Call for Programs: the "phonecode" benchmark 
Author Message
 Call for Programs: the "phonecode" benchmark

Hi all,

 - Out of the following set of scripting languages:
     Perl, Python, Rexx, Tcl
   do you prefer one over the others?
 - Do you think one is inherently better than the others?
 - Or aren't you sure?

NOW IS THE TIME TO FIND OUT!

I have prepared an interesting small programming problem
and have collected a number of implementations for it in C, C++, Java
and Lisp.
Comparing these programs, one finds that there are substantial
differences between the different languages (such as for program length,
programming time, run time, memory requirements), but that the differences
between the individual implementations even within one language are
even larger.

I would now like to extend this investigation to scripting languages:

  o Are differences between implementations using the same language
    smaller or even larger than for "standard" programming languages?

  o Do systematic differences between different scripting languages
    exist?

  o How do the scripting languages compare to standard programming
    languages such as C or Java?

If you are interested in participating in this investigation
please create an implementation of the "Phonecode" benchmark
problem in your favorite scripting language and submit it to me.
I will make the results available to you after the evaluation.
The effort required is typically somewhere between 1 and 8 hours.

For a description of the programming problem etc., see
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~prechelt/phonecode/

NOTE THAT THIS PROGRAM COLLECTION EFFORT CLOSES AT DECEMBER 18, 1999.

Happy programming!

  Lutz

P.S.: You sure know at least ONE other person who might be interested
      in this, right?  Please tell him or her!

Lutz Prechelt   http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~prechelt/ | Whenever you
Institut f. Programmstrukturen & Datenorganisation | complicate things,
Universitaet Karlsruhe;  76128 Karlsruhe;  Germany | they get
(Phone: +49/721/608-4068, FAX: +49/721/608-7343)   | less simple.

Quote:
>>> Ever had negative research results?   http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;<<



Sun, 05 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 Call for Programs: the "phonecode" benchmark
See also http://www.ionet.net/~timtroyr/funhouse/beer.html

--
Darren New / Senior Software Architect / MessageMedia, Inc.
     San Diego, CA, USA (PST).  Cryptokeys on demand.
"If you can't come in Saturday, don't bother coming in Sunday."



Sun, 05 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 Call for Programs: the "phonecode" benchmark

Quote:

> For a description of the programming problem etc., see
> http://wwwipd.ira.uka.de/~prechelt/phonecode/

Please do this, if you've got a little time to spare, and do it
fairly.  I asked Dr. Prechelt for permission to do this myself a few
days after I read the CACM report on the C/C++/Java results, but he's
beaten me to it.

To me, the really interesting question that this study addresses is
the variability in performance and productivity within languages.
Given a team of really excellent programmers who work together well,
almost any feasible project will succeed.  But you don't often see
projects staffed that way.  So given the slings and arrows of
outrageous fortune, does the choice of language affect the probability
of success?   Do languages differ in ways that make reasonable
solutions in reasonable times more or less likely?

-- rec --



Tue, 07 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 Call for Programs: the "phonecode" benchmark
Although I can understand peoples desire to see some kind of quantative
analysis of popular programming paradigms, can I just point out that
the continual use of 'benchmarks' and other contrived and 'unrealistic'
measurement criteria do very little to ascertain the effectiveness of a
language.
Surely the effectiveness of a language is determined by its overall
performance in a wide variety of circumstances and the effect it has on
factors such as time to market, cost of maintenance and other far more
important factors.
This is of course difficult to measure but this is really what matters.
Quite frankly I don't think many proffesionals give two hoots about
performance in benchmarks. They are more strongly persuaded by a
languages overall contribution to commercial development process.

And in this last regard TCL wins hands down (couldn't resist).

Comments?



Quote:
> Hi all,

>  - Out of the following set of scripting languages:
>      Perl, Python, Rexx, Tcl
>    do you prefer one over the others?
>  - Do you think one is inherently better than the others?
>  - Or aren't you sure?

> NOW IS THE TIME TO FIND OUT!

> I have prepared an interesting small programming problem and have
collected
> a number of implementations for it in C, C++, Java and Lisp.
Comparing
> these programs, one finds that there are substantial differences
between
> the different languages (such as for program length, programming
time, run
> time, memory requirements), but that the differences between the
individual
> implementations even within one language are even larger.

> I would now like to extend this investigation to scripting languages:

>   o Are differences between implementations using the same language
>     smaller or even larger than for "standard" programming languages?

>   o Do systematic differences between different scripting languages
>     exist?

>   o How do the scripting languages compare to standard programming
>     languages such as C or Java?

> If you are interested in participating in this investigation
> please create an implementation of the "Phonecode" benchmark
> problem in your favorite scripting language and submit it to me.
> I will make the results available to you after the evaluation.
> The effort required is typically somewhere between 1 and 8 hours.

> For a description of the programming problem etc., see
> http://wwwipd.ira.uka.de/~prechelt/phonecode/

> NOTE THAT THIS PROGRAM COLLECTION EFFORT CLOSES AT DECEMBER 18, 1999.

> Happy programming!

>   Lutz

> P.S.: You sure know at least ONE other person who might be interested
>       in this, right?  Please tell him or her!

> Lutz Prechelt  http://wwwipd.ira.uka.de/~prechelt/ | Whenever you
> Institut f. Programmstrukturen & Datenorganisation | complicate
things,
> Universitaet Karlsruhe;  76128 Karlsruhe;  Germany | they get
> (Phone: +49/721/608-4068, FAX: +49/721/608-7343)   | less simple.



>   Announcements archived at

http://www.findmail.com/list/tcl_announce/

Quote:
>   The primary Tcl/Tk archive is ftp://ftp.neosoft.com/pub/tcl/ ]]

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.


Tue, 07 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 4 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Call for Programs: the "phonecode" benchmark

2. Call for Programs: the "phonecode" benchmark

3. Call for Programs: the "phonecode" benchmark

4. LAST CALL: postdoc "Intentional Programming"

5. LAST CALL: postdoc "Intentional Programming"

6. LAST CALL: postdoc "Intentional Programming"

7. LAST CALL - Postdoc "Intentional Programming"

8. LAST CALL: postdoc "Intentional Programming"

9. LAST CALL: postdoc "Intentional Programming"

10. Call "COBOL" program from REXX MVS

11. LAST CALL: postdoc "Intentional Programming"

12. LAST CALL: postdoc "Intentional Programming"

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software