Locking "Right-Click" Menus for graphics protection
Author Message
 Locking "Right-Click" Menus for graphics protection

Quote:
> I am making a site and I need to lock my pictures and
> graphics from being right-clicked and saved. I been to
> sites that have this but I cant find any info. on how to
> do it. I use Microsoft FrontPage 2000. I think I can
> accomplish this by either java or cgi, but I dont know
> where to get the info or what to do. Thanks ahead of time.

Hi,

This has nothing to do with Java or CGI -- CGI is a server technology and
Java is a pre{*filter*}ly server technology that can also be used on the
client but is irrelevant here. This is also not a JScript .NET issue.

I believe you can provide an event handler for the oncontextmenu event but
you should be aware that this will not "protect" your images -- users can
always just request them directly from the server or copy them from the
browser's cache. At best you can discourage novice users from saving the
pictures but you can't prevent a determined user from getting them.

I have added a couple of other groups that may have specific code examples
of how to accomplish this. They also have opinions on why you shouldn't even
try to do this ;-)

Peter

--

Waiting for the Vengabus? http://www.*-*-*.com/
Please post all questions to the group. Thanks.

Tue, 24 Aug 2004 05:57:46 GMT
 Locking "Right-Click" Menus for graphics protection
Right.  If you don't want people to steal your images, don't put them on the
web.  Even TerraServer came up with a half-decent protection method at one
point, but given two machines I was able to snap a screen shot within about
3 minutes.  I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader to figure out how I
beat that one (if you remember the control that they used).

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Quote:

> > I am making a site and I need to lock my pictures and
> > graphics from being right-clicked and saved. I been to
> > sites that have this but I cant find any info. on how to
> > do it. I use Microsoft FrontPage 2000. I think I can
> > accomplish this by either java or cgi, but I dont know
> > where to get the info or what to do. Thanks ahead of time.

> Hi,

> This has nothing to do with Java or CGI -- CGI is a server technology and
> Java is a pre{*filter*}ly server technology that can also be used on the
> client but is irrelevant here. This is also not a JScript .NET issue.

> I believe you can provide an event handler for the oncontextmenu event but
> you should be aware that this will not "protect" your images -- users can
> always just request them directly from the server or copy them from the
> browser's cache. At best you can discourage novice users from saving the
> pictures but you can't prevent a determined user from getting them.

> I have added a couple of other groups that may have specific code examples
> of how to accomplish this. They also have opinions on why you shouldn't
even
> try to do this ;-)

> Peter

> --

> Waiting for the Vengabus? http://www.*-*-*.com/
> Please post all questions to the group. Thanks.

Tue, 24 Aug 2004 06:11:59 GMT
 Locking "Right-Click" Menus for graphics protection
And, as ever, the *real* protection is one thing:
copyright.

You also run the risk of offending many users (in case you haven't heard this speech before) who make heavy use of the context menu
for navigation. Ultimately, you are also downloading the information to their systems so there *is* a way to reconstruct and
potentially capture it.

: Right.  If you don't want people to steal your images, don't put them on the
: web.  Even TerraServer came up with a half-decent protection method at one
: point, but given two machines I was able to snap a screen shot within about
: 3 minutes.  I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader to figure out how I
: beat that one (if you remember the control that they used).
:
: http://www.*-*-*.com/
:
:
:
:
:
:

: > > I am making a site and I need to lock my pictures and
: > > graphics from being right-clicked and saved. I been to
: > > sites that have this but I cant find any info. on how to
: > > do it. I use Microsoft FrontPage 2000. I think I can
: > > accomplish this by either java or cgi, but I dont know
: > > where to get the info or what to do. Thanks ahead of time.
: >
: > Hi,
: >
[...]
: > --

: > Waiting for the Vengabus? http://www.*-*-*.com/
: > Please post all questions to the group. Thanks.
: >
: >
: >
:
:

Tue, 24 Aug 2004 08:43:40 GMT
 Locking "Right-Click" Menus for graphics protection
I used to agree to everything that has been replied in this thread, but
today I had a phone conversation with a guy who owns a site about Optical
Illusions (www.ilusaodeotica.com) that showed the other side of this issue.

The thing is, there's no way to ultimately protect content, but you sure can
make it harder. There ARE novice people who plain want to make their
personal website but don't know what to make, then copy from another site.
These people WILL be affected by right-click protection. Not only them,
anyone who doesn't know the workarounds.

If you're using Netscape, you can simply disable Javascript, but I've used
this browser it for two months (when I was trying Linux) and I never knew
this feature was there by then. Many people don't even figure that HTML is a
verbose format, nor can acknowledge the concept of verbose or compiled
formats.

But these people CAN create their own sites with their Front Page Express.
They look crappy, they sure do, but they can. And looking crappy or not,
everyone knows that it isn't a good feeling seeing your work being stolen,
specially when it means your money.

So if it can't be avoided, it can at least be reduced.

:: "Ekevu Guepardo" ::
:: Acinonyx jubatus ::
:: Porto Alegre, BR ::

Sat, 28 Aug 2004 09:08:58 GMT
 Locking "Right-Click" Menus for graphics protection

Quote:

> The thing is, there's no way to ultimately protect content, but you sure can
> make it harder.

harder is a relative term... if they have frontpage as you mention later
in your post.... they do a save as out of internet explorer and have the
entire page including jscript etc... any newbie that uses any software
can do a save as.  I just dont see right click blocking accomplishing
jack sh*t.

There ARE novice people who plain want to make their

Quote:
> personal website but don't know what to make, then copy from another site.
> These people WILL be affected by right-click protection. Not only them,
> anyone who doesn't know the workarounds.

some "work arounds" are so trivial it makes anyone who thinks they are
copy protecting this way look rediculous even to newbies, but if it
floats your boat shrug.

Lance Dyas

Sat, 28 Aug 2004 13:10:53 GMT
 Locking "Right-Click" Menus for graphics protection

| harder is a relative term...
Yes, it is. That's why I used "harder", not "hard".

| I just dont see right click blocking accomplishing jack sh*t.
Right click is the most common and easy-to-use way to copy stuff, isn't it?
You can save the target, save the image, save the BG, save the current
page...

| some "work arounds" are so trivial it makes anyone who thinks they are
| copy protecting this way look rediculous even to newbies, but if it
| floats your boat shrug.
They're trivial to you, me, and most of people who read this newsgroup. But
not everyone, nor most of those people who browse the web. That may not mean
"everything", but means something. It doesn't solve the problem, but does
fight it.

:: "Ekevu Guepardo" ::
:: Acinonyx jubatus ::
:: Porto Alegre, BR ::

Sat, 28 Aug 2004 13:38:57 GMT
 Locking "Right-Click" Menus for graphics protection

Quote:

> | harder is a relative term...
> Yes, it is. That's why I used "harder", not "hard".

> | I just dont see right click blocking accomplishing jack sh*t.
> Right click is the most common and easy-to-use way to copy stuff, isn't
it?
> You can save the target, save the image, save the BG, save the current
> page...

> | some "work arounds" are so trivial it makes anyone who thinks they are
> | copy protecting this way look rediculous even to newbies, but if it
> | floats your boat shrug.
> They're trivial to you, me, and most of people who read this newsgroup.
But
> not everyone, nor most of those people who browse the web. That may not
mean
> "everything", but means something. It doesn't solve the problem, but does
> fight it.

The point is, it doesn't fight "the problem".  All it does is annoy advanced
users
who use the right click popup for navigation.

If you don't want people stealing your stuff then don't put it in a public
domain
such as the internet.  It's simple.

Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:07:57 GMT
 Locking "Right-Click" Menus for graphics protection
Hi Bewulf, how are you?

I am an advanced user.. Since before there was a mouse click, say 1979.

--------

To amplify your remark, let's quote David Letterman from the 80s.

"Give this nice man a t-shirt." - so he can wear it before for his next
"Optical Illusions".

Quote:

> > | harder is a relative term...
> > Yes, it is. That's why I used "harder", not "hard".

> > | I just dont see right click blocking accomplishing jack sh*t.
> > Right click is the most common and easy-to-use way to copy stuff, isn't
> it?
> > You can save the target, save the image, save the BG, save the current
> > page...

> > | some "work arounds" are so trivial it makes anyone who thinks they are
> > | copy protecting this way look rediculous even to newbies, but if it
> > | floats your boat shrug.
> > They're trivial to you, me, and most of people who read this newsgroup.
> But
> > not everyone, nor most of those people who browse the web. That may not
> mean
> > "everything", but means something. It doesn't solve the problem, but
does
> > fight it.

> The point is, it doesn't fight "the problem".  All it does is annoy
> users
> who use the right click popup for navigation.

> If you don't want people stealing your stuff then don't put it in a public
> domain
> such as the internet.  It's simple.

Tue, 31 Aug 2004 16:04:25 GMT

1. HOW to turn OFF "graphics toolbar"?

2. undesired multiple audible "click" sounds

3. Hot keys or "clicks"

4. Right Click - Add to default menu

5. IE4 Right click menus

6. Right Click - Add to default menu

7. Re-enable "Run" from Start menu

8. wondering about right click menu in windows..

9. Custom pop-up menu on right-clicked event

10. Right-click context menu

11. Disabling the right-click menu on a WebBrowser component

12. pop up menu when right mouse button clicked