not exactely scripting but don't know where else
Author Message
 not exactely scripting but don't know where else

Hi,

I have a problem when sending variables and wanting them put in a
database when comming from flash. When I send the variables in Netscape
(flash or not) or from a page without flash it works but not when from a
flash.
The problem is it doesn't get the referer asked.

The code used to get the referer used is this one :
 <CFSET Form.Activite = UCase(REReplaceNoCase(CGI.HTTP_REFERER,
"(.*body_) | (\..*)", "","ALL"))>
I must also add that the pages start with "body_" and I only want to get
the middle part. But even with using just the CGI.HTTP_REFERER it
doesn't work.

Please help, or reffer me to the right address!!

Thanks you very much

Stephane

Sat, 25 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 not exactely scripting but don't know where else
Do you think perhaps the variables might be being killed at some point in
the process?

You could use hidden form fields to store the variables, as a temporary
storage space, then refer to them as you need them.

Quote:
> Hi,

> I have a problem when sending variables and wanting them put in a
> database when comming from flash. When I send the variables in Netscape
> (flash or not) or from a page without flash it works but not when from a
> flash.
> The problem is it doesn't get the referer asked.

> The code used to get the referer used is this one :
>  <CFSET Form.Activite = UCase(REReplaceNoCase(CGI.HTTP_REFERER,
> "(.*body_) | (\..*)", "","ALL"))>
> I must also add that the pages start with "body_" and I only want to get
> the middle part. But even with using just the CGI.HTTP_REFERER it
> doesn't work.

> Please help, or reffer me to the right address!!

> Thanks you very much

> Stephane

Sun, 26 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 not exactely scripting but don't know where else

Quote:
> Hi,

> I have a problem when sending variables and wanting them put in a
> database when comming from flash. When I send the variables in Netscape
> (flash or not) or from a page without flash it works but not when from a
> flash.
> The problem is it doesn't get the referer asked.

Hi,

The problem is that the HTTP_REFERER header is not a required header. It
cannot be relied upon in any given situation; it is merely a standard (but
optional and incorrectly spelt!) header that will sometimes be provided and
sometimes not. See the definition from the HTTP 1.1 spec below.

Peter

PS. Why not try out ASP and Visual InterDev instead of Cold Fusion...?
hahaha ;-)

--
Peter J. Torr - Microsoft Windows Script Program Manager

Please do not e-mail me with questions - post them to this
newsgroup instead. Thankyou!

[ From ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2616.txt ]

14.36 Referer

   The Referer[sic] request-header field allows the client to specify,
   for the server's benefit, the address (URI) of the resource from
   which the Request-URI was obtained (the "referrer", although the
   header field is misspelled.) The Referer request-header allows a
   server to generate lists of back-links to resources for interest,
   logging, optimized caching, etc. It also allows obsolete or mistyped
   links to be traced for maintenance. The Referer field MUST NOT be
   sent if the Request-URI was obtained from a source that does not have
   its own URI, such as input from the user keyboard.

       Referer        = "Referer" ":" ( absoluteURI | relativeURI )

   Example:

       Referer: http://www.w3.org/hypertext/DataSources/Overview.html

   If the field value is a relative URI, it SHOULD be interpreted
   relative to the Request-URI. The URI MUST NOT include a fragment. See
   section 15.1.3 for security considerations.

Sun, 26 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 not exactely scripting but don't know where else
Hi,
It seems that your telling me that referer is not obligatory. But it is
in my case.

Here is the situaion (the reason why I need it). I have this site with
activities for learners. These activities are corrected by the system
and sent to the learners "portfolio". So everytime a learner wants to
see what he's done, and what were his answers, he can go see his
portfolio. That i why I need the referer (or something similar). It gets
the page from which he made his activity, and from hat page name, it can
give him the name of the activity he did and makes a link if he wants to
us. Without the referer, it doesn't save to the answers to the
"portfolio".

The first publication of the site was done only for Netscape (sorry) but
now we want to univeralize it. We have drag and drop (also correctable)
and it was fine with the DHTML of one platform but for two the best (and
easiest) way is flash4.

Thanks,

PS. Coldfusion was fine for us, but now that the site is getting bigger
we are considering something from Microsoft to be ableto handle
everything needed. ;-)

Stephane

Quote:

> > Hi,

> > I have a problem when sending variables and wanting them put in a
> > database when comming from flash. When I send the variables in Netscape
> > (flash or not) or from a page without flash it works but not when from a
> > flash.
> > The problem is it doesn't get the referer asked.

> Hi,

> The problem is that the HTTP_REFERER header is not a required header. It
> cannot be relied upon in any given situation; it is merely a standard (but
> optional and incorrectly spelt!) header that will sometimes be provided and
> sometimes not. See the definition from the HTTP 1.1 spec below.

> Peter

> PS. Why not try out ASP and Visual InterDev instead of Cold Fusion...?
> hahaha ;-)

> --
> Peter J. Torr - Microsoft Windows Script Program Manager

> Please do not e-mail me with questions - post them to this
> newsgroup instead. Thankyou!

> [ From ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2616.txt ]

> 14.36 Referer

>    The Referer[sic] request-header field allows the client to specify,
>    for the server's benefit, the address (URI) of the resource from
>    which the Request-URI was obtained (the "referrer", although the
>    header field is misspelled.) The Referer request-header allows a
>    server to generate lists of back-links to resources for interest,
>    logging, optimized caching, etc. It also allows obsolete or mistyped
>    links to be traced for maintenance. The Referer field MUST NOT be
>    sent if the Request-URI was obtained from a source that does not have
>    its own URI, such as input from the user keyboard.

>        Referer        = "Referer" ":" ( absoluteURI | relativeURI )

>    Example:

>        Referer: http://www.w3.org/hypertext/DataSources/Overview.html

>    If the field value is a relative URI, it SHOULD be interpreted
>    relative to the Request-URI. The URI MUST NOT include a fragment. See
>    section 15.1.3 for security considerations.

Sun, 26 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 not exactely scripting but don't know where else

Quote:
> Hi,
> It seems that your telling me that referer is not obligatory. But it is
> in my case.

Hi,

I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but the fact that you need the referrer
isn't going to make the HTTP standard change ;-)

Quote:
> Here is the situaion (the reason why I need it). I have this site with
> activities for learners. These activities are corrected by the system
> and sent to the learners "portfolio". So everytime a learner wants to
> see what he's done, and what were his answers, he can go see his
> portfolio. That i why I need the referer (or something similar). It gets
> the page from which he made his activity, and from hat page name, it can
> give him the name of the activity he did and makes a link if he wants to
> us. Without the referer, it doesn't save to the answers to the
> "portfolio".

You should be doing one of two things:

1) Store session state on the server, so you know what page(s) the person
has been to last.

2) Pass this data between pages as hidden form fields or querystring
parameters.

I'm afraid it is just a simple fact of the web that you cannot rely on the
HTTP_REFERER header to always be there.

Quote:
> PS. Coldfusion was fine for us, but now that the site is getting bigger
> we are considering something from Microsoft to be ableto handle
> everything needed. ;-)

Cool! :-)

Peter

--
Peter J. Torr - Microsoft Windows Script Program Manager

Please do not e-mail me with questions - post them to this
newsgroup instead. Thankyou!

Sun, 26 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Don't know y not work

2. Don't Know who else to ask.

3. syntax error but don't know where

4. Scripts don't go away...

5. Remote Script don't work on NT4 Server

6. Script don't run in Internet Explore

7. Logon script don't work with wsh.

8. Script errors I don't understand

9. network functions don't work in login scripts in 95

10. Don't understand 'Set'

11. Progress or something to let user know script is in progress (WSH, not HTML)

12. KNowing what Dll's to use with scripting