How can I detect Browser shutdown?
Author Message
 How can I detect Browser shutdown?

I need to be able to detect that the browser is being terminated/closed so
that I can send a msg to the server indicating that this user (who went
through a login procedure) should no longer be considered logged in.  How
can I do this?

Mon, 21 Apr 2003 00:11:58 GMT
 How can I detect Browser shutdown?

Quote:
> I need to be able to detect that the browser is being terminated/closed so
> that I can send a msg to the server indicating that this user (who went
> through a login procedure) should no longer be considered logged in.  How
> can I do this?

You can't, you can't differentiate between a closed browser and navigating
to another page, think of a different solution.

Jim.

Mon, 21 Apr 2003 00:17:12 GMT
 How can I detect Browser shutdown?
I have noticed that the javaScript event handler window_onunload is called
when IE 5.5 is terminated.  I think this is what I was looking for - am I
missing something?

Quote:

> > I need to be able to detect that the browser is being terminated/closed
so
> > that I can send a msg to the server indicating that this user (who went
> > through a login procedure) should no longer be considered logged in.
How
> > can I do this?

> You can't, you can't differentiate between a closed browser and navigating
> to another page, think of a different solution.

> Jim.

Mon, 21 Apr 2003 03:17:20 GMT
 How can I detect Browser shutdown?

Jim,
you may also consider:

window.onbeforeunload = yourHandler;

kz

Quote:
> I have noticed that the javaScript event handler window_onunload is called
> when IE 5.5 is terminated.  I think this is what I was looking for - am I
> missing something?

> > > I need to be able to detect that the browser is being
terminated/closed
> so
> > > that I can send a msg to the server indicating that this user (who
went
> > > through a login procedure) should no longer be considered logged in.
> How
> > > can I do this?

> > You can't, you can't differentiate between a closed browser and
navigating
> > to another page, think of a different solution.

> > Jim.

Mon, 21 Apr 2003 06:27:10 GMT
 How can I detect Browser shutdown?

Quote:
> I have noticed that the javaScript event handler window_onunload is called
> when IE 5.5 is terminated.  I think this is what I was looking for - am I
> missing something

Yeah window.onload is called when IE5.5 navigates away from any page, so you
can't differentiate between the browser closing, and someone navigating to
another site, or page within your site.

Also you didn't mention that it was ie5.5 specific, since in Netscape no
event fires when you close a browser.

Jim.

Mon, 21 Apr 2003 17:36:42 GMT
 How can I detect Browser shutdown?

- Hi All,
I also looking into some sort of solution for detecting Browser Shutdown?. Is
there any other event handler in browser 5.0 to detect browser shutdown!.   I
think we can work around even if the solution is IE specific coz not event is
fired in NE when browser is shutdown!.

Thanks in advance!.

MA
----

Quote:

> > I have noticed that the javaScript event handler window_onunload is called
> > when IE 5.5 is terminated.  I think this is what I was looking for - am I
> > missing something

> Yeah window.onload is called when IE5.5 navigates away from any page, so you
> can't differentiate between the browser closing, and someone navigating to
> another site, or page within your site.

> Also you didn't mention that it was ie5.5 specific, since in Netscape no
> event fires when you close a browser.

> Jim.

Tue, 22 Apr 2003 22:01:42 GMT
 How can I detect Browser shutdown?

Quote:
> - Hi All,
> I also looking into some sort of solution for detecting Browser Shutdown?.
Is
> there any other event handler in browser 5.0 to detect browser shutdown!.
> think we can work around even if the solution is IE specific coz not event
is
> fired in NE when browser is shutdown!.

If you have a secure environment, you could use WPM from
http://www.meadriod.com/wpm or some other mechanism that lets you automate
the IEXPLORE, then you can use the OnQuit event.  Otherwise no, there's no
specific quit event

Jim.

Tue, 22 Apr 2003 22:12:20 GMT

1. Hell of a Time - Detect Plugins, Close Parent Window, Detect 128 bit Encryption Browser, create Shortcut

2. Detect whether application-initiated shutdown is in progress?

3. Detect whether application-initiated shutdown is in progress?

4. Shutdown browser

5. Detect browser type using serverside VBScript

6. how to detect browser language

7. detect Browser Languages ?

8. detect the close event of browser??

9. Detecting when user has closed the browser

10. Detecting when the user closes the browser

11. detect closing child browser window

12. Detecting if the clients browser supports multiple windows with javascript