TCL Database Access Extensions for xBase/FoxPro/DBase
Author Message
 TCL Database Access Extensions for xBase/FoxPro/DBase

Everyware i see the message TCL/Tk is a killer solution for database
access and neverware I see the extensions to access a FoxPro, or
in general a xBase database.  Can somebody help me out ?

Mon, 23 May 2005 08:32:45 GMT
 TCL Database Access Extensions for xBase/FoxPro/DBase
TclODBC

Quote:

--
+--------------------------------+---------------------------------------+
| Gerald W. Lester               | "The man who fights for his ideals is

+--------------------------------+---------------------------------------+

Mon, 23 May 2005 13:50:56 GMT
 TCL Database Access Extensions for xBase/FoxPro/DBase
Thanks, but NO, I mean NATIVE access and no M$uck layer (or what it
should be) access !  I mean REAL access.
Quote:

> TclODBC

>>Everyware i see the message TCL/Tk is a killer solution for database
>>access and neverware I see the extensions to access a FoxPro, or
>>in general a xBase database.  Can somebody help me out ?

Mon, 23 May 2005 17:02:32 GMT
 TCL Database Access Extensions for xBase/FoxPro/DBase
Not that I'm aware of.

Lookes like you are going to have to write it yourself.  I'd suggest
taking a look at swig to help you write it.

Quote:

> Thanks, but NO, I mean NATIVE access and no M$uck layer (or what it
> should be) access !  I mean REAL access.

> > TclODBC

> >>Everyware i see the message TCL/Tk is a killer solution for database
> >>access and neverware I see the extensions to access a FoxPro, or
> >>in general a xBase database.  Can somebody help me out ?

--
+--------------------------------+---------------------------------------+
| Gerald W. Lester               | "The man who fights for his ideals is

+--------------------------------+---------------------------------------+

Mon, 23 May 2005 21:50:56 GMT
 TCL Database Access Extensions for xBase/FoxPro/DBase

Quote:

> Everyware i see the message TCL/Tk is a killer solution for database
> access and neverware I see the extensions to access a FoxPro, or
> in general a xBase database.  Can somebody help me out ?

We've written a Tcl layer atop the Codebase (www.sequiter.com)
which is a very fast library handling mentioned database/index
file formats. We also spoke with Sequiter about releasing our
code to public. At the time being, it is still in our (code) kitchen
and awaits to be properly documented before it hits the streets.
If you happen to use Codebase or have access to their library
I can send you the code in advance and maybe get some feedback
from you ;)

The software is pretty stable, MT-safe and we use it under Linux
for some years already.

Cheers
Zoran

Mon, 23 May 2005 22:35:52 GMT
 TCL Database Access Extensions for xBase/FoxPro/DBase

:Thanks, but NO, I mean NATIVE access and no M$uck layer (or what it
:should be) access !  I mean REAL access.
:

Sounds like you probably want to start with the dbflib library and
write the Tcl glue (or use Swig) to create the Tcl commands.

Basically, there are various Tcl extensions for database access.  But
the tcl community generally does not seem to generate extensions without
the author having a need for it.  Since there appears to seldom be
a need for access to these types of databasese, no one has written extensions
for them.

There have been a few efforts towards writing a generic Tcl layer under
which one would plug a database specific piece.  I'm uncertain that any
of these efforts have grown to a level where one of the databases you've
described is supported.

--
Tcl - The glue of a new generation.  <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/ >

Fri, 27 May 2005 22:01:24 GMT
 TCL Database Access Extensions for xBase/FoxPro/DBase

Quote:

> Thanks, but NO, I mean NATIVE access and no M$uck layer (or what it
> should be) access !  I mean REAL access.

There are some nice solutions out there. But, tclodbc has a lot of
functions built into it.  You should re-consider - try it out.  It's
interface is pretty clean (we have used it for several years - and we
learn more about it every day).

Dave

Sun, 29 May 2005 02:55:48 GMT
 TCL Database Access Extensions for xBase/FoxPro/DBase

Quote:

> Basically, there are various Tcl extensions for database access.  But
> the tcl community generally does not seem to generate extensions without
> the author having a need for it.  Since there appears to seldom be
> a need for access to these types of databasese, no one has written extensions
> for them.

Or rather, those of us who use FoxPro/xBase mostly find tclODBC
adequate to our needs.  Yeah, ODBC is a little slow, but often that's
not the bottleneck.  The overhead imposed by ODBC has never been enough
in practice in any of my apps to justify coming up with any other
approach; generally, by the time that ODBC overhead is a problem, I've
already switched from Jet or xBase to Oracle, and then from tclODBC
to oratcl. (That's a separate step, tclODBC works fine with Oracle
except for performance.)

--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin
"Whatever works..."

Sun, 29 May 2005 03:03:14 GMT

1. TCL Extensions: NATIVE access to xBase/DBase and FoxPro

2. Combine databases COBOL/FOXPRO/FOXBASE/BASIC/CLIPPER/DBASE/SQL/GUPTA etc with Impromptu 3.0

3. Cobol Export to Dbase/Text/access/Foxpro or paradox

4. Rewriting old dBase II - III, Foxbase, Foxpro programs to Foxpro 2.6 for Windows and VFP

5. Tcl Database access / Tk curses extension?

6. TCL proc for reading/writing Xbase (dBase) files?

7. Foxpro Database - Access with REALBasic - Help

8. Accessing Visual DBASE 5.5 database in VisProRexx

9. Accessing dbase database with mf cobol

10. Tcl : how to interface with Clipper xbase databases ?

11. ANNOUNCE tcl+ndbm - libdbm database extension to tcl

12. Database Access with Tcl <tcl newbie>