tcl83.dll and tcl84.dll - compatible?
Author Message
 tcl83.dll and tcl84.dll - compatible?

Simple question:

If I have a program compiled with tcl8.3 (windows), which will dynamically
load tcl83.dll, can I use tcl84.dll instead? Is there any important reason,
why the version is included in the name, are there any incompatibility issues?

--
//  _    ___         Michal "Sektor" Malecki <sektor(whirl)kis.p.lodz.pl>
\\ L_ |/ `|  /^\ ,()                         <ethourhs(O)gmail.com>

Tue, 28 Oct 2008 07:09:28 GMT
 tcl83.dll and tcl84.dll - compatible?
Sektor van Skijlen schrieb:
Quote:
> Simple question:

> If I have a program compiled with tcl8.3 (windows), which will dynamically
> load tcl83.dll, can I use tcl84.dll instead? Is there any important reason,
> why the version is included in the name, are there any incompatibility issues?

If you compiled against stubs you can use 8.4 in place of 8.3., thats
the point with stubs, even when used by applications instead of
extensions. But I'm not sure about the correct way to do it for an
application.

If not there are lots of issues you may encounter. In 8.4 large parts of
the interface were constified, commands got new options, etc. etc. Read
the changelog etc. to see what changed.

Michael

Tue, 28 Oct 2008 14:50:47 GMT
 tcl83.dll and tcl84.dll - compatible?

Quote:

> If I have a program compiled with tcl8.3 (windows), which will dynamically
> load tcl83.dll, can I use tcl84.dll instead? Is there any important reason,
> why the version is included in the name, are there any incompatibility issues?

A stubs-enabled build will work for 8.3+ if compiled against 8.3.  It
also happens that you can use tcl84.dll in place of tcl83.dll by
renaming it to match, but the reverse is not true.  This is just because
Tcl didn't change much internals to break this.  However, Tk did have a
few changes that might cause surprises - but again a stubs build would
work fine.

Jeff

Tue, 28 Oct 2008 15:33:39 GMT

1. SCVhost - Unable To Locate tcl84.dll

2. help wanted: tcl83.dll is not found by my tcl-emdbeded application

3. compile error on winnt tcl8.3.4 when at the last create the tcl83.dll

4. Non-stripped tcl83.dll

5. CTL3D.DLL, CTL3D32.DLL, CTL3DV2.DLL and Clipper/Fivewin/R&R

6. Help Needed on C-compatible DLLs

7. C Compatible DLL

8. C-compatible DLL's

9. EZTWAIN.DLL and EZTW32.DLL