JScript in ASP
Author Message
 JScript in ASP

Hello All,

I recently inherited a large site that runs all server side JavaScript on
the Netscape Enterprise Web Server.  Additionally, I have been informed that
I need to move this site off of NS Enterprise and over to MS IIS.  Well...
I read that asp can accommodate JavaScript, but up to what point?  Will IIS
only recognize what is in the ECMA standard?  And lastly, is anyone out
there using JavaScript or JScript as their language of choice for developing
active server pages?  I would prefer to go this route myself so I am looking
for suggestions on good references.

Chuck Tilly

Thu, 24 Jul 2003 15:49:51 GMT
 JScript in ASP
Chuck Tilly says:

Quote:
>I recently inherited a large site that runs all server side JavaScript on
>the Netscape Enterprise Web Server.  Additionally, I have been informed that
>I need to move this site off of NS Enterprise and over to MS IIS.  Well...
>I read that asp can accommodate JavaScript, but up to what point?  Will IIS
>only recognize what is in the ECMA standard?  And lastly, is anyone out
>there using JavaScript or JScript as their language of choice for developing
>active server pages?  I would prefer to go this route myself so I am looking
>for suggestions on good references.

It's pretty much just ECMA script,  but with access to COM/ActiveX.
All-in-all,  I prefer JScript for ASP because the syntax is more
programmatic, and less verbose than VBScript, and most importantly (to
me) allows for optional arguments to a function.   Ultimately, they
both do the same thing though,  and JScript -based resources for ASP
will be harder to find.

I believe (not an expert on it) that Netscape Enterprise uses Java,
not just JavaScript, so it seems that you may have some reworking to
do on the code, but at least you can salvage some, which is better
than rewriting the whole thing, no?

----------
Randy Hunt
MCP+I / MCSE

Fri, 25 Jul 2003 00:44:19 GMT
 JScript in ASP

I agree, the OReilly book is a must have, just be sure to get a recent
edition. That said, though, there isn't much in the way of server side
examples in that book. The only book I've personally seen with much
info on ASP JScript is "Professional Javascript" by Wrox press. I do
LOTS of development work using JScript on both the server and client
sides, and the combination of these two books has served me well.

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001 22:15:16 -0800, "Michael McDowell"

Quote:

>Hi,

>You'll find O'Reilly's book on JavaScript invaluable - it notes where which
>functions do and don't work, it has certiantly saved me hours of pulling my
>hair out in trying to get complex scripts to work on both MS's IE and AOL's
>Nanvgator.

>Good luck,
>Michael McDowell

>> Hello All,

>> I recently inherited a large site that runs all server side JavaScript on
>> the Netscape Enterprise Web Server.  Additionally, I have been informed
>that
>> I need to move this site off of NS Enterprise and over to MS IIS.  Well...
>> I read that asp can accommodate JavaScript, but up to what point?  Will
>IIS
>> only recognize what is in the ECMA standard?  And lastly, is anyone out
>> there using JavaScript or JScript as their language of choice for
>developing
>> active server pages?  I would prefer to go this route myself so I am
>looking
>> for suggestions on good references.

>> Chuck Tilly

Sat, 26 Jul 2003 09:30:16 GMT
 JScript in ASP
Aside from the handling of database connections and the ODBC syntax
(as apposed to ADO), porting the code should be pretty
straightforward.  I developed a project on Netscape Enterprise Server
some years ago now, using Server-side javascript, and was able to
reuse some of the code in later JScript ASP projects, so IMO it's not
going to be a stretch.  Do expect, however to do quite a bit of
optimizing, given that NS's SS Javascript was compiled as an
application and not interpreted, so there's a good chance a lot of SS
Javascript code out there wasn't written with efficiency in mind.

Robert

Quote:
>Hello All,

>I recently inherited a large site that runs all server side JavaScript on
>the Netscape Enterprise Web Server.  Additionally, I have been informed that
>I need to move this site off of NS Enterprise and over to MS IIS.  Well...
>I read that asp can accommodate JavaScript, but up to what point?  Will IIS
>only recognize what is in the ECMA standard?  And lastly, is anyone out
>there using JavaScript or JScript as their language of choice for developing
>active server pages?  I would prefer to go this route myself so I am looking
>for suggestions on good references.

>Chuck Tilly

Sun, 27 Jul 2003 17:28:22 GMT

1. Vbscript class in jscript page (ASP)

2. Jscript and ASP

3. jscript and asp for a beginner

4. JScript and ASP

5. using jscript in ASP

6. JScript using ASP GetRows?

7. Help!! Jscript in ASP Page Error Message

8. Is ODBC with jscript without ASP possible?

9. server-side JScript in asp

10. JScript as ASP language instead of VBScript

11. JScript as ASP language instead of VBScript

12. Can client JScript update ASP Session var?