DDE fails on Win95/98 but NOT on NT
Author Message
 DDE fails on Win95/98 but NOT on NT

I have an application that uses DDE when fetching data from a closed system
(SuperOffice).

When I run the app on NT 4.0 it runs fine even with long lasting load.
When I run the app on Win95/89 it fails after a while with lasting load.

I am running the latest version tcl81 (just downloaded)

When i "catch" the dde command and do a retry it works in some cases..

What can I do? Any sugestion is a help!

Thanks

Sat, 20 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 DDE fails on Win95/98 but NOT on NT

Quote:

> I have an application that uses DDE when fetching data from a closed system
> (SuperOffice).

> When I run the app on NT 4.0 it runs fine even with long lasting load.
> When I run the app on Win95/89 it fails after a while with lasting load.

> I am running the latest version tcl81 (just downloaded)

> When i "catch" the dde command and do a retry it works in some cases..

> What can I do? Any sugestion is a help!

> Thanks

Sounds to me like DDE is timeing out during your load. One solution
might be to change the timeout limit for the request. I have not studied
the internals of the Tk implementation to counsel you on how that might
be done. Most probably your 2 machines are connected/loaded/configured
such that the Win95 machine is waiting too long for a transaction to
complete. This generates the failure on the DDE request. The random
nature of the success is due to the current conditions of the
connection, related to the activity on the Win95/98 machine and its
overall speed/memory.

A faster Win95 machine may be an easy solution.
--
Iain B. Findleton

(514)457-0744

Sat, 20 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 DDE fails on Win95/98 but NOT on NT

Quote:

> I have an application that uses DDE when fetching data from a closed system
> (SuperOffice).

> When I run the app on NT 4.0 it runs fine even with long lasting load.
> When I run the app on Win95/89 it fails after a while with lasting load.

> I am running the latest version tcl81 (just downloaded)

> When i "catch" the dde command and do a retry it works in some cases..

> What can I do? Any sugestion is a help!

> Thanks

Further to this and my previous comment, the timeout on a request in
Tcl/Tk 8.1.1a2 is fixed a 5 secs. You could edit win/tkWinSend.c to up
the value for your local site. The one drawback that I noticed while
fooling with this value is that the command blocks, so makingin it huge
can sort of hang your application if your real problem is somewhere
else.

Note I assume here that your "load" is a dde request type of
transaction. The timeout for dde execute is already huge!

--
Iain B. Findleton

(514)457-0744

Sat, 20 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 DDE fails on Win95/98 but NOT on NT
In Tcl 8.1 final, the code was moved to Tcl in win/tclWinDde.c and the
timeout was reduced.

-- Scott

Quote:

> > I have an application that uses DDE when fetching data from a closed system
> > (SuperOffice).

> > When I run the app on NT 4.0 it runs fine even with long lasting load.
> > When I run the app on Win95/89 it fails after a while with lasting load.

> > I am running the latest version tcl81 (just downloaded)

> > When i "catch" the dde command and do a retry it works in some cases..

> > What can I do? Any sugestion is a help!

> > Thanks

> Further to this and my previous comment, the timeout on a request in
> Tcl/Tk 8.1.1a2 is fixed a 5 secs. You could edit win/tkWinSend.c to up
> the value for your local site. The one drawback that I noticed while
> fooling with this value is that the command blocks, so makingin it huge
> can sort of hang your application if your real problem is somewhere
> else.

> Note I assume here that your "load" is a dde request type of
> transaction. The timeout for dde execute is already huge!

> --
> Iain B. Findleton

> (514)457-0744

Sat, 20 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. file mkdir fails on NT drive mapped to 95/98

2. NT / win95/98 Date/time problem HELP!!

3. Adding icon to SystemTray in win95/98/nt

4. UltimADE4 : Rapid Application Development for Win95/98/NT

5. Q: PL1-Compiler for WIN95, 98 or NT 4.0

6. different in win95/98 and NT

7. Enhancement: resolution multiplier for TclpGetTime on Win95/98/NT/2K

8. Affordable Common Lisp implementations on Win95/98/NT?

9. was Re: 4.01Graphics Problem with Windows 98 but not NT or 2000

10. 4.01 - Graphics Problem with Windows 98 but not NT or 2000

11. WIN95 vs NT DDE-client performance question

12. DDE DDE DDE DDE DDE ( once more, help needed )