wish8.0 crashes in TclExecuteByteCode()
Author Message
 wish8.0 crashes in TclExecuteByteCode()

Hi,

I have just compiled/installed Tcl/Tk 8.0 final on several machines
here at the office. It runs fine on Solaris and Linux (gcc) but it
crashes on Silicon Graphics IRIX 5.3.

If I fire up wish (or tclsh), it starts up, but then any command that I
issue (e.g. "set foo 1") causes the following cryptic message to be printed
followed by a core dump:

TclExecuteByteCode: done instruction at pc 293: stack top 4 != entry stack top 5
  Source: "\n    global auto_index auto_oldpath auto_path env errorInfo errorCode\n\n    foreach name [list $cmd ::$cmd] {\n\tif [info exists auto_index($name)] {\n\t  "TclExecuteByteCode execution failure: end stack top != start stack top
Abort(coredump)

Has anyone else encountered this problem or do I need to debug this one
myself?

Thanks for any help,
Tom

--
Thomas J. Downey Jr.                    Partek Incorporated
voice: 314-926-2329                     1266-E Jungermann Rd.

web: http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~tjd         web: http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 12 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 wish8.0 crashes in TclExecuteByteCode()

: I have just compiled/installed Tcl/Tk 8.0 final on several machines
: here at the office. It runs fine on Solaris and Linux (gcc) but it
: crashes on Silicon Graphics IRIX 5.3.

: TclExecuteByteCode: done instruction at pc 293: stack top 4 != entry stack top 5
:   Source: "\n    global auto_index auto_oldpath auto_path env errorInfo errorCode\n\n    foreach name [list $cmd ::$cmd] {\n\tif [info exists auto_index($name)] {\n\t  "TclExecuteByteCode execution failure: end stack top != start stack top
: Abort(coredump)

: Has anyone else encountered this problem or do I need to debug this one
: myself?

I've encountered this one myself.  Sorry, but I didn't debug it; just
went and used a nearby Solaris host where Tcl8.0 did work.

Sun, 12 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 wish8.0 crashes in TclExecuteByteCode()

: I have just compiled/installed Tcl/Tk 8.0 final on several machines
: here at the office. It runs fine on Solaris and Linux (gcc) but it
: crashes on Silicon Graphics IRIX 5.3.

: If I fire up wish (or tclsh), it starts up, but then any command that I
: issue (e.g. "set foo 1") causes the following cryptic message to be printed
: followed by a core dump:

: TclExecuteByteCode: done instruction at pc 293: stack top 4 != entry stack top 5
:   Source: "\n    global auto_index auto_oldpath auto_path env errorInfo errorCode\n\n    foreach name [list $cmd ::$cmd] {\n\tif [info exists auto_index($name)] {\n\t  "TclExecuteByteCode execution failure: end stack top != start stack top
: Abort(coredump)

Tom,

This sounds like a wild jump into the middle of another instruction
(opcode 0 is "done"). The procedure you're executing is pretty
complicated (auto_load), so if there was a problem with, for example,
reading a single byte then sign extending it to an integer, this
procedure would be likely to break. I need to see a trace of both
the code and its execution to understand why this is happening.
Could you rerun autoconf, delete the old config.cache, then rerun
configure, then edit the Makefile to build Tcl with symbols (-g) and
with the -DTCL_MEM_DEBUG and -DTCL_COMPILE_DEBUG flags? Then please
run tclsh under a de{*filter*}, set a breakpoint in main, and when it
stops, set the C variables tclTraceCompile and tclTraceExec to
2 and 3 respectively. Then send me the resulting traces that will
be put in stdout. This should include the code for auto_load
(after the line "Compiling body of proc "auto_load"") and a trace
of each instruction executed in it until the panic. Thanks.

  Brian

Mon, 13 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. crash in TclExecuteByteCode

2. What does that mean: TclExecuteByteCode: unrecognized opCode 223?

3. Error from TclExecuteByteCode: whose fault it is?

4. TclExecuteByteCode error message

5. TclExecuteByteCode coredump and IRIX 6.5

6. TclExecuteByteCode execution failure

7. "TclExecuteByteCode execution failure"

8. Ariane Crash (Was: Adriane crash)

9. Segmentation fault when exiting wish8.4

10. ActiveTcl 8.4.0.1 Beta 2 under Win2k: language bug in wish8.4

11. with-wish with Win95 and Wish8.0?

12. strange exiting of wish8.2