Why make libtcl7.6.so mode 555?
Author Message
 Why make libtcl7.6.so mode 555?

I'm building tcl 7.6 on a DEC alpha running DU-4.0B.  Everything builds
fine, but I'm a little confused about the "make install" process.  Here's an
excerpt from "make -n install":

./install-sh -c -m 644 libtcl7.6.so /usr/lib/libtcl7.6.so
(cd /usr/lib; : libtcl7.6.so)
chmod 555 /usr/lib/libtcl7.6.so

which raises 2 questions.  The first is why does it try to put the library
in /usr/lib instead of /usr/shlib?  Is this just a weakness in configure
that it can't figure out the right place to put it?  Presumably I can just
hack the Makefile to put it in the right place, no?

Second, and less trivially, why does it try to make the library mode 555?
The 644 in the install line makes more sense.  Is there something magic
going on here, or should I just go ahead and hack the Makefile to eliminate
the chmod line?

The other slightly nagging question is how to cleanly get rid of the
existing tcl-7.4 that came with the system?  What stuff do I need to remove
to ensure that I don't end up with half of one and half of the other?
--

New York University School of Medicine
Copyright 1997 Roy Smith

Tue, 09 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. why why why oh why why baby

2. Making CW15 debug mode persistent?

3. Making DOS Real Mode File System Sharable

4. Making BIOS calls from protected mode

5. Clarion makes bad cdx index files, why?

6. some undefined references in tclLoadDl.o (dlopen, dlsym) while linking with libtcl7.6a

7. How to incorporate prolog.ps into libtcl7.6a , libtk4.2a

8. Where is libtcl7.5.a

9. Reply to query about libtcl7.6.so

10. libtcl7.6.so error message

11. problems with libtcl7.5.so on linux 1.2.13

12. nn-tk and libtcl7.5.so