ANNOUNCE: Winico 0.4 prerelease (correction from previous announcement)
Author Message
 ANNOUNCE: Winico 0.4 prerelease (correction from previous announcement)

After managing to miss the fact that Winico was actually
at version 0.3 and that there was code neeer than what
I was working with, I have downloaded the latest 0.3
code (from the winico31.zip file) and patched the sources
in our CVS repository.

I have changed the version number to 0.4 to avoid even
more confusion.  The only difference between 0.3 and
0.4 is that the VC++ makefile is now called "makefile.vc"
and there are now TEA-compliant configure.in and Makefile.in
files.  I have not yet implemented the test suite in the TEA
makefile.

-- Scott Redman
-- Scriptics Corp.

Sun, 31 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: Winico 0.4 prerelease (correction from previous announcement)
You need to run autoconf to get the configure script.

        cd winico
        autoconf
        bash configure
        make

It's just like Unix.  The "make" vs. "gmake" shouldn't
be an issue.  Cygwin ships with gmake named "make", but
only with the "full" version not the "user" version
of the cygwin download.  The one on our website is
for downloading when you have the "user" version only.
Personally, I recommend the "full" version, it seems
to contain all of the necessary pieces.

As I said in one of the threads, we definitely need to
flush out the documentation for this.  If this doesn't
do it, then let's take this thread offline for now
and post the final conclusion when we've figured out
the problem.

-- Scott

Quote:

> >I have changed the version number to 0.4 to avoid even
> >more confusion.  The only difference between 0.3 and
> >0.4 is that the VC++ makefile is now called "makefile.vc"
> >and there are now TEA-compliant configure.in and Makefile.in
> >files.  I have not yet implemented the test suite in the TEA
> >makefile.

> Is there any chance of step my step instructions for what to do
> with this source code to generate the dll with 'TEA'?  Frankly
> I don't even know how to start.  There's no configure file, so
> I can't do ./configure, there's no makefile,...

> I guess I'm being dense...but this is an honest question.
> It's great that this is supposed to be easy, but without
> any working instructions I feel like one of an infinite number
> of poor monkeys.  (see my other thread on TEA for problems
> with instructions in sample extension).

> thanks,

> Vince.

> p.s. I have cygwin installed and running.  As pointed out in
> my previous message it includes 'make', but I don't know if
> that is the same as the 'gmake' which is supposed to be on your
> web site, but isn't (according to sampleextension instructions).

Sun, 31 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: Winico 0.4 prerelease (correction from previous announcement)
Oh, ok.  Then you definitely need to change the documentation which comes
with sample-extension.  I quote:

7.  If you are authoring a TEA extension, you will also want the GNU
    autoconf package.  This can be obtained from http://www.gnu.org

To me this says I don't need autoconf if I'm not authoring an extension,
which is obviously not the case, given your solution below.  Anyway, I
don't appear to have autoconf as part of cygwin b20, so I guess I'd better
go and look for it.

thanks!

-- Vince

<http://www.santafe.edu/~vince>

Quote:

> You need to run autoconf to get the configure script.

>    cd winico
>    autoconf
>    bash configure
>    make

> It's just like Unix.  The "make" vs. "gmake" shouldn't
> be an issue.  Cygwin ships with gmake named "make", but
> only with the "full" version not the "user" version
> of the cygwin download.  The one on our website is
> for downloading when you have the "user" version only.
> Personally, I recommend the "full" version, it seems
> to contain all of the necessary pieces.

> As I said in one of the threads, we definitely need to
> flush out the documentation for this.  If this doesn't
> do it, then let's take this thread offline for now
> and post the final conclusion when we've figured out
> the problem.

> -- Scott

> > >I have changed the version number to 0.4 to avoid even
> > >more confusion.  The only difference between 0.3 and
> > >0.4 is that the VC++ makefile is now called "makefile.vc"
> > >and there are now TEA-compliant configure.in and Makefile.in
> > >files.  I have not yet implemented the test suite in the TEA
> > >makefile.

> > Is there any chance of step my step instructions for what to do
> > with this source code to generate the dll with 'TEA'?  Frankly
> > I don't even know how to start.  There's no configure file, so
> > I can't do ./configure, there's no makefile,...

> > I guess I'm being dense...but this is an honest question.
> > It's great that this is supposed to be easy, but without
> > any working instructions I feel like one of an infinite number
> > of poor monkeys.  (see my other thread on TEA for problems
> > with instructions in sample extension).

> > thanks,

> > Vince.

> > p.s. I have cygwin installed and running.  As pointed out in
> > my previous message it includes 'make', but I don't know if
> > that is the same as the 'gmake' which is supposed to be on your
> > web site, but isn't (according to sampleextension instructions).

Sun, 31 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: Winico 0.4 prerelease (correction from previous announcement)
Ah, the problem is that we don't keep the configure files
in CVS, only the configure.in (and *.m4) file.  We'll change
the docs to include "if you are getting the sources from
a CVS repository".

-- Scott

Quote:

> Oh, ok.  Then you definitely need to change the documentation which comes
> with sample-extension.  I quote:

> 7.  If you are authoring a TEA extension, you will also want the GNU
>     autoconf package.  This can be obtained from http://www.gnu.org

> To me this says I don't need autoconf if I'm not authoring an extension,
> which is obviously not the case, given your solution below.  Anyway, I
> don't appear to have autoconf as part of cygwin b20, so I guess I'd better
> go and look for it.

> thanks!

Sun, 31 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: Winico 0.4 prerelease (correction from previous announcement)
Hi, all...

For those who are trying to use Cygwin for developing cross-platform
apps on Windows, I want to put in an utterly shameless plug for my
employer here.  This sort of thing is actually against my nature in
general, but it is relevant to the discussion, so...

Cygnus is releasing a CD with the Cygwin core, gcc and friends, GDBTk
- my favorite app :-) and all the Unix tools we could get to compile
for Cygwin.  It has everything you need to build the Scriptics
TEA sample (except the copy of VC++), and a shiny installer as well.  It
does significantly ease the pain of getting Cygwin on your machine.
And all for only $99.99 (actually, I think they left off the .99...)

What's even more cool, they are going to sell it in Fry's and
CompUSA.  I never worked for a company that sold something at Fry's
before...

Anyway, all the Cygwin tools are available for free and will continue
to be available for download at sourceware.cygnus.com, but for those
who can stick their employers for the $100, it is a very pleasant way
to get Cygwin set up on your machine.  You can get it from
www.cygnus.com, or one of the aforementioned retail outlets...

Jim

Quote:

--
++==++==++==++==++==++==++==++==++==++==++==++==++==++==++==++==++==++==++

Cygnus Solutions Inc.

Sun, 31 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: Winico 0.4 prerelease (correction from previous announcement)

Quote:
> Cygnus is releasing a CD with the Cygwin core, gcc and friends, GDBTk
> - my favorite app :-) and all the Unix tools we could get to compile
> for Cygwin.  It has everything you need to build the Scriptics
> TEA sample (except the copy of VC++), and a shiny installer as well.  It

If anyone is willing to provide the patches to the
tcl.m4 file to make GCC work on Windows, feel free.
We're not opposed to it, we just don't have the
time right now.

Quote:
> What's even more cool, they are going to sell it in Fry's and
> CompUSA.  I never worked for a company that sold something at Fry's
> before...

That's cool...if only TclPro were available at Fry's ;-).

Jim, do you know any way to tell cygwin to find /bin/sh
in c:\program files\cygwin-b20\xxx\bin\sh.exe?  Or, force
autoconf and configure to use bash from the PATH?

-- Scott

Sun, 31 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. ANNOUNCE: Winico 0.2 prerelease

2. Prerelease: Free po-utils 0.4

3. Correction to HPF Language Specification, version 0.4

4. Correction to HPF Language Specification, version 0.4

5. ANNOUNCEMENT: POLIS 0.4 Embedded System Framework

6. ANNOUNCEMENT: POLIS 0.4 Embedded System Framework now available

7. ANNOUNCEMENT: POLIS 0.4 Embedded System Framework

8. ANNOUNCEMENT: POLIS 0.4 Embedded System Framework now available

9. Incoming PO utilities 0.4 announcement

10. Announce: O'Hugs 0.4

11. ANNOUNCE: unicode 0.4, command line unicode database query tool

12. ANNOUNCE: Pytables 0.4