InsertCell Bug found in IE6 Q323759 patch
Author Message
 InsertCell Bug found in IE6 Q323759 patch

I have seen two recent posts in this forum about this
issue, one by George and the other by acspain.  The
problem is that, after downloading the August 2002:
Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer (Q323759), DHTML
insertCell does not work as it did previously.  It in fact
causes a complete crash of IE and spawns a "submit error
report" screen.

This code works on machines that have not installed the
patch but crashes those that have the patch.

This is the table setup.  I am trying to insert a cell
into oTRow0.  This is a very simplistic example.  My real
application needs to be able to generate the table on the
ASP side and then do cell inserts on the javascript client
side.

<TABLE ID="oTable" BORDER BGCOLOR="lightslategray">
<TBODY ID="oTBody0"><tr id="oTRow0"></tr></TBODY>
<TBODY ID="oTBody1"></TBODY>
</TABLE>

The javascript in question is as follows.  Just a simple
line of code that works pre-patch but not post-patch.

oCell = oTRow0.insertCell();

This is the line that causes the crash of IE.  The
following is the entire page.  I took it from a MS example
of the Table Object Model.  Try it out on a machine that
has the patch and one that does not.

If anyone has any ideas on why this is happening or what I
might be able to do about it, please let me know.  I will
likely be making a support call to MS as well.  This is a
major issue for my product as we do insertCells for nearly
all of our pages.

Thanks for your help,

Greg McDonald

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META NAME="GENERATOR" Content="Microsoft Visual Studio
6.0">
<TITLE></TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P>&nbsp;</P>

<TABLE ID="oTable" BORDER BGCOLOR="lightslategray">
<TBODY ID="oTBody0"><tr id="oTRow0"></tr></TBODY>
<TBODY ID="oTBody1"></TBODY>
</TABLE>

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JScript">
// Declare variables and create the header, footer, and
caption.
var oTHead = oTable.createTHead();
var oTFoot = oTable.createTFoot();
var oCaption = oTable.createCaption();
var oRow, oCell;
var i, j;

// Declare stock data that would normally be retrieved
from a stock Web site.
var heading = new Array;

heading[0] = "Stock symbol";
heading[1] = "High";
heading[2] = "Low";
heading[3] = "Close";

var stock = new Array;

stock["0,0"] = "ABCD";
stock["0,1"] = "88.625";
stock["0,2"] = "85.50";
stock["0,3"] = "85.81";

stock["1,0"] = "EFGH";
stock["1,1"] = "102.75";
stock["1,2"] = "97.50";
stock["1,3"] = "100.063";

stock["2,0"] = "IJKL";
stock["2,1"] = "56.125";
stock["2,2"] = "54.50";
stock["2,3"] = "55.688";

stock["3,0"] = "MNOP";
stock["3,1"] = "71.75";
stock["3,2"] = "69.00";
stock["3,3"] = "69.00";

// Insert a row into the header.
oRow = oTHead.insertRow();
oTHead.bgColor = "lightskyblue";

// Insert cells into the header row.
for (i=0; i<4; i++)
{
  oCell = oRow.insertCell();
  oCell.align = "center";
  oCell.style.fontWeight = "bold";
  oCell.innerText = heading[i];

Quote:
}

// Insert rows and cells into the first body.
for (i=0; i<2; i++)
{
  for (j=0; j<4; j++)
  {
//<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<OFFENSIVE CODE BELOW HERE!
    oCell = oTRow0.insertCell();
//<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<OFFENSIVE CODE ABOVE HERE!
        oCell.innerText = stock[i + "," + j];
  }

Quote:
}

// Set the background color of the first body.
oTBody0.bgColor = "lemonchiffon";

// Insert rows and cells into the second body.
for (i=2; i<4; i++)
{
  oRow = oTBody1.insertRow();
  for (j=0; j<4; j++)
  {
    oCell = oRow.insertCell();
        oCell.innerText = stock[i + "," + j];
  }

Quote:
}

// Set the background color of the second body.
oTBody1.bgColor = "goldenrod";

// Insert rows and cells into the footer row.
oRow = oTFoot.insertRow();
oCell = oRow.insertCell();
oCell.innerText = "Quotes are for example only.";
oCell.colSpan = "4";
oCell.bgColor = "lightskyblue";

// Set the innerText of the caption and position it at the
bottom of the table.
oCaption.innerText = "Created using Table Object Model."
oCaption.style.fontSize = "10";
oCaption.align = "bottom";
</SCRIPT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

Sun, 20 Feb 2005 03:11:37 GMT
 InsertCell Bug found in IE6 Q323759 patch
Quick update on this:

I called MS and they are aware that this is a bug and are
testing a solution for it.  I'm guessing there will be
some sort of hotfix made available within a week.

Quote:

Sun, 20 Feb 2005 05:44:08 GMT
 InsertCell Bug found in IE6 Q323759 patch
Greetings,

While it is a pain, there is a simple fix.

instead of using insertCell(x) use the following.

var oCell0 = document.createElement('TD')
//oRow is a pointer to the current row.
oRow.insertAdjacentElement('beforeEnd', oCell0)

This is not affected by the bug. Works just as well.

Let us know if it worked.

Cheers,
Crispin

Quote:
> [...]

> // Insert rows and cells into the second body.
> for (i=2; i<4; i++)
> {
>   oRow = oTBody1.insertRow();
>   for (j=0; j<4; j++)
>   {
>     oCell = oRow.insertCell();
> oCell.innerText = stock[i + "," + j];
>   }
> }

> // Set the background color of the second body.
> oTBody1.bgColor = "goldenrod";

> // Insert rows and cells into the footer row.
> oRow = oTFoot.insertRow();
> oCell = oRow.insertCell();
> oCell.innerText = "Quotes are for example only.";
> oCell.colSpan = "4";
> oCell.bgColor = "lightskyblue";

> // Set the innerText of the caption and position it at the
> bottom of the table.
> oCaption.innerText = "Created using Table Object Model."

Sun, 20 Feb 2005 14:34:16 GMT
 InsertCell Bug found in IE6 Q323759 patch
I had posted my original post about this in the IE5.5 group.  Not that it
matters now, but here was the original text:

After installing the update (Q323759), a call to get the number of columns
in a row dies if the row does not contain any columns at all.  Here is a URL
that shows the behavior:

http://www.serviceu.com/support/documents/HelpSystem/iebug.htm

Listed below is the code for this page in case you've already installed the
update.  If there is someone from Microsoft on this group, please let me
know if this looks like a valid problem.

(I have seen some other strange behavior when it comes to scripting tables
and this update, but I will not overload you all with other problems yet.)

Micky McQuade

<head>
<title>IE Bug</title>
</head>

<script language="JavaScript">
 // Get the row
 var objRow2 = document.getElementById('Row2');

 // Kills IE
 var objTD = objRow2.insertCell(objRow2.cells.length);

 // Append test text to the cell
 objTD.appendChild(document.createTextNode('test'));
</script>

Quote:
> Quick update on this:

> I called MS and they are aware that this is a bug and are
> testing a solution for it.  I'm guessing there will be
> some sort of hotfix made available within a week.

Mon, 21 Feb 2005 00:11:52 GMT
 InsertCell Bug found in IE6 Q323759 patch
There will be a Microsoft hotfix for this problem.  Here
is a link to information about it:

us;Q328592

Quote:

Mon, 21 Feb 2005 23:05:53 GMT
 InsertCell Bug found in IE6 Q323759 patch
See the solution above... Use document.createElement('TD')
and append it to the row.

Crispin

Wed, 23 Feb 2005 19:59:36 GMT

1. Tensor product patch fill documentation bug

2. Bug in security patch MS02-009

3. gs-4.01 bug+patch: arct/arcto does not add straight line segment

4. gs3.33 and font2c bugs (with patches)

5. Psroff 3.0 patch 17 posted to comp.sources.bugs,alt.sources

6. Psroff 3.0 Patch 15 posted to comp.sources.bugs, alt.sources

7. - BUG: Latest Security Patch (Q316059) Crashes Internet Explorer When You Call execScript

8. BUG Problem PDF file reading in some IE6's

9. IE6 bug

10. BUG Problem PDF file reading in some IE6's

11. OT: How DOES one report IE6 bugs?

12. BJC 600 patch - where to find