Javascript includes - OK in Pocket PC?
Author Message
 Javascript includes - OK in Pocket PC?

I would like to re-code my personal site so that it works on Pocket PCs.
However, I have a suspicion that javascript include files are being ignored,
and as I cannot use ASP to dynamically build pages, shared javascript source
files are my only solution.

I have tried putting in browser detect code for Pocket PC and I have found
that:

** It works if placed in a script block written on the HTML page itself
** It fails if I do the same in the included .js file

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Also, if you know of any useful developr documents specifically dealing with
Pocket PCs, please provide some URLs!

Many thanks ..

Find the site in question here: http://www.*-*-*.com/

--
Ian Lloyd

-------------------------

"It's so simple even a child could use it!"
"Then fetch me a child."

Sat, 17 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Javascript includes - OK in Pocket PC?

says...

Quote:
> I would like to re-code my personal site so that it works on Pocket PCs.
> However, I have a suspicion that javascript include files are being ignored,
> and as I cannot use ASP to dynamically build pages, shared javascript source
> files are my only solution.

> I have tried putting in browser detect code for Pocket PC and I have found
> that:

> ** It works if placed in a script block written on the HTML page itself
> ** It fails if I do the same in the included .js file

> If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

> Also, if you know of any useful developr documents specifically dealing with
> Pocket PCs, please provide some URLs!

> Many thanks ..

> Find the site in question here: http://www.hitthedecks.co.uk

> --
> Ian Lloyd
> -------------------------

> -------------------------

> "It's so simple even a child could use it!"
> "Then fetch me a child."

http://www.hitthedecks.co.uk

Nice site!

--
Regards
Derek Mitchell

* eVB Tutorials - http://www.deVBuzz.com *
* Host your Pocket PC apps - file upload *
* Join the Global Pocket PC Registry     *

Sat, 17 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Javascript includes - OK in Pocket PC?

Quote:

> http://www.hitthedecks.co.uk

> Nice site!

> --
> Regards
> Derek Mitchell

> * eVB Tutorials - http://www.deVBuzz.com *
> * Host your Pocket PC apps - file upload *
> * Join the Global Pocket PC Registry     *

Derek - you obviously looked at it using a desktop PC ;-)

On a pocket PC it misses out the main navigation section, contact links and
loses all style attributes - all of these things taken care of in shared
javascript  .js files.

Must be the cause ...

--
Ian Lloyd

-------------------------

"It's so simple even a child could use it!"
"Then fetch me a child."

Sat, 17 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Javascript includes - OK in Pocket PC?

says...

Quote:
> Derek - you obviously looked at it using a desktop PC ;-)

> On a pocket PC it misses out the main navigation section, contact links and
> loses all style attributes - all of these things taken care of in shared
> javascript  .js files.

Yip I did, but I have just checked it out with the Pocket PC and it
still looks pretty good. I like the popup msgbox, nice touch. I see what
you mean about the missing navigation on the LHS and RHS. What you could
do which would blend nicely with the current layout is add small text
links under each main article link reflecting the LHS navig bar. They
may be redundant page wide but if they are small I think it would work
well and solve your problem.

I'm curious as to what percentage of your readers access the PPC site as
opposed to the desktop? That is if you don't mind sharing that stat? The
reason I ask is I'm struggling to justify a Pocket PC version of
http://www.deVBuzz.com. I have an intro page with my email address but
that's it at the moment. Almost all my content is databased but I still
need to build the template ASP pages to serve it up for PIE on the
Pocket PC and that requires a whole new navig schema - all in all a fair
amount of work, considering I already have a day (and night job!).

--
Regards
Derek Mitchell

* eVB Tutorials - http://www.deVBuzz.com *
* Host your Pocket PC apps - file upload *
* Join the Global Pocket PC Registry     *

Sat, 17 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Javascript includes - OK in Pocket PC?

Quote:
> I'm curious as to what percentage of your readers access the PPC site as
> opposed to the desktop? That is if you don't mind sharing that stat? The
> reason I ask is I'm struggling to justify a Pocket PC version of
> http://www.deVBuzz.com. I have an intro page with my email address but
> that's it at the moment. Almost all my content is databased but I still
> need to build the template ASP pages to serve it up for PIE on the
> Pocket PC and that requires a whole new navig schema - all in all a fair
> amount of work, considering I already have a day (and night job!).

> --
> Regards
> Derek Mitchell

> * eVB Tutorials - http://www.deVBuzz.com *
> * Host your Pocket PC apps - file upload *
> * Join the Global Pocket PC Registry     *

Derek

The honest answer is ... probably zero! I have not checked logs, but I will
add a filter to look for Pocket PC visits, just out of interest.

My main reason for redesigning is *simply the experience of doing it*. I
have found that a number of things that I do in my day job start life as
ideas in the outside interest. A good example being the preferences bit on
my site, which I have applied to work done internally (although it can be a
bit clever internally, using COM, SQL etc).

Since my first post I have discovered that PIE *does not* support the src
attribute in the <SCRIPT> tag. In other words, I'm stuffed! I rely on that
... The alternative (and nicer) way to do it would be to use ASP includes
but I haven't done this for a couple of reasons:

1. running ASP means paying for a host or using an EXTREMELY limited free
one (like brinkster.com -- file manager, oh purleease!). Hey, I'm cheap.
2. running ASP means I cannot put these pages on the corporate Intranet
(they get nervous about that!). HTML and client-side files script are nice
and safe.

If I can work out a way of making it Pocket PC friendly without scuppering
all the hard work I've already done, I'll do it. I imagine that it'll be
something of a compromise.

Once I've got something working and looking better, I'll re-post here, see
what people think.

PS - Day job, evening job, girlfriend, dog, house to repair - I know where
you're coming from Derek!!
--
Ian Lloyd

-------------------------

"It's so simple even a child could use it!"
"Then fetch me a child."

Sat, 17 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Opening ASP files on Pocket PC

2. WMP on pocket PC-JScript??

3. Setting system time on Pocket PC

4. Installing Apps or copying files to a Pocket PC

5. Pocket PC and Barcode scanners

6. keycodes for Pocket PC

7. OK, here's a perfect example of the need for #include in JScript/WSH

8. Include JavaScript file in another include file

9. External JavaScript OK with IE, not with NN

10. formname.action ok in IE4 but not ok in IE3

11. Get PC Data Using Javascript

12. Big Problem: IE4 with JScript (JavaScript) on PC and MAC