wish84t.exe crashes. threading build of wish crash.
Author Message
 wish84t.exe crashes. threading build of wish crash.

We have a tcl/tk application that currently uses the non threaded wish,
and I would like to upgrade it to use the threaded version,
wish84t.exe.  However when I use the threaded version, it crashes at
startup.  Being that our app doesn't make any threaded commands yet,
I'm beginning to think that the threaded version has issues.

I know that I've built my wish84t.exe correctly because it runs simple
multi-threaded apps.  Therefore, I don't think it's a build or install
problem.

Any suggestions or comments?

Does anybody know if the threaded builds have issues?

Sun, 05 Oct 2008 07:38:40 GMT
 wish84t.exe crashes. threading build of wish crash.

Quote:

> We have a tcl/tk application that currently uses the non threaded wish,
> and I would like to upgrade it to use the threaded version,
> wish84t.exe.  However when I use the threaded version, it crashes at
> startup.  Being that our app doesn't make any threaded commands yet,
> I'm beginning to think that the threaded version has issues.

> I know that I've built my wish84t.exe correctly because it runs simple
> multi-threaded apps.  Therefore, I don't think it's a build or install
> problem.

> Any suggestions or comments?

Where does it crash? Do you have C extensions in your application that
are not compiled with --enable-threads, or are otherwise not thread
save? Do you try to [puts] something at the time it crashes? What is
the error message, if any?
I'd suggest you to step through the code and find out where the crash
happens and what might be involved with the crash. If you can be more
concrete about that, this would be helpful...

Eckhard

Sun, 05 Oct 2008 14:21:39 GMT
 wish84t.exe crashes. threading build of wish crash.
thanks for your info.  yes, it's very possible that we have many
extensions that are not thread-safe.  i guess i was hoping for an easy
transition and that everything would just automatically run in the

our app is windows based, and we use extensions such as:

BLT
BWidget
Img
Tk 8.0
http
printer
registry
scwidgets
stooop 4.1
switched 2.2
tkpiechart 6.3
xml

So if you have a thread-safe exe, all DLLs have to be thread-safe as
well, even if you don't make any threading calls?  Is this a C
requirement?  I'm just trying to get a more general picture of my
problem.

Mon, 06 Oct 2008 02:57:59 GMT
 wish84t.exe crashes. threading build of wish crash.

load blt24.dll BLT

Mon, 06 Oct 2008 03:56:12 GMT

2. Tkinter-related python.exe and pythonw.exe crashes

3. Ariane Crash (Was: Adriane crash)

4. File selection crashes wish

5. Wish crashes on my XP box

6. tk_dialog crashes wish

7. tcl8.4.5-wish : frequent crash on my Windows (XP and NT)

8. Help please: Recursive program crashes Wish

9. unexpected wish crash

10. An easy way to crash wish :-)

11. : wish crashes when displaying a disabled button with image + text (windows)

12. Bug in canvas: crashes wish...