Help: Modify shutdown routine
Author Message
 Help: Modify shutdown routine

I am running Win 98 on a home desktop PC of which I am the sole user. No
LAN.

I would like to modify the shutdown routine so that the following happens:

1. I select Shut Down from the Start menu, obtaining the usual Shut Down
menu of Shut Down, Restart, etc.

2. From that menu I select Shut Down.

3. Instead of shutting down, the system pops up a reminder to me to do
certain end-of-the-day tasks.

4. When I click on OK in the popup, the system proceeds to the normal
shutdown routine.

I would like to be able to do this starting from the normal Shut Down option
in the Start menu rather than from an additional entry.

If it is difficult to accomplish this only when I select Shut Down from the
Shut Down menu, it would be acceptable to have the popup appear before the
Shut Down menu is displayed, and I could make my selection of Shut Down
after closing the popup.

I can use Windows Scripting Host, JScript, VBS, a DOS batch file or whatever
method will get this done.

I'd welcome a copy of your reply at:

Thanks.

David

Tue, 12 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Help: Modify shutdown routine

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 Help: Modify shutdown routine
What you want to do is not practical, if it is possible at all.  Modifying the action of Start - Shutdown would require hacking the basic commands (possibly contained in Explorer.exe).

However, you can create a script and add a shortcut to it directly in the Start Menu, so it will appear above the listing of standard items (Start, Run, etc.).  Then use that for Shut Down instead of the Windows Shut Down option at the bottom of the menu.  The script could be as simple as these 2 lines:

MsgBox "Don't forget end-of-the-day tasks!"
CreateObject("Shell.Application").ShutdownWindows

--

Bill James
Microsoft MVPDTS

?Free Win9x VBScript Utilities?
http://home.earthlink.net/~wgjames/vbspage/

Quote:

> I am running Win 98 on a home desktop PC of which I am the sole user. No
> LAN.

> I would like to modify the shutdown routine so that the following happens:

> 1. I select Shut Down from the Start menu, obtaining the usual Shut Down
> menu of Shut Down, Restart, etc.

> 2. From that menu I select Shut Down.

> 3. Instead of shutting down, the system pops up a reminder to me to do
> certain end-of-the-day tasks.

> 4. When I click on OK in the popup, the system proceeds to the normal
> shutdown routine.

> I would like to be able to do this starting from the normal Shut Down option
> in the Start menu rather than from an additional entry.

> If it is difficult to accomplish this only when I select Shut Down from the
> Shut Down menu, it would be acceptable to have the popup appear before the
> Shut Down menu is displayed, and I could make my selection of Shut Down
> after closing the popup.

> I can use Windows Scripting Host, JScript, VBS, a DOS batch file or whatever
> method will get this done.

> I'd welcome a copy of your reply at:

> Thanks.

> David

Tue, 12 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Help: Modify shutdown routine

Quote:
>What you want to do is not practical, if it is possible at all.
>Modifying the action of Start - Shutdown would require hacking the basic
>commands (possibly contained in Explorer.exe).
>However, you can create a script and add a shortcut to it directly in =
>the Start Menu, so it will appear above the listing of standard items =
>(Start, Run, etc.).  Then use that for Shut Down instead of the Windows =
>Shut Down option at the bottom of the menu.  The script could be as =
>simple as these 2 lines:
>MsgBox "Don't forget end-of-the-day tasks!"
>CreateObject("Shell.Application").ShutdownWindows

That's deffo the best solution for within-the-GUI changes, I agree.

One caveat:  Take steps to guard against multiple instances and failed
shutdowns.  For example, if renaming files or anything else that
should be done once and once only, you may want your script to check
that another instance of it is not running.  Latency could be a
problem there, so make that check after doing any time-consuming
stuff, e.g.:  Set "I exist" flag, spend time, check for "I exist" flag

On failed (cancelled) shutdowns; if the script returns from
ShutdownWindows (as you'd not expect it to do), you should then
reverse sensitive changes.  Thinking of situations where a DOS app is
running or a file has to be saved, and user chooses to cancel rather
than proceed with the shutdown process in the dialog offered.

OTOH, for outside-the-GUI changes (e.g. "Restart in Linux"), one can
usefully edit "Exit to DOS.bat", which controls the option to "Restart
in MSDOS Mode" so that you can, um, re-orientate that facility   :-)

Quote:
>----------------- ----- ---- --- -- - -  -   -

Clippit Millennium says:
"It looks like you're writing a virus. Need some help?"
Quote:
>----------------- ----- ---- --- -- - -  -   -

Wed, 13 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Help: Modify shutdown routine

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 Help: Modify shutdown routine

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 Help: Modify shutdown routine
I've seen a couple of freebie programs that do mostly what you want,
automate tasks at shutdown (which could include merely flashing a notice at
you if you wanted I guess, but if you could get the machine to do it why ask
for a note).   I've even got one or two stashed in a corner here someplace,
but having made the mistake of uploading a file once (I's new--thought it
would be a friendly thing to do) I'm not gonna upload one again, so I see no
reason to go looking to see what's stashed.

If you wanna look for freebies check out http://www.nonags.com, I'm almost
certain I got one or two of them there.

Quote:
> I am running Win 98 on a home desktop PC of which I am the sole user. No
> LAN.

> I would like to modify the shutdown routine so that the following happens:

> 1. I select Shut Down from the Start menu, obtaining the usual Shut Down
> menu of Shut Down, Restart, etc.

> 2. From that menu I select Shut Down.

> 3. Instead of shutting down, the system pops up a reminder to me to do
> certain end-of-the-day tasks.

> 4. When I click on OK in the popup, the system proceeds to the normal
> shutdown routine.

> I would like to be able to do this starting from the normal Shut Down
option
> in the Start menu rather than from an additional entry.

> If it is difficult to accomplish this only when I select Shut Down from
the
> Shut Down menu, it would be acceptable to have the popup appear before the
> Shut Down menu is displayed, and I could make my selection of Shut Down
> after closing the popup.

> I can use Windows Scripting Host, JScript, VBS, a DOS batch file or
whatever
> method will get this done.

> I'd welcome a copy of your reply at:

> Thanks.

> David

Thu, 14 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Help: Modify shutdown routine

2. help: image drawing routine with parameters?

3. help with a routine that will suggest possible usernames

4. Help needed on Import Routine....Please!!!

5. Help Please problem with cancelEnter() routine.

6. Need Help With JScript To Modify A Input Text Value

7. need guru to help modify a script

8. HELP on how to modify two mdb database (local and distant)

9. help - newbie to windows scripting for modifying registry.

10. Rerun a program automatically in wsh if it dies or is shutdown

11. How can I detect Browser shutdown?

12. Shutdown browser