Tcl+Expect cannot set umask?
Author Message
 Tcl+Expect cannot set umask?

The Unix C-shell and Bourne shell provide "umask" built-in commands to
set the shell's process's mask that determines the default protection
attributes for files the process creates.

But I do not see such a command in Tcl+Expect.

There is a stand-alone "umask" utility in SPARC/Solaris -- the variant
of Unix I'm using -- and that can _tell_ me what the Tcl+Expect shell's
mask is, because sub-processes inherit the mask value. But the "umask"
utility can't _set_ the _shell_'s mask: the "umask" utility runs as a
_sub_process of the shell -- and although it can change its _own_
process's mask, that doesn't change the _shell_'s mask.

I've looked in the indexes of the books
_Practical_Programming_in_Tcl_and_Tk_ (Welch), _Tcl_and_the_Tk_Toolkit_
(Ousterhout) and _Explorint_Expect_ (Libes) and I've searched the FAQ
for "umask" and I've come up empty. Is it really not there, or am I
missing something obvious?

Mon, 20 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Tcl+Expect cannot set umask?

:The Unix C-shell and Bourne shell provide "umask" built-in commands to

:But I do not see such a command in Tcl+Expect.

That's because Tcl does it's best to stay away from OS specific options
which don't need to be in the core.  Instead, when you add TclX, you
get a lot of the Unix functionality that isn't in the core.

Wed, 22 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. tcl ignores umask settings

2. Expect and setting Tcl variable

3. Tcl using Expect, setting environment from a file

4. Problem setting TCL variables for compiling expect.

5. How to set up library in EXPECT/TCL ?

6. problem with radio buttons - cannot set programatically

7. if I set $variable, then I cannot puts $$variable

8. Cannot set env array element via upvar #0

9. Cannot load Expect pkg into sub interpreter

10. cannot run expect script under cron

11. expect.rb vs Expect (Tcl)...

12. How to run the expect script using TCL oe expect 5.21