TCL is not thread safer in TCL 8.3 or 8.4... Any plans to fix this?
Author Message
 TCL is not thread safer in TCL 8.3 or 8.4... Any plans to fix this?

It is a shame that I can't upgrade one of my applications due to this
problem, though the memory leaks also intorduced in 8.3 and 8.4 are
problem as well. :(

I have a process that spawn a configurable number of thread with a TCL
intrepeter in each one.  The interps are isolated and do not
communicate or share anything withe each other.  Each thread is a rule
processor that is handed TCL scripts based on what events occurs within
a multi process enviroment rnaing across the whole itnerprize...
Works great with TCL 8.2, not a single problem...   But with TCL 8.3
and TCL 8.4 we get quite a few run time errors and/or data corruption
and core dumps that all leads back to TCL. :(  Quite a shame!

Tue, 04 Dec 2007 06:10:47 GMT
 TCL is not thread safer in TCL 8.3 or 8.4... Any plans to fix this?

Quote:

> It is a shame that I can't upgrade one of my applications due to this
> problem, though the memory leaks also intorduced in 8.3 and 8.4 are
> problem as well. :(

What are the bug report ID numbers of the issues giving you trouble?

--
| Don Porter          Mathematical and Computational Sciences Division |

| http://math.nist.gov/~DPorter/                                  NIST |

Tue, 04 Dec 2007 06:24:15 GMT
 TCL is not thread safer in TCL 8.3 or 8.4... Any plans to fix this?

Quote:

>> It is a shame that I can't upgrade one of my applications due to this
>> problem, though the memory leaks also intorduced in 8.3 and 8.4 are
>> problem as well. :(

> What are the bug report ID numbers of the issues giving you trouble?

I've also had some bad experience with threads-enabled Tcl/Tk in
the past, but it's not easy to write a bugreport for some
bug that only occurs randomly. ("heisenbug")
In my case it was with the game bubbles (from the french tcl wiki),
which irregularly, but much too often just locked up waiting for godot.

I posted here, and the answer was to run it in a threads-disabled
tcl/tk.

Is a bugreport about such a bug (that cannot be explicitly triggered, but
still happens from time to time) of any use?

Tue, 04 Dec 2007 16:43:55 GMT
 TCL is not thread safer in TCL 8.3 or 8.4... Any plans to fix this?

Quote:

>>>It is a shame that I can't upgrade one of my applications due to this
>>>problem, though the memory leaks also intorduced in 8.3 and 8.4 are
>>>problem as well. :(

>>What are the bug report ID numbers of the issues giving you trouble?

> I've also had some bad experience with threads-enabled Tcl/Tk in
> the past, but it's not easy to write a bugreport for some
> bug that only occurs randomly. ("heisenbug")
> In my case it was with the game bubbles (from the french tcl wiki),
> which irregularly, but much too often just locked up waiting for godot.

> I posted here, and the answer was to run it in a threads-disabled
> tcl/tk.

> Is a bugreport about such a bug (that cannot be explicitly triggered, but
> still happens from time to time) of any use?

Yes! As a maintainer, I know that such reports trigger our attention.

Typically, we will require the reporter's help to get us to reproduce
the problem. This process is often iterative, difficult and lengthy.
Especially when a C extension is involved, or if the bug-triggering
script is large.

OTOH, if the bug is not reported nobody is aware of it. There is no hope
that we can study and repair the problem.

Cheers
Miguel

Tue, 04 Dec 2007 17:18:51 GMT
 TCL is not thread safer in TCL 8.3 or 8.4... Any plans to fix this?

Quote:

> I've also had some bad experience with threads-enabled Tcl/Tk in
> the past, but it's not easy to write a bugreport for some
> bug that only occurs randomly. ("heisenbug")
> In my case it was with the game bubbles (from the french tcl wiki),
> which irregularly, but much too often just locked up waiting for godot.

We think we may have identified a potential problem with the default
POSIX threads implementation in some versions of glibc. We're still
investigating (on and off) but it looks like upgrading glibc will fix
the problem, as will setting the environment variable LD_ASSUME_KERNEL
to something. The{*filter*}details are in Tk bug 1220692:

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Donal.

Tue, 04 Dec 2007 17:38:24 GMT
 TCL is not thread safer in TCL 8.3 or 8.4... Any plans to fix this?

Quote:

>> I've also had some bad experience with threads-enabled Tcl/Tk in
>> the past, but it's not easy to write a bugreport for some bug that
>> only occurs randomly. ("heisenbug")
>> In my case it was with the game bubbles (from the french tcl wiki),
>> which irregularly, but much too often just locked up waiting for godot.

> We think we may have identified a potential problem with the default
> POSIX threads implementation in some versions of glibc. We're still
> investigating (on and off) but it looks like upgrading glibc will fix
> the problem, as will setting the environment variable LD_ASSUME_KERNEL
> to something. The{*filter*}details are in Tk bug 1220692:

> http://www.*-*-*.com/

To keep people a{*filter*} of what I'm doing with this... I get the
impression that perhaps it was Debian's libc maintainers dropping the
ball, because it seems to be a problem for which patches exist.

--
David N. Welton
- http://www.*-*-*.com/

Apache, Linux, Tcl Consulting
- http://www.*-*-*.com/

Wed, 05 Dec 2007 02:31:41 GMT

1. Stubs with Tcl 8.3 vs Tcl 8.4

2. CONST Tcl 8.3 vs Tcl 8.4

3. problem about tcl 8.3 and 8.4

4. Q: speed open call Tcl 8.3 vs 8.4

5. Tcl 8.4 more DOSsy than 8.3 ?

6. Thread safe version of 8.3 with MSVC

7. tkBuilder Fix (temporary) for Tcl/Tk 8.4

8. exec is thread safe or not in TCL

9. trace incompatibility in 8.4 and 8.3 ?

10. Tcl 8.4 and Thread extension for Win XP and 2003

11. glob difference between 8.3 and 8.4

12. Tk 8.3 -> 8.4, surprisingly slow text widget