problem with submit and amount of text in input boxes
Author Message
 problem with submit and amount of text in input boxes

I'm fairly new to jscript etc etc, but am pretty sure that I've
nailed down the problem in my page, to the fact that there seems to be
a maximum size for the completed form.  Am I right?

I have a form with 5 input boxes, 4 listboxes, 7 textboxes, and 10
links with javascript events.  The textboxes are there to receive a
fairly large amount of text - the form may have to process up to about
2500 characters in all. I'm using ASP.

As the total number of characters increases to about 1500 (not sure
which controls would contribute to this total), I get an "Invalid
Syntax" error on my document.fm.submit method (where fm is the name of
the form)

Any thoughts, anyone?

Many thanks
Tim

Sun, 27 Jun 2004 23:54:16 GMT
 problem with submit and amount of text in input boxes
Yes.

The maximum amount that a user can submit is 100kb, so that is not your
problem.

It appears that you have a client-side problem.  You need to use the method:

document.fm.submit();

with the () parenthesis to indicate that it is a method.

If you are getting an IIS error indicating line number, then the problem is
on the second page on the server.  Please provide more information if that
is the case.

--Robert Paveza

Quote:
> I'm fairly new to jscript etc etc, but am pretty sure that I've
> nailed down the problem in my page, to the fact that there seems to be
> a maximum size for the completed form.  Am I right?

> I have a form with 5 input boxes, 4 listboxes, 7 textboxes, and 10
> links with javascript events.  The textboxes are there to receive a
> fairly large amount of text - the form may have to process up to about
> 2500 characters in all. I'm using ASP.

> As the total number of characters increases to about 1500 (not sure
> which controls would contribute to this total), I get an "Invalid
> Syntax" error on my document.fm.submit method (where fm is the name of
> the form)

> Any thoughts, anyone?

> Many thanks
> Tim

Mon, 28 Jun 2004 11:24:15 GMT
 problem with submit and amount of text in input boxes
Thanks for the tip, Robert.  Any reason why the below function should
not work?
fmname is the name of the form i.e. 'fm' in this case, and myType is a
1 char field that determines the action the submit form will take
(delete, insert or update), which then can be processed by the ASP
page that compiles and executes the SQL.
Thanks
Tim

function updateQ(fmname,myType) {
//save modified query to database
        var deleteme = myGetElem("DeleteMe");
        deleteme.value = myType;

        //check user meant to do this
        var OKToGo = window.confirm("Are you sure?  Click OK to continue
saving, or Cancel");
        if (OKToGo) {           //then save

                document.forms[fmname].submit();

        }

Quote:
}

Tue, 29 Jun 2004 00:36:27 GMT

1. Text box text on new page text box

2. Validating input from input box against an array of suitable inputs

3. String truncates all but 1st word in Form Input type text box

4. IE4 browser error when the user hits the delete key on a text box input

5. Capturing Input from Text Boxes

6. Clearing a text box after submitting a from

7. How to set the curso on the first single line input text box of my page

8. Input Box Text Masking

9. input box (text) and enter key

10. In Netscape Input text boxes always wider.

11. Input Mask for HTML Form text Boxes???

12. Input into text box