One-time use Intial entry page to web
Author Message
 One-time use Intial entry page to web

I'm new to jscript and wanted to see if there was a way to
use jscript to bring up a "splash page' (product picture)
that would appear for 5 seconds (or until the user mouse
clicked) only, the first time for someone came to my web
site. After the initial display the user would only see
the home (index.htm) page.

I would appreciate any solution insight/code examples
offered...

Thanks, John

Sat, 31 Jan 2004 23:37:41 GMT
 One-time use Intial entry page to web
Try looking into use of cookies

http://tech.irt.org/articles/script11.htm
http://www.webreference.com/js/column8/property.html

For example: - 3 pages: index.html (checks for cookie); splash.html (splash
screen with picture); main.html (your main page)

If the cookie exists redirect to the main page (using location.href or
location.replace [so when people click the back button on the toolbar it
doesn't reload the same page])
If it doesn't redirect to the splash page (same method) and add the
following between the <HEAD> and </HEAD> tags:

<META http-equiv="refresh" content="5; url=main.html">

Quote:
> I'm new to jscript and wanted to see if there was a way to
> use jscript to bring up a "splash page' (product picture)
> that would appear for 5 seconds (or until the user mouse
> clicked) only, the first time for someone came to my web
> site. After the initial display the user would only see
> the home (index.htm) page.

> I would appreciate any solution insight/code examples
> offered...

> Thanks, John

Sun, 01 Feb 2004 00:34:04 GMT
 One-time use Intial entry page to web

Quote:

> I'm new to jscript and wanted to see if there was a way to
> use jscript to bring up a "splash page' (product picture)
> that would appear for 5 seconds (or until the user mouse
> clicked) only, the first time for someone came to my web
> site.

<script type="text/javascript">
if (!document.cookie) {
  document.cookie = 'wah';
Quote:
}

else {
  location.replace(new url);
Quote:
}

window.setTimeout('location.href="new url"',5000);
</script>

Johann
--
Monotone Scheisshausparolen!
Ihr wollt nicht sachlich sein, Ihr wollt den DAU!

Sun, 01 Feb 2004 02:28:39 GMT
 One-time use Intial entry page to web

Quote:

> > I'm new to jscript and wanted to see if there was a way to
> > use jscript to bring up a "splash page' (product picture)
> > that would appear for 5 seconds (or until the user mouse
> > clicked) only, the first time for someone came to my web
> > site.

BTW, "splash screens" for web sites are very annoying and can cause people
to ignore your site and never to come back.

If you decide to go with it though, you need to make sure the page refreshes
even if the user doesn't have JScript enabled, so using the old:

trick should work (although I think I have the syntax wrong...)

Peter

Sun, 01 Feb 2004 08:15:09 GMT
 One-time use Intial entry page to web

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 One-time use Intial entry page to web

Quote:

> BTW, "splash screens" for web sites are very annoying and can cause people
> to ignore your site and never to come back.

That depends on the page's audience. I wouldn't expect a splash page for
Google, either. But for something personal, it's great.

Johann
--
Monotone Scheisshausparolen!
Ihr wollt nicht sachlich sein, Ihr wollt den DAU!
HIER BIN ICH !!!

Sun, 01 Feb 2004 08:23:36 GMT
 One-time use Intial entry page to web

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 One-time use Intial entry page to web

Quote:

> > > I'm new to jscript and wanted to see if there was a way to
> > > use jscript to bring up a "splash page' (product picture)
> > > that would appear for 5 seconds (or until the user mouse
> > > clicked) only, the first time for someone came to my web
> > > site.

> BTW, "splash screens" for web sites are very annoying and can cause
people
> to ignore your site and never to come back.

> If you decide to go with it though, you need to make sure the page
refreshes
> even if the user doesn't have JScript enabled, so using the old:

And if they've disabled meta refreshes  ??  (Such as Opera and IE6 allow)

Jim.

Sun, 01 Feb 2004 17:43:32 GMT
 One-time use Intial entry page to web

Quote:

> And if they've disabled meta refreshes  ??  (Such as Opera and IE6 allow)

That's why should always put a link to the next page as well.

Johann
--
Monotone Scheisshausparolen!
Ihr wollt nicht sachlich sein, Ihr wollt den DAU!
HIER BIN ICH !!!

Sun, 01 Feb 2004 18:06:06 GMT

1. Passing variables from one web page to another web page using JavaScript

2. server time reported on .asp web pages, how do I report client side time correctly

3. IIS how to find http:// entry for web pages

4. Creating Word Document from Form Entry on Web Pages

5. How can I print one page multiple times?

6. One image multiple times per page

7. print ONE page several times?

8. Can one web Page do that?

9. Display other web pages on a timed basis

10. Web page contains script that takes an unusually long time to run

11. pass a form from web page to web page

12. pass a form from web page to web page