How do I make a Tcl UDP connection with two networks?
Author Message
 How do I make a Tcl UDP connection with two networks?

Hi.  I have a TCL application running on a host with two Ethernet
cards; each card connected to a separate network.  I need to modify the
Tcl software to open a UDP connection to receive multicast/unicast
messages from hosts on each network.  I would like to use the Tcl UDP
extension if possible    I am confused with the following:  Do I create
separate UDP sockets then somehow bind each socket to a physical
interface card (if possible) or does the underlying OS (Windows XP)
take care of things so that the UDP socket can send/receive
multicast/unicast regardless of the network the remote computer is on?
If anyone has suggestions, examples or comments relating to this
problem, they would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Sun, 28 Sep 2008 03:48:02 GMT
 How do I make a Tcl UDP connection with two networks?

Quote:

> Hi.  I have a TCL application running on a host with two Ethernet
> cards; each card connected to a separate network.  I need to modify the
> Tcl software to open a UDP connection to receive multicast/unicast
> messages from hosts on each network.  I would like to use the Tcl UDP
> extension if possible    I am confused with the following:  Do I create
> separate UDP sockets then somehow bind each socket to a physical
> interface card (if possible) or does the underlying OS (Windows XP)
> take care of things so that the UDP socket can send/receive
> multicast/unicast regardless of the network the remote computer is on?
> If anyone has suggestions, examples or comments relating to this
> problem, they would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

You only need to use a single socket

For unicast addresses, the network will figure out which
network interface to use without you doing anything
special, this is based on the netmask and gateway ip
configuration parameters.

For multicast, both interfaces will be used.

I have not tested this my self.

Regards

Paul

Sun, 28 Sep 2008 09:26:26 GMT

1. Non-blocking UDP in Tcl 7.5 (using scotty udp)

2. how to transfer a file between two networked workstation with tcl

3. Ports of UDP connections

4. Listen for udp connection?

5. Question: UDP Connection

6. Network (UDP) TicTac game

7. looking for UDP package, network programming guidance

8. Making a connection with internet.

9. : using DST without network-connection

10. Detecting Network connection

11. Can this be done in Clarion? (part two)

12. Lost network connections using 5.0