Problem with installing wishx in non-default location
Author Message
 Problem with installing wishx in non-default location

    I'm a new user of tcl/tk and need to use wishx for my project. I've
downloaded and built/tested tcl, tk, and tclX, but am having problems
with the install of tclX for version 8.3. I'm working on a project that
needs to have a private installation been rather than the /usr/local
default installation. When I run the test and tktests for the tclX,
the wishx located in tk/unix directory works fine via the unix/runwishx.
But the wishx that is installed under my /home/proj/tcl/bin gives me
the following error:

ld.so.1: wishx: fatal: libtkx8.3.so: open failed: No such file or directory
Killed

Under the I have the libtkx8.3.so in /home/proj/tcl/lib directory.
The tclsh, and wish installed in this directory work fine. I manually
changed the Makefile to substitute /home/proj/tcl for /usr/local. I'm
executing/building on Solaris 2.6 unix. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Dave Regalado

  dregalado.vcf
< 1K Download

Sat, 25 Oct 2003 03:55:32 GMT
 Problem with installing wishx in non-default location

Quote:

>     I'm a new user of tcl/tk and need to use wishx for my project. I've
> downloaded and built/tested tcl, tk, and tclX, but am having problems
> with the install of tclX for version 8.3. I'm working on a project that
> needs to have a private installation been rather than the /usr/local
> default installation. When I run the test and tktests for the tclX,
> the wishx located in tk/unix directory works fine via the unix/runwishx.
> But the wishx that is installed under my /home/proj/tcl/bin gives me
> the following error:

> ld.so.1: wishx: fatal: libtkx8.3.so: open failed: No such file or directory
> Killed

> Under the I have the libtkx8.3.so in /home/proj/tcl/lib directory.
> The tclsh, and wish installed in this directory work fine. I manually
> changed the Makefile to substitute /home/proj/tcl for /usr/local. I'm
> executing/building on Solaris 2.6 unix. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It looks like the TclX makefile isn't adding the -R/home/proj/tcl/lib
linker directive which would allow it to find the tcl/tk libraries at
run time.

--
  Jeff Hobbs                     The Tcl Guy
  Senior Developer               http://www.ActiveState.com/

Sat, 25 Oct 2003 11:44:48 GMT
 Problem with installing wishx in non-default location

:ld.so.1: wishx: fatal: libtkx8.3.so: open failed: No such file or directory
:Killed
:

There are at least three things you need to ensure.

1. that you have specified, to configure, the directory from which you wish
to run the package.

2. that when the makefile ran, the creation of the executable includes some
kind of indicator (usually a -R flag) that tells your OS where to find
the .so file.

3. that you have done a make install to install the package there.

If all three of these have occured, then your OS is having a problem with
the way configure built the library or application.

"See, he's not just anyone ... he's my son."  Mark Schultz

Sat, 25 Oct 2003 21:03:20 GMT

1. Non default .tcl script locations

2. installing tclX in a non-standard location

3. Tcl install question - how to install in a new location

4. Problem with GHC Haskell install and default libs

5. Problems getting Tkinter to work while installing python as non-root

6. Program compiled with pgf77 uses location of program as default directory

7. package in non-standard location

8. Invoking scripts form C (non-std package location)

9. Invoking scripts form C (non-std package location)

10. Windows install in alternate location with /silent?

11. Printing to non default printer in VW

12. Set( _print_file) gives GPF after Set Default on Non-Novell systems