Text overflows incorrectly...
Author Message
 Text overflows incorrectly...

Hi,

Those of you who have worked with "crowded" tables surely know the "text
overflow" effect, where the following text:

Might get displayed as

    word1 word2
    word3 word4

or even

    word1
    word2
    word3
    word4

Now, the point is, what are you supposed to do if your document is in
Hebrew, where letters and words are written from right to left? As you can
imagine, the same sentence rewritten using Hebrew logic reads like this:

Naturally, you would have to reverse the overflow mechanism as well,
otherwise the word order becomes distorted, so that you have to read from
bottom to top:

    4drow 3drow
    2drow 1drow

    4drow
    3drow
    2drow
    1drow

Since I've never dealt with Hebrew output before, I'm quite clueless as to
what kind of a workaround would be applicable here. I can manipulate the
HTML as it gets output, but what kind of manipulation that would be? Will an
autonomic shift of Logical/Visual encoding suffice?

Any ideas will be highly appreciated,

Thanks in advance,
Benjamin

Wed, 18 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Text overflows incorrectly...

Quote:
> Hi,

> Those of you who have worked with "crowded" tables surely know the "text
> overflow" effect, where the following text:

> Might get displayed as

>     word1 word2
>     word3 word4

> or even

>     word1
>     word2
>     word3
>     word4

> Now, the point is, what are you supposed to do if your document is in
> Hebrew, where letters and words are written from right to left? As you can
> imagine, the same sentence rewritten using Hebrew logic reads like this:

> Naturally, you would have to reverse the overflow mechanism as well,
> otherwise the word order becomes distorted, so that you have to read from
> bottom to top:

>     4drow 3drow
>     2drow 1drow

>     4drow
>     3drow
>     2drow
>     1drow

> Since I've never dealt with Hebrew output before, I'm quite clueless as to
> what kind of a workaround would be applicable here. I can manipulate the
> HTML as it gets output, but what kind of manipulation that would be? Will
an
> autonomic shift of Logical/Visual encoding suffice?

Internet Explorer 5 allows you to define the reading order of your content,
wether it is from left-to-right or right-to-left.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/properties/...

--
Thor Larholm

Thu, 19 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Text overflows incorrectly...
Thanks a million, Thor!

Thu, 19 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Text overflows incorrectly...
IE docs include the following named entities you might try:

&lrm;    left-to-right
&rlm;    right-to-left

Then you can use the DIR attribute on an enclosing tag, like

<SPAN DIR="rtl">word1 word2</SPAN>

or on the BDO tag:

<BDO DIR="rtl">word1...</BDO>

I have never tried those, so I can not garantee they work (but they are
documented in the IE docs).

Otherwise, you can replace your spaces with &nbsp;, so that the text won't
be wrapped.

Quote:
> Hi,

> Those of you who have worked with "crowded" tables surely know the "text
> overflow" effect, where the following text:

> Might get displayed as

>     word1 word2
>     word3 word4

> or even

>     word1
>     word2
>     word3
>     word4

> Now, the point is, what are you supposed to do if your document is in
> Hebrew, where letters and words are written from right to left? As you can
> imagine, the same sentence rewritten using Hebrew logic reads like this:

> Naturally, you would have to reverse the overflow mechanism as well,
> otherwise the word order becomes distorted, so that you have to read from
> bottom to top:

>     4drow 3drow
>     2drow 1drow

>     4drow
>     3drow
>     2drow
>     1drow

> Since I've never dealt with Hebrew output before, I'm quite clueless as to
> what kind of a workaround would be applicable here. I can manipulate the
> HTML as it gets output, but what kind of manipulation that would be? Will
an
> autonomic shift of Logical/Visual encoding suffice?

> Any ideas will be highly appreciated,

> Thanks in advance,
> Benjamin

Fri, 20 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Text overflows incorrectly...

2. ps2pdf converts color incorrectly

3. IE5 Scopes Incorrectly

4. Zapf Dingbat prints incorrectly

5. Form Submitted Incorrectly

6. Scheduled script runs incorrectly

7. VBS Sign Extending Variables Incorrectly?

8. gs8.x, shift overflows

9. stack overflow with large PS file

10. stack overflow on 1 comp but not another.

11. jscript stack overflow

12. a2ps and input buffer overflow