Pocket Outlook - Delete all contacts belonging to a category
Author Message
 Pocket Outlook - Delete all contacts belonging to a category

As far as I can see, there is no GUI method on the Pocket PC for a user to
delete all contacts that belong to a certain category. So, does anyone know
how this may be accomplished from the Pocket PC side? Perhaps one of you
have seen a JScript to do this.

Charlie

Mon, 06 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Pocket Outlook - Delete all contacts belonging to a category

Mass add/delete tools don't really exist on the Pocket PC - I think the
assumption (good or bad) was that people would use their desktop for complex
manipulation of data.

Quote:
> As far as I can see, there is no GUI method on the Pocket PC for a user to
> delete all contacts that belong to a certain category. So, does anyone
know
> how this may be accomplished from the Pocket PC side? Perhaps one of you
> have seen a JScript to do this.

> Charlie

Mon, 06 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Pocket Outlook - Delete all contacts belonging to a category

Quote:
> Mass add/delete tools don't really exist on the Pocket PC - I think the
> assumption (good or bad) was that people would use their desktop for
complex
> manipulation of data.

Jason,

I think you were the one who posted that helpful link to the MS web site
where they tout the enterprise features of the Pocket PC. Why are these
things attractive to enterprises? Because it allows a mobile work force to
accomplish work that used to require a desktop PC. So, to expect a user to
manipluate data when they are back at the PC takes a lot away from these
devices. Besides, some of this data will not reside on their workstations,
rather Notes and Exchange servers.

Let me give a scenario where the mass delete is needed on the Pocket PC
side:

- User syncs Pocket PC with network server using the XTNDConnect Server
product.
- User has choice to bring down public address books, in addition to
personal address book. One of these address books contains around 14,000
entries.
- As the contact records are synced to the Pocket PC, they are categorized
so they can be kept separated.
- Later, user no longer needs 14,000 address list and wants to delete to
free up memory. And here is where the problem comes in. Selecting some
contacts on the screen and then deleting takes a very long time for 14,000
contacts. The user does not have the option to manipluate the data at the
PC, becase this data does not reside there.

If any CE programmers are reading this, I think you would be able to sell an
add-on product that will accomplish mass data management in Pocket Outlook.

Charlie

Mon, 06 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Pocket Outlook - Delete all contacts belonging to a category

Charles,

These devices are not stand-alone PC's.  Until you can run the same Outlook
engine on the Pocket PC that you can run on the desktop, you will need a
desktop PC to do some things.

An old boss of mine once spent an entire afternoon entering contacts on his
Nino - then he left it in his trunk (without synching) while he went on a
month long vacation.  He was so enfuriated that he had done all of that work
and lost it that he never used the darn thing again.  The funny thing is
that he blames Philips for the data loss.  He didn't understand that the
Nino needed the PC.

A Pocket PC is not a laptop (though I admit it is pretty darn close!), and
NO PDA will replace a PC completely (until they run the same software).  If
you need full Outlook functionality, you need to lug a laptop around.

You did hit one nail right on the head though.  This would be a great third
party solution!  More programmers use Pocket PC development languages than
those for other PDA's, so you're more likely to see something come along.
I'd suggest looking for Pocket Outlook add-on components, hunt down the
developers, and forward your comments to them.

Later,
Neb

Quote:
> > Mass add/delete tools don't really exist on the Pocket PC - I think the
> > assumption (good or bad) was that people would use their desktop for
> complex
> > manipulation of data.

> Jason,

> I think you were the one who posted that helpful link to the MS web site
> where they tout the enterprise features of the Pocket PC. Why are these
> things attractive to enterprises? Because it allows a mobile work force to
> accomplish work that used to require a desktop PC. So, to expect a user to
> manipluate data when they are back at the PC takes a lot away from these
> devices. Besides, some of this data will not reside on their workstations,
> rather Notes and Exchange servers.

> Let me give a scenario where the mass delete is needed on the Pocket PC
> side:

> - User syncs Pocket PC with network server using the XTNDConnect Server
> product.
> - User has choice to bring down public address books, in addition to
> personal address book. One of these address books contains around 14,000
> entries.
> - As the contact records are synced to the Pocket PC, they are categorized
> so they can be kept separated.
> - Later, user no longer needs 14,000 address list and wants to delete to
> free up memory. And here is where the problem comes in. Selecting some
> contacts on the screen and then deleting takes a very long time for 14,000
> contacts. The user does not have the option to manipluate the data at the
> PC, becase this data does not reside there.

> If any CE programmers are reading this, I think you would be able to sell
an
> add-on product that will accomplish mass data management in Pocket
Outlook.

> Charlie

Mon, 06 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Pocket Outlook - Delete all contacts belonging to a category

Quote:
> If any CE programmers are reading this, I think you would be able to sell
an
> add-on product that will accomplish mass data management in Pocket

Outlook.

Forwarded to the Pocket PC team ;-)

Thanks,

Peter

--
Peter J. Torr - Microsoft Windows Script Program Manager

Please do not e-mail me with questions - post them to this
newsgroup instead. Thankyou!

Mon, 06 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Pocket Outlook - Delete all contacts belonging to a category
Cool!  Great to see MS actually reading (and commenting on) their own
newsgroups!

Later,
Neb

Quote:

> > If any CE programmers are reading this, I think you would be able to
sell
> an
> > add-on product that will accomplish mass data management in Pocket
> Outlook.

> Forwarded to the Pocket PC team ;-)

> Thanks,

> Peter

> --
> Peter J. Torr - Microsoft Windows Script Program Manager

> Please do not e-mail me with questions - post them to this
> newsgroup instead. Thankyou!

Mon, 06 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Contact Categories

2. Microsoft Outlook: Calendar: Hiding appointments and Categories

3. delete all users/contacts in an OU

4. How to create a contact item in Outlook fra a webform

5. Help Help needed Opening Outlook Contacts(public) in VB5

6. Add to Outlook Contacts Field In Task Form?

7. Display Outlook contacts

8. VBscript for the Outlook Contact extract

9. Outlook Contacts Scripts Question

10. Access Link Table :: Outlook Contacts

11. Click Event going right to Contacts in Outlook

12. outlook contact list