Random "'document' is not an object" Error
Author Message
 Random "'document' is not an object" Error

I have a very strange problem in a website I am developing.

I have an ASP page with a combination of VBScript and JScript. This
page features a frame with a timeout set to retrieve the latest
information from the server. The timeout is set using the
Windows.SetTimeout JScript function and calls a function within the
page.

If I open the page from our live server and leave it, it works fine and
the page refreshes as desired at the specified interval. However, if I
start doing other things in the computer, the page eventually bombs out
with the following error:

"Error: 'document' is not an object".

I am given a line number but the line does not make a sensible match to
a line which uses the document object.

I am totally baffled by this one. Why would it work for ages and then,
when I start doing other things in the computer, it falls over?

I am using IE5 and IIS4.0.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give,

Ben

--
Benjamin Abbott
Systems Development Consultant

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Sat, 17 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Random "'document' is not an object" Error
Having done some more research, the problem definitely looks like a
client-side JScript bug in IE5. Here is the code that causes the error:

function funcwrite() {

        var placeie = parent.frames['tmi'];

        placeie.document.all['BidAmount'].innerHTML="3";   <-- HERE!

TIA,

Ben

Quote:

--
Benjamin Abbott
Systems Development Consultant
SimCorp Financial Training A/S
Copenhagen, Denmark

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sat, 17 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Strange "Expected '('" Error

2. "Uspecified Error" when creating document object

3. What's ".error"?

4. Replace(strEntity,"'","''") doubles single quotes in database

5. Error in Logon Script - "Object doesn't support this property or method: 'Groups'"

6. "Object doesn't support this property or method: 'WScript.Sleep'" Error

7. can't create object 'ADsSecurity"

8. Object required: '[string: "/UploadedDocs/CDN/In"]' error, can you help?

9. JScript does NOT catch "Object doesn't support this property" errors

10. JScript does NOT catch "Object doesn't support this property" errors

11. JScript does NOT catch "Object doesn't support this property" errors

12. "Access denied" on document.LastModified Object