Displaying Word Docs from Database OLE Links
Author Message
 Displaying Word Docs from Database OLE Links

I can't imagine no one has tried this before; nor can I imagine that
Microsoft would miss a chance to make this a very easy thing to do, but I'm
just not seeing it...

I want to display MS Word documents - but the document display is driven by
database.  The Access database will contain OLE links to the documents.  So
far everything I've tried sees the link fields as binary data, but that's
it.

How do I use the link to get at and display the document?

Thanks much!

Fri, 16 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Displaying Word Docs from Database OLE Links
The best approach is to place the actually document in the web, then in Access provide a link to the
document location. This also applies to images, etc.

--
====================================
Thomas Rowe

Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
The HTML Writers Guild Member
International Webmaster Association Member
Site Builder Network Level 2 Member
MSDN Universal Subscriber

Quote:

>I can't imagine no one has tried this before; nor can I imagine that
>Microsoft would miss a chance to make this a very easy thing to do, but I'm
>just not seeing it...

>I want to display MS Word documents - but the document display is driven by
>database.  The Access database will contain OLE links to the documents.  So
>far everything I've tried sees the link fields as binary data, but that's
>it.

>How do I use the link to get at and display the document?

>Thanks much!

Fri, 16 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Displaying Word Docs from Database OLE Links

Thomas A. Rowe schrieb in Nachricht ...

Quote:
>The best approach is to place the actually document in the web, then in

Access provide a link to the

Quote:
>document location. This also applies to images, etc.

I have a similar problem with retrieving images of a database (access). I
have tried embeding and linking the image to the access table, first causes
"binary" in table when opened with InterDev, second a string (URL) but it is
"doubled" (i.e. .../images/abc.jpg becomes   "# .../images/abc.jpg#
.../images/abc.jpg#"). Never the less, how can I assign this URL to the SRC
attribute of an IMG tag? (As my website should be readable also with
netscape and IE3.x browsers without ActiveX and DHTML)

Does anybody have an idea?

--Christian

Sun, 18 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Displaying Word Docs from Database OLE Links
Thanks for the good idea, Thomas.

But what if I've got an HTML document that I want to include - but I want to
include it from link information that is database driven?
Say I've got a table column I want to fill with a document.  I tried doing
an include of script-driven database table information, but of course I ran
up against the fact that the #include is processed before the script is run.

So the real question is: How do I dynamically insert an HTML document inside
another one?

Thanks again,
Kevin

Quote:

>The best approach is to place the actually document in the web, then in

Access provide a link to the
Quote:
>document location. This also applies to images, etc.

>--
>====================================
>Thomas Rowe
>Your Community On-Line Network
>http://www.ycoln.net

>Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
>The HTML Writers Guild Member
>International Webmaster Association Member
>Site Builder Network Level 2 Member
>MSDN Universal Subscriber

>>I can't imagine no one has tried this before; nor can I imagine that
>>Microsoft would miss a chance to make this a very easy thing to do, but
I'm
>>just not seeing it...

>>I want to display MS Word documents - but the document display is driven
by
>>database.  The Access database will contain OLE links to the documents.
So
>>far everything I've tried sees the link fields as binary data, but that's
>>it.

>>How do I use the link to get at and display the document?

>>Thanks much!

Sun, 18 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Displaying Word Docs from Database OLE Links
You can not include a application data file within a HTML page. The application or viewer must be
available to execute the data file, and this requires that you provide a link to the file. The users
browser will then determine what to do or how to handle the file.

--
====================================
Thomas Rowe
Your Community On-Line Network
http://www.ycoln.net

Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
The HTML Writers Guild Member
International Webmaster Association Member
Site Builder Network Level 2 Member
MSDN Universal Subscriber

Quote:

>Thanks for the good idea, Thomas.

>But what if I've got an HTML document that I want to include - but I want to
>include it from link information that is database driven?
>Say I've got a table column I want to fill with a document.  I tried doing
>an include of script-driven database table information, but of course I ran
>up against the fact that the #include is processed before the script is run.

>So the real question is: How do I dynamically insert an HTML document inside
>another one?

>Thanks again,
>Kevin

>>The best approach is to place the actually document in the web, then in
>Access provide a link to the
>>document location. This also applies to images, etc.

>>--
>>====================================
>>Thomas Rowe
>>Your Community On-Line Network
>>http://www.ycoln.net

>>Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
>>The HTML Writers Guild Member
>>International Webmaster Association Member
>>Site Builder Network Level 2 Member
>>MSDN Universal Subscriber

>>>I can't imagine no one has tried this before; nor can I imagine that
>>>Microsoft would miss a chance to make this a very easy thing to do, but
>I'm
>>>just not seeing it...

>>>I want to display MS Word documents - but the document display is driven
>by
>>>database.  The Access database will contain OLE links to the documents.
>So
>>>far everything I've tried sees the link fields as binary data, but that's
>>>it.

>>>How do I use the link to get at and display the document?

>>>Thanks much!

Sun, 18 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Displaying Word Docs from Database OLE Links
Well... I've kind of changed the question a little bit.  Now I'm not
thinking about Word Docs.. If they have to be HTML, that would be fine.  But
I'm still stuck trying to include them when I am generating the name of the
file through script that pulls it out of a database.  How do I make that
work?

Quote:

>You can not include a application data file within a HTML page. The

application or viewer must be
Quote:
>available to execute the data file, and this requires that you provide a

link to the file. The users
Quote:
>browser will then determine what to do or how to handle the file.

>--
>====================================
>Thomas Rowe
>Your Community On-Line Network
>http://www.ycoln.net

>Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
>The HTML Writers Guild Member
>International Webmaster Association Member
>Site Builder Network Level 2 Member
>MSDN Universal Subscriber

Quote:
>>Thanks for the good idea, Thomas.

>>But what if I've got an HTML document that I want to include - but I want
>>include it from link information that is database driven?
>>Say I've got a table column I want to fill with a document.  I tried doing
>>an include of script-driven database table information, but of course I
ran
>>up against the fact that the #include is processed before the script is
run.

>>So the real question is: How do I dynamically insert an HTML document
inside
>>another one?

>>Thanks again,
>>Kevin

>>>The best approach is to place the actually document in the web, then in
>>Access provide a link to the
>>>document location. This also applies to images, etc.

>>>--
>>>====================================
>>>Thomas Rowe
>>>Your Community On-Line Network
>>>http://www.ycoln.net

>>>Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
>>>The HTML Writers Guild Member
>>>International Webmaster Association Member
>>>Site Builder Network Level 2 Member
>>>MSDN Universal Subscriber

>>I'm

>>by
>>So

Sun, 18 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Displaying Word Docs from Database OLE Links
Kevin,

What exactly do you want to DO? Not HOW, but WHAT? You're approaching the
problem from entirely the wrong direction. Tell us what your goal is, and
perhaps we can think of a way to get there.

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
http://www.takempis.com
ASP, IDC, and Internet Database Programming
Free online ASP Tutorials!
ASP-based Discussion Web available!

Quote:

>Well... I've kind of changed the question a little bit.  Now I'm not
>thinking about Word Docs.. If they have to be HTML, that would be fine.
But
>I'm still stuck trying to include them when I am generating the name of the
>file through script that pulls it out of a database.  How do I make that
>work?

>>You can not include a application data file within a HTML page. The
>application or viewer must be
>>available to execute the data file, and this requires that you provide a
>link to the file. The users
>>browser will then determine what to do or how to handle the file.

>>--
>>====================================
>>Thomas Rowe
>>Your Community On-Line Network
>>http://www.ycoln.net

>>Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
>>The HTML Writers Guild Member
>>International Webmaster Association Member
>>Site Builder Network Level 2 Member
>>MSDN Universal Subscriber

>>>Thanks for the good idea, Thomas.

>>>But what if I've got an HTML document that I want to include - but I want
>>>include it from link information that is database driven?
>>>Say I've got a table column I want to fill with a document.  I tried
doing
>>>an include of script-driven database table information, but of course I
>ran
>>>up against the fact that the #include is processed before the script is
>run.

>>>So the real question is: How do I dynamically insert an HTML document
>inside
>>>another one?

>>>Thanks again,
>>>Kevin

>>>Access provide a link to the

>>>I'm

>>>by
>>>So
>that's

Mon, 19 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Displaying Word Docs from Database OLE Links

2. Display OLE Object from Access Database

3. Display OLE Objects from Database

4. Display OLE Objects from Database

5. Display OLE Object from Database

6. Display an OLE Object from a Database

7. Display an OLE Object from a database

8. Display OLE Object from a Database.

9. Display OLE Objects from Database

10. Display OLE Obects from Database

11. Open word-file in MS Word from link in IE

12. EXE links in HTML docs