JS Frustration (Newbe)
Author Message
 JS Frustration (Newbe)

Hi,

I have just started to try and get into learning JavaScript, I have a very
small amount of programming experience "hobby" with basic and have looked at
php and perl to a small extent so it does make understanding the basics
easier. I find JavaScript very frustrating because it is difficult to find
errors in the code and I also am finding that things written that are copied
from a book do not work but if the sample code supplied is used "copied and
pasted" it does, I checked one simple file I wrote for 6 hours yesterday and
then decided to give up on it because I could not find any errors or typos,
it just did not work and yet it was the same. I have not let this put me off
because it must be simpler than I am finding it. After what I have learnt up
to today my third day "but still not yet been able to put into action" I
have decided to try my first attempt at writing a function "well two" and
what do you know, it does not work, I never expected it to I suppose. If
anyone out there has a few moments of their time and would not mind looking
at this attempt to see if they can tell me where I am going wrong then I
might find the error of my ways. I have pasted the code below for a text
field that the user would enter a 16 digit credit card number into using the
format of:
 XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX then if this format is not entered an alert window will
open, or is supposed to.

Also what would you recommend as a text editor for JS?, I am using a Mac and
BBEdit at the moment.

Many thanks in advance.
_Mike

<!-- the code WATCH FOR TEXT WRAP.
-->

        " http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;>
<HTML>
<HEAD><TITLE>Test</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FORM NAME="testForm">

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">

function isANumber(number){
    answer=1
    for (var i=0; i<number.length; i++) {
        if ((number.charAt(i) != "0") &&
            !parseFloat(number.charAt(i))) {
            answer = 0
            break
            }
        }
        return answer
    }
    function isACardNumber(){
        entry=document.testForm.cardNumber.value
        if (entry) {
            var firstFour = entry.substring(0,4)
            var firstSpace = entry.substring(4,5)
            var secondFour = entry.substring(5,9)
            var secondSpace = entry.substring(9,10)
            var thirdFour = entry.substring(10,14)
            var thirdSpace = entry.substring(14,15)
            var fourthFour = entry.substring(15,19)

            // Check the bits are all correct.

            if (
                (!isANumber(firstFour))        ||
                (firstSpace != " ")            ||
                (!isANumber(secondFour))    ||
                (secondSpace != " ")        ||
                (!isANumber(thirdFour))        ||
                (thirdSpace != " ")            ||
                (!isANumber(fourthFour))
               )    {
                window.alert("Your card number must be entered exactly as it
is shown on your card."
                +" This is a sample format: XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX")
                }
            }
        }
    </SCRIPT>

<BR>Card number
<INPUT TYPE="text" NAME="cardNumber" VALUE="" SIZE=25 MAXLENGTH=19
onBlur="isACardNumber()">
</FORM>
</BODY>
</HTML>

Fri, 09 Jul 2004 00:45:40 GMT
 JS Frustration (Newbe)
Hi Mike

Just hang on in there, it doesn't look that bad ;-).

As far as I can tell the script works allright on my browser, the only
problem I can find is that you forget to check that the length of
"number" in function isANumber really is 4 (it should only be a problem
on the last 4 digits since entry.substring(15,19) is not guaranteed to
actually return 4 digits. A very quick and dirty hack would be to put in
  the following in the top of isANumber
        if (number.length != 4) {
                return 0;
        }

Besides that I do not see big problems with your script, if there is
anything else, could you please be a little more specific about what you
mean when you say that "your script does not work"?

Anyway, there are some minor issues you should watch out for in you code:
        -You sometimes forget to declare variables (with "var"): Example "answer"
in isANumber and "entry" in isACardNumber.
        -You are missing almost all ";". They should be used at the end of all
statements.

And finally a hint I use myself all the time: Use a lot of alert's for
debugging. Anytime I am in doubt why some code does not work, or whether
I do get into some loop or anything, I use alert(). (in your case it
could for example be done when entering isANumber like this:
"alert(number)").

The final question about a texteditor for Mac? - Sorry, I am a pure
windoze, linux-guy so I don't have any good recommendations for that.

I hope this helped you a little!

Best Regards
Morten Andersen

Quote:

> Hi,

[SNIP]

Fri, 09 Jul 2004 01:37:54 GMT
 JS Frustration (Newbe)
if you go into IE's tools > internet options > advanced and uncheck 'disable
script debugging' your errors will invoke the windows script de{*filter*} when
they're are encountered .  This provides line and character index info for
errors.  Encapsulating routines within exceptions handlers ( ie. try ..
catch .. throw .. ) allows you to extract error descriptions as well.

the only error I'd encountered w/ your example was an unterminated string
constant due to the break in the alert message - this was probably due to
the format of your email though.

if code you've copied and pasted works , but manually copies code doesn't ,
you're probably encountering syntax errors.

some advice :

terminate your statements and declarations w/ a semicolon to avoid syntax
errors - eg . var firstSpace = entry.substring(4,5) ;

also,

the switch statement is appropriate for checking a series of distinct
conditions - it's easier to read and maintain than an 'if ' w/ lots of 'OR'
conditions.

I often use EditPlus a/o Homesite for JS development - these both provide
syntax highlighting and allow you to invoke an IE browser control within the
editor.

HTH

Quote:

> [...]

>             var thirdSpace = entry.substring(14,15)
>             var fourthFour = entry.substring(15,19)

>             // Check the bits are all correct.

>             if (
>                 (!isANumber(firstFour))        ||
>                 (firstSpace != " ")            ||
>                 (!isANumber(secondFour))    ||
>                 (secondSpace != " ")        ||
>                 (!isANumber(thirdFour))        ||
>                 (thirdSpace != " ")            ||
>                 (!isANumber(fourthFour))
>                )    {
>                 window.alert("Your card number must be entered exactly as
it
> is shown on your card."
>                 +" This is a sample format: XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX")
>                 }
>             }
>         }
>     </SCRIPT>

> <BR>Card number
> <INPUT TYPE="text" NAME="cardNumber" VALUE="" SIZE=25 MAXLENGTH=19

Fri, 09 Jul 2004 01:54:05 GMT
 JS Frustration (Newbe)
In terms of debugging, Interdev (if you can  get past the basics of projects
etc.) is excellent and will allow you to step through client side Javascript
inspecting all the variables etc. as you go.

PrimalScript has been reported to be quite good but I believe that it just
shells out to your own browser de{*filter*} (Interdev or Script De{*filter*}) when
the time comes to debug by stepping through.

A little knowledge of some of the main pitfalls in JavaScript vs. other
stuff (VBScript) will help you no end such as:

    - case sensitivity,
    - semi-colons,
    - good naming convention for variables - perhaps the Hungarian notation
is still a good one to use: scope, type and Names (e.g. local, integer named
MyNumber becomes lintMyNumber, a module level, string called Mystring
becomes mstrMyString).
    - comments using \\ as the comment marker.
    - Be clear in what your logic is doing by writing an explanation for it.

Here's how I would have written the first routine (sorry if any typos).

//Checks to see if a number (passed as text) is actually a  number.
//Parameters:        String
//Returns:             Boolean
function is_a_number(pstrString){
    //Loop through each character and check if it's a number - if not then
drop out.
    for (var i = 0; i<pstrString.length; i++) {
        //Compare the numerical value of the character with the integer
value of the character.
        //They won't match if the character is not 1-9.
        if ((pstrString.charAt(i) != "0") && (parseInt(pstrString.charAt(i)
== 0)){
            //Numerical character in the string - break out and return
false;
            return false;
            }
        }
        //All chacters are numerical. Return true.
        return true;
    }

Chris Barber.

"Morten Andersen"

message

> Hi Mike

> Just hang on in there, it doesn't look that bad ;-).

> As far as I can tell the script works allright on my browser, the only
> problem I can find is that you forget to check that the length of
> "number" in function isANumber really is 4 (it should only be a problem
> on the last 4 digits since entry.substring(15,19) is not guaranteed to
> actually return 4 digits. A very quick and dirty hack would be to put in
>   the following in the top of isANumber
> if (number.length != 4) {
> return 0;
> }

> Besides that I do not see big problems with your script, if there is
> anything else, could you please be a little more specific about what you
> mean when you say that "your script does not work"?

> Anyway, there are some minor issues you should watch out for in you code:
> -You sometimes forget to declare variables (with "var"): Example "answer"
> in isANumber and "entry" in isACardNumber.
> -You are missing almost all ";". They should be used at the end of all
> statements.

> And finally a hint I use myself all the time: Use a lot of alert's for
> debugging. Anytime I am in doubt why some code does not work, or whether
> I do get into some loop or anything, I use alert(). (in your case it
> could for example be done when entering isANumber like this:
> "alert(number)").

> The final question about a texteditor for Mac? - Sorry, I am a pure
> windoze, linux-guy so I don't have any good recommendations for that.

> I hope this helped you a little!

> Best Regards
> Morten Andersen

> > Hi,

> [SNIP]

Fri, 09 Jul 2004 02:01:24 GMT
 JS Frustration (Newbe)
Sorry for the ramble about windows stuff, just realised (I must be blind
from too much vodka) that you're on a Mac.

The JavaScript stuff stands.

Chris.

Quote:
> [...]

> > mean when you say that "your script does not work"?

> > Anyway, there are some minor issues you should watch out for in you
code:
> > -You sometimes forget to declare variables (with "var"): Example
"answer"
> > in isANumber and "entry" in isACardNumber.
> > -You are missing almost all ";". They should be used at the end of all
> > statements.

> > And finally a hint I use myself all the time: Use a lot of alert's for
> > debugging. Anytime I am in doubt why some code does not work, or whether
> > I do get into some loop or anything, I use alert(). (in your case it
> > could for example be done when entering isANumber like this:
> > "alert(number)").

> > The final question about a texteditor for Mac? - Sorry, I am a pure
> > windoze, linux-guy so I don't have any good recommendations for that.

Fri, 09 Jul 2004 02:08:41 GMT
 JS Frustration (Newbe)

Quote:
> > Just hang on in there, it doesn't look that bad ;-).
> > As far as I can tell the script works all right on my browser, the only
> > problem I can find is that you forget to check that the length of
> > "number" in function isANumber really is 4 (it should only be a problem
> > on the last 4 digits since entry.substring(15,19) is not guaranteed to
> > actually return 4 digits. A very quick and dirty hack would be to put in
> >   the following in the top of isANumber
> > if (number.length != 4) {
> > return 0;
> > }

Yes now that I have got the script to work I have discovered the problem
with the last four digits but unfortunatly when I insert the code to check
on this the script stops functioning, nothing happens on "onBlur", but
thanks, I will keep working on it.

Quote:
> > Besides that I do not see big problems with your script, if there is
> > anything else, could you please be a little more specific about what you
> > mean when you say that "your script does not work"?

Yes sorry, a common mistake, I meant that nothing happened when I entered a
value into the field and then clicked outside it "and still doesn't on the
origonal script I pasted into my first post" but I rewrote the script again
and have now got it to work up to the last four digits stage as you have
stated above. It is strange but again I cannot see any difference between
the first script I wrote and the second attempt, the first one does nothing
on my browser yet the second does? IE 5.1.3 for Mac (Latest version).

Quote:
> > Anyway, there are some minor issues you should watch out for in you
code:
> > -You sometimes forget to declare variables (with "var"): Example
"answer"
> > in isANumber and "entry" in isACardNumber.
> > -You are missing almost all ";". They should be used at the end of all
> > statements.

I started with JavaScript "The definition guide" so I should have known this
but I went onto something simpler the second day when I couldn't get the
code to work, the simple book does not use the ";" and so I thought they
where not important, I will start using them.

Quote:
> > And finally a hint I use myself all the time: Use a lot of alert's for
> > debugging. Anytime I am in doubt why some code does not work, or whether
> > I do get into some loop or anything, I use alert(). (in your case it
> > could for example be done when entering isANumber like this:
> > "alert(number)").

I will take this hint up.

Thank you for your help and to everyone else who helped on this.
_Mike

Fri, 09 Jul 2004 03:14:41 GMT
 JS Frustration (Newbe)

Quote:

>>>Anyway, there are some minor issues you should watch out for in you

> code:

>>>-You sometimes forget to declare variables (with "var"): Example

> "answer"

>>>in isANumber and "entry" in isACardNumber.
>>>-You are missing almost all ";". They should be used at the end of all
>>>statements.

> I started with JavaScript "The definition guide" so I should have known this
> but I went onto something simpler the second day when I couldn't get the
> code to work, the simple book does not use the ";" and so I thought they
> where not important, I will start using them.

Having the Vars may actually allow it to parse/run faster... as the
JavaScript RTE doesnt have to look around to find where the variables
scope is.

The semicolons are something you will need if you end up "crushing" your
code... Ecma Script Crusher, is a handy but windows only tool you may
be able to find a mac one to do it. It strips out uneeded tabs and
whitespace and comments etc. Depending on your coding style this may be
10% to 40% it allows you to nicely comment and compose for development
purposes yet release a tight net worthy result.

Their are other tools that do the same for html and doing it to all of
your html makes as much sense as anything. Fast is good.

Lance Dyas
www.dyasdesigns.com

Fri, 09 Jul 2004 04:47:49 GMT
 JS Frustration (Newbe)
Hi Lance

I will just elaborate I bit on your totally correct statement about
declaring variables with "var":

 From the Microsoft Windows script doc. 5.6 (downloaded from
http://www.*-*-*.com/
- really {*filter*} url's, that MSDN have now a days ;-)):

"Although it is unsafe to do so, it is legal JScript syntax to omit the
var keyword from your declaration statement. When you do, the JScript
interpreter gives the variable global scope visibility. When you declare
a variable at the procedure level though, you do not want it to be
visible at the global scope; in this case, you must use the var keyword
in your variable declaration."

Best Regards
Morten Andersen

Quote:

> Having the Vars may actually allow it to parse/run faster... as the
> JavaScript RTE doesnt have to look around to find where the variables
> scope is.

Fri, 09 Jul 2004 06:12:20 GMT
 JS Frustration (Newbe)

[SNIP]

Quote:

> Yes now that I have got the script to work I have discovered the problem
> with the last four digits but unfortunatly when I insert the code to check
> on this the script stops functioning, nothing happens on "onBlur", but
> thanks, I will keep working on it.

[SNIP]

Quote:

> Yes sorry, a common mistake, I meant that nothing happened when I entered a
> value into the field and then clicked outside it "and still doesn't on the
> origonal script I pasted into my first post" but I rewrote the script again
> and have now got it to work up to the last four digits stage as you have
> stated above. It is strange but again I cannot see any difference between
> the first script I wrote and the second attempt, the first one does nothing
> on my browser yet the second does? IE 5.1.3 for Mac (Latest version).

It actually sounds like you should not be looking for the error in the
script, but more in the onblur-attribute. Try to insert an
"alert("test");" as the first statement in the isACardNumber()-method,
that way it should be easy to see whether the error in the first script
lies in the actual script (in which case the test-alert should be shown)
  or whether there is some minor error in the onblur-attribute (might be
some case-spelling mistake, or missing parenthesis?).

Best Regards

Morten Andersen

Fri, 09 Jul 2004 06:36:15 GMT
 JS Frustration (Newbe)

OK I have got the origonal script to work, seems the version I have used
an or "||" after the last "(!isANumber(fourthFour))" on my origonal
copy, I see this is not on the copy I posted, maybe I seen it on my post
and removed it without thinking?. Anyway thanks for the prompts on using
"alert " to debug, this is already very useful also turning on the
script error alerts in IE helps "as dlm said in his post".

Thanks Again.
_Mike

Fri, 09 Jul 2004 07:29:18 GMT
 JS Frustration (Newbe)
I personally believe BBEdit is the best text editor in existence, so it's the
obvious choice for writing javascript. It doesn't aid much in debugging, but
there are other tools for that.

I'd like to offer two suggestions to ease your troubles. First of all, BBEdit
doesn't display every character you type, and has a "Zap Gremlins" feature that
cleans up any non-printing characters you may have inadvertantly inserted. I
suggest you try it on those scripts you feel are inexplicably failing.

Secondly, I recommend you debug simple JS tasks like this with Netscape 4.x
until you understand javascript better. Netscape has far better error messages
than IE does, and you can automate the javascript console so that it pops up
with every error.

If you don't already have Netscape 4.x, download it here (I recommend 4.5 or
higher, since those versions use javascript 1.3, which fixes some implementation
errors Netscape put into 1.2):

    http://home.netscape.com/download/archive.html

Once it is installed and running, follow these steps:

    1. Close Netscape completely (CMD+Q)
    2. Find the file prefs.js (I forget where it is on a Mac,
        but I think it's under the system:preferences:Netscape
        branch)
    3. Insert the following line:
        user_pref("javascript.classic.error_alerts", true);
    4. Close and save prefs.js, start Netscape

You have to do it while the browser is closed because Netscape overwrites the
file when the app shuts down. If this doesn't do it, try the other .js file in
the same folder (liprefs.js, IIRC).

Good luck.

--
Dave Anderson

Unsolicited commercial email will be read at a cost of $500 per message. Use of
this email address implies consent to these terms.

Fri, 09 Jul 2004 07:49:30 GMT
 JS Frustration (Newbe)
Mozilla Recent build or NS6.2 is probably a better idea since it isnt a
dead end browser and they actually code closer to IE than 4.x,

Additionally Mozilla has a Javascript De{*filter*} built in that lets
you look at JavaScript in an object oriented fashion.

NN4 requires coding that is alien to more modern browsers because NNs
DOM and CSS are so non-standard.

Lance
www.dyasdesigns.com

Fri, 09 Jul 2004 08:45:10 GMT
 JS Frustration (Newbe)
But there's no way to automate the javascript console in NS6. I still maintain
that Netscape 4 is one of the best debugging tools for inexperienced javascript
writers. It is obviously the wrong tool for debugging DHTML, but it's ideal for
this individual with this problem.

Quote:

> Mozilla Recent build or NS6.2 is probably a better idea since it isnt a
> dead end browser and they actually code closer to IE than 4.x,

> Additionally Mozilla has a Javascript De{*filter*} built in that lets
> you look at JavaScript in an object oriented fashion.

> NN4 requires coding that is alien to more modern browsers because NNs
> DOM and CSS are so non-standard.

--
Dave Anderson

Unsolicited commercial email will be read at a cost of $500 per message. Use of
this email address implies consent to these terms.

Fri, 09 Jul 2004 09:22:53 GMT
 JS Frustration (Newbe)

Quote:

> But there's no way to automate the javascript console in NS6. I still maintain
> that Netscape 4 is one of the best debugging tools for inexperienced javascript
> writers. It is obviously the wrong tool for debugging DHTML, but it's ideal for
> this individual with this problem.

The de{*filter*} in Mozilla includes user defined break points and object
oriented presentation, things which encourage better coding and more
powerful debugging habits. I still use alerts probably a bad habit.
which is why Im encouraging a newbie to get used to a tool that im not ;-)

Lance Dyas
www.dyasdesigns.com

Fri, 09 Jul 2004 12:36:06 GMT
 JS Frustration (Newbe)
So how do you force Mozilla to automatically inform you when there's an error?

Quote:

> The de{*filter*} in Mozilla includes user defined break points and object
> oriented presentation, things which encourage better coding and more
> powerful debugging habits. I still use alerts probably a bad habit.
> which is why Im encouraging a newbie to get used to a tool that im not ;-)

--
Dave Anderson

Unsolicited commercial email will be read at a cost of $500 per message. Use of
this email address implies consent to these terms.

Fri, 09 Jul 2004 21:39:30 GMT

 [ 23 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Newbie suffereing frustrations with EPS under Win95

2. Form Frustration

3. target frame frustrations

4. Input type=text Frustration

5. File Frustrations

6. VBScript feature = JScript frustration

7. vbscript.feature = jscript.frustration

8. InStr frustrations

9. rnd() frustration

10. vbscript & WMI frustrations

11. newbe question