BLT installs but doesn't work, and TkTable doesn't build
Author Message
 BLT installs but doesn't work, and TkTable doesn't build

[I posted about BLT yesterday, but the message seems to have
disappeared]

The install of BLT seems to have gone OK, but whenever I try to use any
of the widgets from BLT, I get the following error:

Error in startup script: invalid command name "graph"
    while executing
"graph .g"

I have tried using package require, btlwish, bltwish2.4, wish, etc., but
no luck.  I was, however, able to run the demos in the distribution.

I also am having trouble building TkTable.  I edited the makefile, where
I see many important variables have been left out, such as CC.  But I
don't know what to put for SHLIB_LD.  What should go there??

Thank you,
Ben

--
Ben Sandler
email me: sandler at ymail dot yu dot edu

"Windows is an operating system, not a religion."
- Ted Waitt, chairman of Gateway

Fri, 23 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 BLT installs but doesn't work, and TkTable doesn't build

Quote:

> I also am having trouble building TkTable.  I edited the makefile, where
> I see many important variables have been left out, such as CC.  But I
> don't know what to put for SHLIB_LD.  What should go there??

Did you run configure?

You shouldn't have to edit the Makefile, but configure does need to find
the
$(PREFIX)/lib/tclConfig.sh file that was left by your tcl
installation.   You need
to use the same --prefix as was used for tcl and tk.

Red Hat 5.1 comes with tcl installed under /usr, so use: configure
--prefix=/usr

John Ellson

Fri, 23 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 BLT installs but doesn't work, and TkTable doesn't build

Quote:

> > I also am having trouble building TkTable.  I edited the makefile, where
> > I see many important variables have been left out, such as CC.  But I
> > don't know what to put for SHLIB_LD.  What should go there??

> Did you run configure?

> You shouldn't have to edit the Makefile, but configure does need to find
> the
> $(PREFIX)/lib/tclConfig.sh file that was left by your tcl
> installation.   You need
> to use the same --prefix as was used for tcl and tk.

> Red Hat 5.1 comes with tcl installed under /usr, so use: configure
> --prefix=/usr

OK, thanks - we're getting somewhere.  It compiled and installed.
I think I had the wrong prefix.

Now, when I try to run it using the following script:

package require Tktable
table .t

I get the following error:

Error in startup script: couldn't load file
"/usr/lib/Tktable2.2/Tktable.2.2": /usr/lib/Tktable2.2/Tktable.2.2:
    while executing
"load /usr/lib/Tktable2.2/Tktable.2.2 Tktable"
    ("package ifneeded" script)
    invoked from within
"package require Tktable"
    (file "tkt.tcl" line 1)

As you may have noticed from my other posts today, I'm having an awful
lot of trouble getting any of these Tcl additions to work.  The only one
I ever got to work (and as I remember it, it was extremely simple) was
the MySQL interface.  Nothing else (TkTable, BLT, Scotty) has worked.
Is there a simple way of getting these new commands to work?  Or, at
least more specifically, what to I do to get this TkTable working???

Thanks,
Ben

Sat, 24 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 BLT installs but doesn't work, and TkTable doesn't build

Quote:

> > I also am having trouble building TkTable.  I edited the makefile, where
> > I see many important variables have been left out, such as CC.  But I
> > don't know what to put for SHLIB_LD.  What should go there??

> Did you run configure?

> You shouldn't have to edit the Makefile, but configure does need to find
> the
> $(PREFIX)/lib/tclConfig.sh file that was left by your tcl
> installation.   You need
> to use the same --prefix as was used for tcl and tk.

> Red Hat 5.1 comes with tcl installed under /usr, so use: configure
> --prefix=/usr

OK, thanks - we're getting somewhere.  It compiled and installed.
I think I had the wrong prefix.

Now, when I try to run it using the following script:

package require Tktable
table .t

I get the following error:

Error in startup script: couldn't load file
"/usr/lib/Tktable2.2/Tktable.2.2": /usr/lib/Tktable2.2/Tktable.2.2:
    while executing
"load /usr/lib/Tktable2.2/Tktable.2.2 Tktable"
    ("package ifneeded" script)
    invoked from within
"package require Tktable"
    (file "tkt.tcl" line 1)

As you may have noticed from my other posts today, I'm having an awful
lot of trouble getting any of these Tcl additions to work.  The only one
I ever got to work (and as I remember it, it was extremely simple) was
the MySQL interface.  Nothing else (TkTable, BLT, Scotty) has worked.
Is there a simple way of getting these new commands to work?  Or, at
least more specifically, what to I do to get this TkTable working???

Thanks,
Ben

Sat, 24 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 BLT installs but doesn't work, and TkTable doesn't build

Quote:

> package require Tktable
> table .t
> Error in startup script: couldn't load file
> "/usr/lib/Tktable2.2/Tktable.2.2": /usr/lib/Tktable2.2/Tktable.2.2:
>     while executing
> "load /usr/lib/Tktable2.2/Tktable.2.2 Tktable"
>     ("package ifneeded" script)
>     invoked from within
> "package require Tktable"
>     (file "tkt.tcl" line 1)

The latest is Tktable 2.3, but that is unlikely to be the problem.

Did you do a "make distclean" before re-running configure?
(There might be an old pkgIndex.tcl that is causing problems.)

Did you do a "make install"?

Quote:
> Is there a simple way of getting these new commands to work?  Or, at
> least more specifically, what to I do to get this TkTable working???

        ./configure --prefix=/usr     (this is for RH 5.1)
        make
        make install

John Ellson

Sat, 24 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 BLT installs but doesn't work, and TkTable doesn't build

: Error in startup script: couldn't load file
: "/usr/lib/Tktable2.2/Tktable.2.2": /usr/lib/Tktable2.2/Tktable.2.2:
: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Under Linux, see: man ldconfig, as this is obviously a nonstandard dir.

Sat, 24 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 BLT installs but doesn't work, and TkTable doesn't build

Quote:

> : Error in startup script: couldn't load file
> : "/usr/lib/Tktable2.2/Tktable.2.2": /usr/lib/Tktable2.2/Tktable.2.2:
> : cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

> Under Linux, see: man ldconfig, as this is obviously a nonstandard dir.

I don't think this is the problem. AFAIK the package/load
mechanism doesn't use LD_LIBRARY_PATH, or the system defaults
that are set by ldconfig.

I'm more suspicious about the DLL name:
"/usr/lib/Tktable2.2/Tktable.2.2"
There ought to be a ".so" at the end of this if the extension
was properly configured and made.

John Ellson

Sat, 24 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 BLT installs but doesn't work, and TkTable doesn't build
: [I posted about BLT yesterday, but the message seems to have
: disappeared]

: The install of BLT seems to have gone OK, but whenever I try to use any
: of the widgets from BLT, I get the following error:

: Error in startup script: invalid command name "graph"
:     while executing
: "graph .g"

: I have tried using package require, btlwish, bltwish2.4, wish, etc., but
: no luck.  I was, however, able to run the demos in the distribution.

All the BLT commands reside in their own namespace "blt".  You can
access them by either prefixing the commands with "blt::"

        blt::graph .g
        blt::table . .g

or importing the commands into the global namespace.

        namespace import blt::*
        graph .g
        table . .g

I see where I have contributed to the confusion by making the demos
compatible with both Tcl 7.6 (no namespaces) and 8.0.  I'll try to
make the namespace implications more obvious.  Thanks.

--gah

Sun, 25 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT

:

:All the BLT commands reside in their own namespace "blt".  You can
:access them by either prefixing the commands with "blt::"
:
:       blt::graph .g
:       blt::table . .g
:
:or importing the commands into the global namespace.
:
:       namespace import blt::*
:       graph .g
:       table . .g
:
:I see where I have contributed to the confusion by making the demos
:compatible with both Tcl 7.6 (no namespaces) and 8.0.  I'll try to
:make the namespace implications more obvious.  Thanks.

One of the areas which a novice might struggle is locating how to use
how to use commands within a namespaced extension.  For example, if the
novice wants the doc on how to use the BLT graph command, typing
man blt::graph
or
man BLT::graph
wouldn't find it.  I suspect they could not even grep for that string.
Assuming the doc is installed in a directory in their MANPATH (or that
they even HAVE man - MacOS and Windows users may not), they would find it
by typing
man graph
but just coding the command doesn't work.  The man page does
have references to BLT though.  So if they then go to
man BLT
(not man blt)
(using tkman makes this type of leap easier) they would see more info about
package require BLT
but not the import or the blt:: topic.  This is probably one of those
"well, its the way namespaces work, so you should already know this info"
type of things.

PLEASE don't take this posting wrong.  I am not picking on the doc with
BLT or any extension.  I am trying instead to suggest some additional
strategies for locating documentation to those desparate for help.
--

<*> O- <URL:http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/> |     only planning.

Wed, 28 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 BLT installs but doesn't work, and TkTable doesn't build
I am not sure exactly how it works but Linux
searches for dlls by default in a path
setup in /etc/ld.so.conf

Check to be sure /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib
or whereevr the libs are is there.
Then you need to reinitialize ld with
a command from /sbin (I think)
called
ldconfig

Now the system knows where dlls are.
It has worked for me several times.

BillD

Wed, 28 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 16 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. BLT blues, installed but doesn't work

2. Running vi:s after building application doesn't work

3. Why doesn't the dbi install work?

4. raa-install --showall doesn't work

5. Adagide install doesn't seem to work?

6. tkdesk on fedora core 5 -- doesn't run, doesn't compile

7. tclx make install doesn't work

8. Building sampleextension with gcc (cygwin/mingw) on Windows doesn't work

9. Threaded build doesn't work on IRIX 6.5

10. Running tclsh81.exe from its build directory doesn't work

11. Help SpecTcl1.1 doesn't work after 8.0p1 installed

12. match works, don't match doesn't