invoke command line action from browser?
Author Message
 invoke command line action from browser?

I'm working on a digital-dashboard-based intranet (IE5+), and need to launch
project 2000, with a specific project, from the browser window. From the
command line, it's this:

winproj.exe <DSN>\project name

Is there some way of doing this in a browser?

Thanks,
Kris Rudin

Sun, 10 Oct 2004 05:14:23 GMT
 invoke command line action from browser?

Quote:
> I'm working on a digital-dashboard-based intranet (IE5+), and need to launch
> project 2000, with a specific project, from the browser window. From the
> command line, it's this:

> winproj.exe <DSN>\project name

> Is there some way of doing this in a browser?

Not without using an "unsafe" activex component (like WScript.Shell)...

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

Sun, 10 Oct 2004 05:25:31 GMT
 invoke command line action from browser?
But in an intranet application, wouldn't that be acceptable? Could you
provide mroe info on this, or point me to some documentation?

Thanks!

Kris

Quote:
> I'm working on a digital-dashboard-based intranet (IE5+), and need to
launch
> project 2000, with a specific project, from the browser window. From the
> command line, it's this:

> winproj.exe <DSN>\project name

> Is there some way of doing this in a browser?

Not without using an "unsafe" activex component (like WScript.Shell)...

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting
Seattle WA US
--

Sun, 10 Oct 2004 05:32:41 GMT
 invoke command line action from browser?

Quote:

> But in an intranet application, wouldn't that be acceptable? Could you
> provide mroe info on this, or point me to some documentation?

Q195826 - PRB: CreateObject Fails from Client-Side Scripts
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q195/8/26.ASP

Description of Internet Explorer Security Zones Registry Entries
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q182/5/69.asp

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

Sun, 10 Oct 2004 05:47:39 GMT
 invoke command line action from browser?
Kris -

You might also want to consider using an HTML Application for this since it gets
around some of the issues for Intranet applications.

Another thing - I don't know that much about the Project automation model, but
you should be able to instantiate project using ActiveX instead of running it
from the shell - this will give you more control and won't tie you to fixed
paths.

Quote:
> But in an intranet application, wouldn't that be acceptable? Could you
> provide mroe info on this, or point me to some documentation?

> Thanks!

> Kris

> > I'm working on a digital-dashboard-based intranet (IE5+), and need to
> launch
> > project 2000, with a specific project, from the browser window. From the
> > command line, it's this:

> > winproj.exe <DSN>\project name

> > Is there some way of doing this in a browser?

> Not without using an "unsafe" activex component (like WScript.Shell)...

> --
> Michael Harris
> Microsoft.MVP.Scripting
> Seattle WA US
> --

Sun, 10 Oct 2004 07:35:49 GMT

1. invoke command line action from browser?

2. Command line to invoke File Manager?

3. Passing values into and out of Command Line application *and* command line prompt in vbscript

4. Scripting command line applications & Command Line Prompting

5. Browser window opens behind command line window on 2000 machine

6. Browser window opens behind command line window on 2000 machine

7. Running UI program using command line and browser

8. How to execute a command line command from a *.HTA

9. Sleep command and running a command line in VBScript

10. Help: how to use vbscript to invoke a DOS command

11. invoking the command prompt from asp code

12. Stop command does NOT invoke debugger