Disabling Alt-F4 in Internet Explorer
Author Message
 Disabling Alt-F4 in Internet Explorer

I have succeeded to disable almost any key by handeling the "onkeydown"
event, by the following function:

function FilterKeys()
{
  event.keyCode = 0;
  event.returnValue = false;

Quote:
}

This blocks almost any key, except Alt-F4 (and F1).
Is there a way to disanble these keys?

Sat, 09 Oct 2004 15:12:06 GMT
 Disabling Alt-F4 in Internet Explorer
no.

http://www.atrax.ws/default.asp?action=viewArticle&articlePath=994.asp

Atrax - MVP [Microsoft Most Valued Professional]

http://www.infinitemonkeys.ws/

Host with me for $100 a year!
http://www.atrax.ws/hosting/

Sat, 09 Oct 2004 15:47:17 GMT
 Disabling Alt-F4 in Internet Explorer
After reading you bit about control freakery Atrax, I was a bit pissed of to
see that your web hosts advertising sneaks a damn pop-under under my
browser.

Thank god nobody can disable the ALT-F4 button or there'd be millions of the
damn things [grin].

Hmm - got the same thing with your advert for web hosting - perhaps I won't
be visting your site again.

Chris Barber.

no.

http://www.atrax.ws/default.asp?action=viewArticle&articlePath=994.asp

Atrax - MVP [Microsoft Most Valued Professional]

http://www.infinitemonkeys.ws/

Host with me for $100 a year!
http://www.atrax.ws/hosting/

Sat, 09 Oct 2004 16:29:50 GMT
 Disabling Alt-F4 in Internet Explorer
You can't, it's intercepted by the shell for some excellent security reasons.
If you need to run a captive desktop for internal purposes, you will need to do
some shell programming work.

You might also want to try posting your question once and then following up in a
day or so if you don't get a response.  Posters are from all over the world, and
someone with a useful answer may not see the post for a good day or so.

Quote:
> I have succeeded to disable almost any key by handeling the "onkeydown"
> event, by the following function:

> function FilterKeys()
> {
>   event.keyCode = 0;
>   event.returnValue = false;
> }

> This blocks almost any key, except Alt-F4 (and F1).
> Is there a way to disanble these keys?

Sat, 09 Oct 2004 19:58:43 GMT
 Disabling Alt-F4 in Internet Explorer
I would hope the Alt-F4 can never be blocked, as annoying pop-up adverts are
not easily killed any other way.

Quote:
> I have succeeded to disable almost any key by handeling the "onkeydown"
> event, by the following function:

> function FilterKeys()
> {
>   event.keyCode = 0;
>   event.returnValue = false;
> }

> This blocks almost any key, except Alt-F4 (and F1).
> Is there a way to disanble these keys?

Sat, 09 Oct 2004 20:50:11 GMT
 Disabling Alt-F4 in Internet Explorer
I agree to a certain extent.  True, web sites should not have control over
whether or not users can close their own browsers, but asp applications for
use over intranets (which share the same security) should be allowed to set
whatever they need to.  I am not talking about ASP over the web, but ASP
over an intranet would be useful.  I guess since the browser doesn't know
which is which, it is just safer to presume security for the web for ALL
applications, but it causes so much strife for us Intranet Application
Developers.

BTW, I have been programming for years, and over these years, I have called
myself a programmer and developer.  What's the difference?

Mythran

Quote:
> I would hope the Alt-F4 can never be blocked, as annoying pop-up adverts
are
> not easily killed any other way.

> > I have succeeded to disable almost any key by handeling the "onkeydown"
> > event, by the following function:

> > function FilterKeys()
> > {
> >   event.keyCode = 0;
> >   event.returnValue = false;
> > }

> > This blocks almost any key, except Alt-F4 (and F1).
> > Is there a way to disanble these keys?

Sat, 09 Oct 2004 23:10:10 GMT
 Disabling Alt-F4 in Internet Explorer
if you need that much control over your app, perhaps you shouldn't be
building it as a web-based intranet? Maybe a more traditional VB
application would do the trick?

Atrax - MVP [Microsoft Most Valued Professional]

http://www.infinitemonkeys.ws/

Host with me for $100 a year!
http://www.atrax.ws/hosting/

Sun, 10 Oct 2004 16:10:42 GMT
 Disabling Alt-F4 in Internet Explorer
I await the punchline *8-)

Quote:
> I agree to a certain extent.  True, web sites should not have control over
> whether or not users can close their own browsers, but asp applications
for
> use over intranets (which share the same security) should be allowed to
set
> whatever they need to.  I am not talking about ASP over the web, but ASP
> over an intranet would be useful.  I guess since the browser doesn't know
> which is which, it is just safer to presume security for the web for ALL
> applications, but it causes so much strife for us Intranet Application
> Developers.

> BTW, I have been programming for years, and over these years, I have
called
> myself a programmer and developer.  What's the difference?

> Mythran

> > I would hope the Alt-F4 can never be blocked, as annoying pop-up adverts
> are
> > not easily killed any other way.

> > > I have succeeded to disable almost any key by handeling the
"onkeydown"
> > > event, by the following function:

> > > function FilterKeys()
> > > {
> > >   event.keyCode = 0;
> > >   event.returnValue = false;
> > > }

> > > This blocks almost any key, except Alt-F4 (and F1).
> > > Is there a way to disanble these keys?

Sun, 10 Oct 2004 16:16:27 GMT
 Disabling Alt-F4 in Internet Explorer
Surely the IE SDK is for building intranet solutions - build your own
release of IE for your own intranet and set the security settings as you
wish?

Chris Barber.

I await the punchline *8-)

Quote:
> I agree to a certain extent.  True, web sites should not have control over
> whether or not users can close their own browsers, but asp applications
for
> use over intranets (which share the same security) should be allowed to
set
> whatever they need to.  I am not talking about ASP over the web, but ASP
> over an intranet would be useful.  I guess since the browser doesn't know
> which is which, it is just safer to presume security for the web for ALL
> applications, but it causes so much strife for us Intranet Application
> Developers.

> BTW, I have been programming for years, and over these years, I have
called
> myself a programmer and developer.  What's the difference?

> Mythran

> > I would hope the Alt-F4 can never be blocked, as annoying pop-up adverts
> are
> > not easily killed any other way.

> > > I have succeeded to disable almost any key by handeling the
"onkeydown"
> > > event, by the following function:

> > > function FilterKeys()
> > > {
> > >   event.keyCode = 0;
> > >   event.returnValue = false;
> > > }

> > > This blocks almost any key, except Alt-F4 (and F1).
> > > Is there a way to disanble these keys?

Sun, 10 Oct 2004 17:18:26 GMT
 Disabling Alt-F4 in Internet Explorer
Darned if I can *figure out* a punch line...

Well, I could say something about developers being able to do "foo-foo" stuff,
or "a developer is someone who thinks HTML is a programming language"... but my
job role right now is "developer wannabe", so I won't say that.  :)

Quote:
> I await the punchline *8-)

(SNIP)
Quote:

> > BTW, I have been programming for years, and over these years, I have
> called
> > myself a programmer and developer.  What's the difference?

> > Mythran

Sun, 10 Oct 2004 19:52:18 GMT
 Disabling Alt-F4 in Internet Explorer
tada....no punch line.

HTML is a programming langauge (no not really).  Hmm...define programming
language and then check HTML to see if it is or not.  By definition, I don't
think it is.  Most likely because it lacks the smallest abilities of all
programming languages (math functions, data types, et cetera).  Wait a
second, VBScript doesn't have any data types (defined) either, does this
mean that VBScript isn't a programming language?/??? (of course not,
VBScript is).  But wait, is scripting actually programming?  Dang, confusing
myself.....gotta get back to work......making money for wife now, have fun.

Mythran

Quote:
> Darned if I can *figure out* a punch line...

> Well, I could say something about developers being able to do "foo-foo"
stuff,
> or "a developer is someone who thinks HTML is a programming language"...
but my
> job role right now is "developer wannabe", so I won't say that.  :)

> > I await the punchline *8-)

> (SNIP)

> > > BTW, I have been programming for years, and over these years, I have
> > called
> > > myself a programmer and developer.  What's the difference?

> > > Mythran

Sun, 10 Oct 2004 23:22:38 GMT
 Disabling Alt-F4 in Internet Explorer
well...it's a "what am I the most of" kind of thing maybe... HTML has document
markup in spades, even has page layout.... VBScript has MsgBox, InputBox, and if
you want to monkey around with masks, you can left-justify the text.  So since
it doesn't do markup either, it's a programming language until someone else
claims it.

Quote:
> tada....no punch line.

> HTML is a programming langauge (no not really).  Hmm...define programming
> language and then check HTML to see if it is or not.  By definition, I don't
> think it is.  Most likely because it lacks the smallest abilities of all
> programming languages (math functions, data types, et cetera).  Wait a
> second, VBScript doesn't have any data types (defined) either, does this
> mean that VBScript isn't a programming language?/??? (of course not,
> VBScript is).  But wait, is scripting actually programming?  Dang, confusing
> myself.....gotta get back to work......making money for wife now, have fun.

> Mythran

> > Darned if I can *figure out* a punch line...

> > Well, I could say something about developers being able to do "foo-foo"
> stuff,
> > or "a developer is someone who thinks HTML is a programming language"...
> but my
> > job role right now is "developer wannabe", so I won't say that.  :)

> > > I await the punchline *8-)

> > (SNIP)

> > > called

Mon, 11 Oct 2004 09:13:02 GMT
 Disabling Alt-F4 in Internet Explorer
html can only define a document layout, whereas a programming language
should have structures for iteration, conditional execution and variables at
a minimum really.

What do I win?

Quote:
> tada....no punch line.

> HTML is a programming langauge (no not really).  Hmm...define programming
> language and then check HTML to see if it is or not.  By definition, I
don't
> think it is.  Most likely because it lacks the smallest abilities of all
> programming languages (math functions, data types, et cetera).  Wait a
> second, VBScript doesn't have any data types (defined) either, does this
> mean that VBScript isn't a programming language?/??? (of course not,
> VBScript is).  But wait, is scripting actually programming?  Dang,
confusing
> myself.....gotta get back to work......making money for wife now, have
fun.

> Mythran

wrote

> > Darned if I can *figure out* a punch line...

> > Well, I could say something about developers being able to do "foo-foo"
> stuff,
> > or "a developer is someone who thinks HTML is a programming language"...
> but my
> > job role right now is "developer wannabe", so I won't say that.  :)

> > > I await the punchline *8-)

> > (SNIP)

> > > called

Tue, 12 Oct 2004 19:40:08 GMT
 Disabling Alt-F4 in Internet Explorer

Quote:
> What do I win?

** clap clap clap applause clap clap clap **

          That is what you win.

** clap clap clap applause clap clap clap **

Mythran

Tue, 12 Oct 2004 23:02:03 GMT
 Disabling Alt-F4 in Internet Explorer
Hey, I gotta pay for hosting somehow ;-) I've been debating disabling
the {*filter*}y popups, perhaps I will now...

Atrax - MVP [Microsoft Most Valued Professional]

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Host with me for $100 a year!
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Thu, 14 Oct 2004 14:19:02 GMT

 [ 17 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Disabling Alt-F4 in Internet Explorer

2. Disabling Alt-F4 in Internet Explorer

3. Disabling Close Button and Alt+F4

4. How to disable ALT-F4

5. Can I escape Alt+F4 pressed by users for a created object

6. Disable default-action of function key's in Internet Explorer

7. Disable default-actions function key's in Internet Explorer

8. **Priority 1** Visual Basic 6 > Catch ALT-TAB and ALT-F4...

9. disable ctrl alt del

10. Internet Explorer Navigation/History

11. Internet Explorer

12. Internet Explorer 6