Have we lost jscript??
Author Message
 Have we lost jscript??

Hi,

From what I have read so far, developpers (would be)/(are) able to write web
pages with any language they want. This means that they would rather use the
simplistic VB or the mighty C# instead of our old buddy jscript. Did I
misunderstood the whole thing or does this indicate that we lost js and vbs?
What will happen to those scripting languages with the advent of .NET?

Thanks

Mon, 06 Sep 2004 22:32:49 GMT
 Have we lost jscript??
JScipt.NET is a fully-realized .NET language - so in that sense JScript is
"dead".  Actually, it supports much easier translation from old to new code
than VB.Net.  Often the only thing I have to do to port console application
code is to replace references to WScript.Echo with print and it compiles!

But JScript.NET also introduces type binding, classes and interface
definition - it's far from dead, just transformed.

VBS is more or less dead.  The semantic changes to VB.Net make it harder to
relate VBS to VB.Net, IMO.

R.

Quote:
> Hi,

> From what I have read so far, developpers (would be)/(are) able to write
web
> pages with any language they want. This means that they would rather use
the
> simplistic VB or the mighty C# instead of our old buddy jscript. Did I
> misunderstood the whole thing or does this indicate that we lost js and
vbs?
> What will happen to those scripting languages with the advent of .NET?

> Thanks

Tue, 07 Sep 2004 00:08:14 GMT
 Have we lost jscript??
Sounds like you're talking mainly about the server side here.
JavaScript/ECMAscript/JScript will still be the language of choice for
client-side browser scripting for years to come, especially if you want your
pages to work with Netscape or Opera.

Quote:
> Hi,

> From what I have read so far, developpers (would be)/(are) able to write
web
> pages with any language they want. This means that they would rather use
the
> simplistic VB or the mighty C# instead of our old buddy jscript. Did I
> misunderstood the whole thing or does this indicate that we lost js and
vbs?
> What will happen to those scripting languages with the advent of .NET?

> Thanks

Tue, 07 Sep 2004 00:27:52 GMT
 Have we lost jscript??
JScript isn't dying at all. New solutions will always appear regularly and
the big question you ask is if those solutions make JScript obsolete. I
think .NET having JScript.NET answers it pretty much.

I'm in the situation where I have to support a Netscape version (some
customers use unix systems) and I don't really see any other language that's
suitable for a single-result solution.

Would be interested though where you read that web pages can be created in
any language you want :)

Hans

"[VoiD]*" <berkbirand-at-operamail.com> schreef in bericht

Quote:
> Hi,

> From what I have read so far, developpers (would be)/(are) able to write
web
> pages with any language they want. This means that they would rather use
the
> simplistic VB or the mighty C# instead of our old buddy jscript. Did I
> misunderstood the whole thing or does this indicate that we lost js and
vbs?
> What will happen to those scripting languages with the advent of .NET?

> Thanks

Tue, 07 Sep 2004 00:38:09 GMT
 Have we lost jscript??
I guess I had read it in MSDN. The guy created a normal application, a web
page ( with the .aspx extension) and a page for palm.

So do you guys mean that using JScript.NET is more resourceful than using
VB.NET or C#.NET? Then what's the big deal with C#?

Quote:
> JScript isn't dying at all. New solutions will always appear regularly and
> the big question you ask is if those solutions make JScript obsolete. I
> think .NET having JScript.NET answers it pretty much.

> I'm in the situation where I have to support a Netscape version (some
> customers use unix systems) and I don't really see any other language
that's
> suitable for a single-result solution.

> Would be interested though where you read that web pages can be created in
> any language you want :)

> Hans

> "[VoiD]*" <berkbirand-at-operamail.com> schreef in bericht

> > Hi,

> > From what I have read so far, developpers (would be)/(are) able to write
> web
> > pages with any language they want. This means that they would rather use
> the
> > simplistic VB or the mighty C# instead of our old buddy jscript. Did I
> > misunderstood the whole thing or does this indicate that we lost js and
> vbs?
> > What will happen to those scripting languages with the advent of .NET?

> > Thanks

Tue, 07 Sep 2004 04:38:26 GMT

1. jscript instance methods lost after retrieving from a session object

2. Having problem printing binary image

3. getting a spec element in multiple elements having same id att

4. having trouble with syntax

5. newbie: having trouble with uniprint/gsview

6. Having 4 pages instead of 1 on a page

7. Having IE4 opening a new page in full screen mode

8. Having Problems with printing PostScript File

9. HELP! Having problems with HEIGHT=%

10. Urgent Does having AOL browser effects PWS?

11. Newbie and having difficulties resolving this issue.Please Help Desperate

12. Having trouble learning how to call stored procedures.