

1. Prompt a user for a location on their hard drive.

2. find all the users external hard drives

3. Download via IE without location prompt?

4. Hard drive help needed

5. How do attach file from local hard drive

6. Iterating through all files on Hard drive

7. checking hard drive levels

8. Desperarely seeking Hp5si Hard drives

9. Hard drive initialisation

10. Does GhostScript work on non-C: hard drive?

11. Search hard driveS for file help

12. Saving to the local hard drive