Disabling back button in IE 
Author Message
 Disabling back button in IE

How can I disable the back button in I.E.?.


Tue, 24 Aug 2004 06:45:40 GMT  
 Disabling back button in IE
you can't.

try addressing the issue at hand rather than disabling functionality.

there's a good article on http://www.aspfaqs.com/ addressing this

Atrax - MVP [Microsoft Most Valued Professional]

http://www.infinitemonkeys.ws/

Host with me for $100 a year!
http://www.atrax.ws/hosting/

*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com ***
Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!



Tue, 24 Aug 2004 06:55:36 GMT  
 Disabling back button in IE
We obviously need Microsoft to listen to the Intranet developers and allow
much more control of the browser only in Intranet mode. I basically want
full control of the browser to do what my bosses ask me to do.

Internet is one thing... Intranet is an entirely different thing.


Quote:
> you can't.

> try addressing the issue at hand rather than disabling functionality.

> there's a good article on http://www.aspfaqs.com/ addressing this

> Atrax - MVP [Microsoft Most Valued Professional]

> http://www.infinitemonkeys.ws/

> Host with me for $100 a year!
> http://www.atrax.ws/hosting/

> *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com ***
> Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!



Tue, 24 Aug 2004 07:58:12 GMT  
 Disabling back button in IE

| We obviously need Microsoft to listen to the Intranet developers and allow
| much more control of the browser only in Intranet mode. I basically want
| full control of the browser to do what my bosses ask me to do.

Create a new browser. Use the IE API for navigation and create your own back
buttons in a new program. It shouldn't be that hard.

:: "Ekevu Guepardo" ::
:: Acinonyx jubatus ::
:: Porto Alegre, BR ::



Tue, 24 Aug 2004 08:29:01 GMT  
 Disabling back button in IE
I wish I could tell the thousands of PCs around the world in my company to
upgrade to "my" browser. I'm sure that'll fly.


Quote:

> | We obviously need Microsoft to listen to the Intranet developers and
allow
> | much more control of the browser only in Intranet mode. I basically want
> | full control of the browser to do what my bosses ask me to do.

> Create a new browser. Use the IE API for navigation and create your own
back
> buttons in a new program. It shouldn't be that hard.

> :: "Ekevu Guepardo" ::
> :: Acinonyx jubatus ::
> :: Porto Alegre, BR ::



Tue, 24 Aug 2004 09:25:34 GMT  
 Disabling back button in IE

| I wish I could tell the thousands of PCs around the world in my company to
| upgrade to "my" browser. I'm sure that'll fly.

Hey, if that's what your boss wants, that's what your boss wants!

:: "Ekevu Guepardo" ::
:: Acinonyx jubatus ::
:: Porto Alegre, BR ::



Tue, 24 Aug 2004 09:33:20 GMT  
 Disabling back button in IE
alt+left arrow

Atrax - MVP [Microsoft Most Valued Professional]

http://www.infinitemonkeys.ws/

Host with me for $100 a year!
http://www.atrax.ws/hosting/

*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com ***
Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!



Tue, 24 Aug 2004 09:33:09 GMT  
 Disabling back button in IE
why? so you can indulge in control-freakery? there is no valid reason
why you would nbeed to disable the back button, in my opinion. worried
about data integrity and multiple submissions? there are better
solutions. a good developer will have no need to hobble a browser
because he can't figure out how to solve a 'problem' it may cause.

you need to read some articles on usability. try Jakob Nielsen to start
with : http://www.useit.com/alertbox/

just because you're on an intranet doesn't mean you should cripple a
user's control over his or her browser.

and I'm afraid that there is a lot of potential for abuse in such an
idea as disabling essential navigational devices. you may also benefit
fromreading the article behind this link :
http://www.atrax.ws/default.asp?action=viewArticle&articlePath=994.asp

Atrax - MVP [Microsoft Most Valued Professional]

http://www.infinitemonkeys.ws/

Host with me for $100 a year!
http://www.atrax.ws/hosting/

*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com ***
Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!



Tue, 24 Aug 2004 09:33:10 GMT  
 Disabling back button in IE
if they are using my application on the intranet, then i should have total
control. once they leave my application, everything goes back to normal.
what is so difficult to understand about that?

people who are paid to do a job at work do not need all the features of the
browser. they don't need an address bar, etc...

once you switch out of the intranet zone, then fine... all security rules
should be in place.


Quote:
> why? so you can indulge in control-freakery? there is no valid reason
> why you would nbeed to disable the back button, in my opinion. worried
> about data integrity and multiple submissions? there are better
> solutions. a good developer will have no need to hobble a browser
> because he can't figure out how to solve a 'problem' it may cause.

> you need to read some articles on usability. try Jakob Nielsen to start
> with : http://www.useit.com/alertbox/

> just because you're on an intranet doesn't mean you should cripple a
> user's control over his or her browser.

> and I'm afraid that there is a lot of potential for abuse in such an
> idea as disabling essential navigational devices. you may also benefit
> fromreading the article behind this link :
> http://www.atrax.ws/default.asp?action=viewArticle&articlePath=994.asp

> Atrax - MVP [Microsoft Most Valued Professional]

> http://www.infinitemonkeys.ws/

> Host with me for $100 a year!
> http://www.atrax.ws/hosting/

> *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com ***
> Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!



Tue, 24 Aug 2004 11:03:30 GMT  
 Disabling back button in IE
if you want that much control you shouldn't be accessing it via a
browser. you should be creating your OWN interface. like folks did back
before the idea of using your intranet for absolutely everything, even
stuff that it's not suited to running.

if you don't need a browser, don't {*filter*}y use one.

Atrax - MVP [Microsoft Most Valued Professional]

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Host with me for $100 a year!
http://www.*-*-*.com/

*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.*-*-*.com/ ***
Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!



Tue, 24 Aug 2004 11:15:39 GMT  
 Disabling back button in IE

Quote:
> I wish I could tell the thousands of PCs around the world in my company to
> upgrade to "my" browser. I'm sure that'll fly.

Tell your boss that's what it'll require for his "idea" to fly!  Or, code
the application properly so you don't have to try to eliminate a very
instinctive browser behavior.

www.aspfaq.com



Tue, 24 Aug 2004 11:29:06 GMT  
 Disabling back button in IE

Quote:
> if they are using my application on the intranet, then i should have total
> control.

Are you building an app or a web interface?  Build an app if you want total
control.

Quote:
> people who are paid to do a job at work do not need all the features of
the
> browser. they don't need an address bar, etc...

I think that's a matter of opinion.  If you want your users to access your
app with a browser, then you have to deal with all of the features the
browser ships with.  Besides, you can't do it, so your arguments are wasted.
Write your own browser if you want this kind of control.

www.aspfaq.com



Tue, 24 Aug 2004 11:31:23 GMT  
 Disabling back button in IE
If it is a web app and you are sure people are going to use javascript and IE, You can use this:

document.onkeydown = doOnKeyDown;

function
nKeyDown(){
    if (event.keyCode == 8 ){
        var sTagName = event.srcElement.tagName;
        var sType = event.srcElement.type
        if (!(sTagName == 'TEXTAREA' || sTagName == 'INPUT' && (sType == 'text' || sType == 'password') ) ) {
             window.event.returnValue = false;
        }
    }

Quote:
}

Gerald


Quote:
> > if they are using my application on the intranet, then i should have total
> > control.

> Are you building an app or a web interface?  Build an app if you want total
> control.

> > people who are paid to do a job at work do not need all the features of
> the
> > browser. they don't need an address bar, etc...

> I think that's a matter of opinion.  If you want your users to access your
> app with a browser, then you have to deal with all of the features the
> browser ships with.  Besides, you can't do it, so your arguments are wasted.
> Write your own browser if you want this kind of control.

> www.aspfaq.com



Tue, 24 Aug 2004 18:23:53 GMT  
 Disabling back button in IE


Quote:
> if you want that much control you shouldn't be accessing it via a
> browser. you should be creating your OWN interface. like folks did back
> before the idea of using your intranet for absolutely everything, even
> stuff that it's not suited to running.

> if you don't need a browser, don't {*filter*}y use one.

It's one of the best platforms for delivery of applications though, it's
extremely accessible, browsers work better with screen readers etc. than
applications which you have to create custom scripts for.  There's a huge
amount of resources helping you to develop for the web.  Upgrade is
simple (the source is in a single place, no installation needed.)
Browser based applications within an intranet have huge advantages.

If you do need more control of IE, for some component then
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Jim.



Tue, 24 Aug 2004 19:28:34 GMT  
 Disabling back button in IE
Maybe I didn't implement this code correctly, but even if I launched it in a
new window without the toolbar, I was able to use backspace, alt+L and
right-click, Back.

The key here is that you shouldn't be trying to disable the browser's basic
functions ... you should learn how to write applications that don't require
you to disable anything.

www.aspfaq.com



Quote:
> If it is a web app and you are sure people are going to use javascript and

IE, You can use this:
Quote:

> document.onkeydown = doOnKeyDown;

> function
> nKeyDown(){
>     if (event.keyCode == 8 ){
>         var sTagName = event.srcElement.tagName;
>         var sType = event.srcElement.type
>         if (!(sTagName == 'TEXTAREA' || sTagName == 'INPUT' && (sType ==

'text' || sType == 'password') ) ) {
Quote:
>              window.event.returnValue = false;
>         }
>     }
> }

> Gerald




Quote:
> > > if they are using my application on the intranet, then i should have
total
> > > control.

> > Are you building an app or a web interface?  Build an app if you want
total
> > control.

> > > people who are paid to do a job at work do not need all the features
of
> > the
> > > browser. they don't need an address bar, etc...

> > I think that's a matter of opinion.  If you want your users to access
your
> > app with a browser, then you have to deal with all of the features the
> > browser ships with.  Besides, you can't do it, so your arguments are
wasted.
> > Write your own browser if you want this kind of control.

> > www.aspfaq.com



Tue, 24 Aug 2004 22:44:37 GMT  
 
 [ 30 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2] [3]

 Relevant Pages 

1. Guru required - Disable back button in IE

2. disable Back Button in IE

3. disable IE back button

4. Disabling the back and forward buttons (IE/Netscape)

5. Disabling the back and forward buttons (IE/Netscape)

6. Disable IE Back and Foward Buttons

7. Disable of the back button in IE

8. IE Back Button vs window.history.back()

9. Disabling "BACK"/"FORWARD" buttons

10. Disabling Back Button on Browser

11. Disabling Back Button on Browser

12. disable browser back button

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software