window.open(url, new_name) can break cookies in IE 5.5
Author Message
 window.open(url, new_name) can break cookies in IE 5.5

Let's say the current window's name is "old_window".  If you call:

     window.open("C:\WIN\index.html", "old_window");

then the current window is reused and the URL is as typed:

    C:\WIN\index.html

If, on the other hand, you open a window with a new name:

    window.open("C:\WIN\index.html", "new_window");

then a second window appears, with a "refreshed" URL:

  C:\win\index.html

This lowercasing of "win" causes cookies saved under C:\WIN\ to
fail.  Through a bunch of testing I've found that document/cookie
associations are case-sensitive, even though Windows isn't.

My quick fix is to use an entry page which opens my main window
[which writes cookies] with a new name, and then closes the entry
page via parent.close().  The main window now has a refreshed URL
(with the lowercase win), which provides consistency with any
windows that it pops up itself, some of which read cookies.

Of course, if someone loads the main page directly using a capitalized
"WIN" in the URL, the cookies will break.  I'll just have to make sure
no one can access the main page without first going through the entry
page...

Do you know of any other workarounds for this problem, preferably
something more robust?

Trav

--
Travis Emmitt
Boxer Learning

Sat, 11 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. windows open and close problem between IE 4.0 and IE 5.0/5.5

2. Unable to open new window on IE 5.5

3. window.open doesn`t work on my IE 5.5

4. Problem with window opened with window.open method in IE

5. window.name bug in IE 5.5

6. Windows Script debugger update and IE 5.5

7. Windows 2000 IE 5.5 SP1 patch file not accepting /Q option

8. Closing windows without warning in IE 5.5

9. Active X controls not working in IE 5.5 but works in IE 6.0

10. I.E. 5.5 Scripting error

11. ASP with I.E. 5.5 problem

12. scripting customized settings for I.E. 5.5 SP2 browsers question