Waiting page
Author Message
 Waiting page

Hi,

I would like to find a method to display a "Please wait" page
immediately after a form is submitted. The submit causes the
generation of another page. This generation is very long in some cases
(more than 20 seconds). Please note that the page takes a long time to
be created (heavy CGI treatment), not to be loaded by the browser : so
I want the wait page to be shown _before_ the next page starts

A solution I found is to assign, in the form.onsubmit event, a
function to the body.onbeforeunload event. This function uses
document.write to display a simple message like "Please wait while
your request is being processed by the server...". Onbeforeunload is
fired immediately after onsubmit and the wait page is replaced by the
is specific to IE but that doesnt bother me as it's the only browser
we are using (IE version 5+).

I would like to know if there are other methods to interact with IE
after onsubmit and before the next page's onload.

Tue, 24 Aug 2004 04:43:14 GMT
 Waiting page
This is just an idea, which I haven't tested. In the form you are
submitting, define the result to be
targeted in a hidden frame. This way you original page is still displayed
and you can popup a message.
When the data is retrieved on the server, do a redirect back (from the
hidden frame) to your original page.
This way, I believe, doesn't discard your old page until the new page is
available.

/Peter

Quote:
> Hi,

> I would like to find a method to display a "Please wait" page
> immediately after a form is submitted. The submit causes the
> generation of another page. This generation is very long in some cases
> (more than 20 seconds). Please note that the page takes a long time to
> be created (heavy CGI treatment), not to be loaded by the browser : so
> I want the wait page to be shown _before_ the next page starts

> A solution I found is to assign, in the form.onsubmit event, a
> function to the body.onbeforeunload event. This function uses
> document.write to display a simple message like "Please wait while
> your request is being processed by the server...". Onbeforeunload is
> fired immediately after onsubmit and the wait page is replaced by the
> is specific to IE but that doesnt bother me as it's the only browser
> we are using (IE version 5+).

> I would like to know if there are other methods to interact with IE
> after onsubmit and before the next page's onload.

Tue, 24 Aug 2004 05:16:01 GMT

1. What is the printer waiting for? and waiting..waiting..waiting

2. Frames waiting for pages

3. Wait for a page load?

4. hi all,how i can wait one page complete loading

5. wait for web page to load

6. wait for page to finish loading..HELP

8. wait in VBScript

9. Wait state

10. Timed waits in VBScript

11. detecting system modal wait state in script ?

12. waiting a second