TCL proc for reading/writing Xbase (dBase) files?
Author Message
 TCL proc for reading/writing Xbase (dBase) files?

Before I go out and write my own, I figured I'd check...

Does anyone know of a portable TCL proc for reading and writing
dBase III (.dbf) format files? No binary data, nothing special, just
straight character access. I'm working on replacing a utility that
exports its data into DBF for reading by the client program.

I already have all the specs for the DBF file format (1 32-byte
header, 1-N 32 byte field descriptors, data block) and have
put together a basic C routine to check file formats, but this
utility doesn't require high I/O performance and it does require
working on multiple systems that I don't have a compiler for,
so I figured I'd go the easy route and do it all in TCL. Silly me..

Any pointers to existing functions would be greatly appreciated,
otherwise I'll slap it together and post it up so people can
laugh at my code.. : )

-Bill

Fri, 24 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 TCL proc for reading/writing Xbase (dBase) files?

Quote:

>Before I go out and write my own, I figured I'd check...

>Does anyone know of a portable TCL proc for reading and writing
>dBase III (.dbf) format files? No binary data, nothing special, just
>straight character access. I'm working on replacing a utility that
>exports its data into DBF for reading by the client program.

I hate to disappoint you, but the dBase file format is not purely
ASCII. It has some binary format information in the file headers.
Therefore, an all TCL solution will have to use TCL 8.0 and do some
binary file I/O.

Sat, 25 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. TCL Database Access Extensions for xBase/FoxPro/DBase

2. TCL Extensions: NATIVE access to xBase/DBase and FoxPro

3. Unable to read dbf file as dbase file

4. Writing xbase .dbf files with Python ?

5. APL reading dBase files

6. Read from a dBase.IV file

7. Reading text file into DBase?

8. Reading DBASE files

9. Reading Dbase files

10. dbase-file/clipper-index read-module

11. Writing a wait tcl proc

12. Clarification: read/write slow, and TCPSocket and sys{read,write}