Another newbie
Author Message
 Another newbie

Quote:

> Hello, all.
>  I'm really new at this, so please bear with me. I'm trying to find a
> class of widgets that perform a "knob" function, and I can't seem to
> find any. I found some references to IControls, but they turned out to
> be a dead-end. I'm working on an Open Source Amateur Radio project, and
> I could accomplish full functionality with sliders, comboboxes,
> spinners, and buttons, but I'd like to spice it up a bit. Most Hams just
> aren't happy unless they have a "knob" to turn, even if it's just a
> virtual knob, and I'd like to try and satisfy that urge. There already
> is an Amateur Radio that's fully computer controlled, but most of the
> guys I've talked to don't care for the virtual panel because it doesn't
> have a "knob". <Sigh>
> I could probably figure out how to implement a new class of widgers, but
> I'm not that good of a programmer (yet), as I've only been at this a few
> weeks.
> I'd really appreciate a nudge in the right direction, as this seems to
> be one of the most sane ng's I've ever found.

Jeff hobbs has a 'dial' widget that I think will do what you want
in his 'vu' widgets package.  The vu widgets are a set of C extensions
to Tk.  You can get the source for them from CVS at
http://www.*-*-*.com/
or you can download a source snapshot from Bob Techentin's snapshots
at

http://www.*-*-*.com/ (Under the CVS distributions section).

I think Jeffs site for vu is something like:

http://www.*-*-*.com/

however I am having trouble accessing it right now.. Maybe you can get
vu from there tommorrow.

I hope that helps.

--Dan

Sat, 08 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Another newbie
[...]
TIA, Jim

Sun, 09 Mar 2003 12:00:24 GMT
 Another newbie

Quote:
> I think Jeffs site for vu is something like:

> http://www.purl.com/NET/hobbs/

http://www.purl.org/net/hobbs/

THe trailing / is important.

MY EMAIL ADDRESS HAS CHANGED --> UPDATE YOUR ADDRESSBOOK

Laurent Duperval                 "Montreal winters are an intelligence test,
                                         and we who are here have failed it."

Penguin Power!         ***Nothing I say reflects the views of my employer***

Sun, 09 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Another newbie
Ahhhhh.....Now it works!
Now if I can just figure out how to USE this stuff!
Well.....I have to begin somewhere, and Tcl/Tk seems as good a place as
any.
Thanks, Jim

Mon, 10 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Newbie Newbie, we are all Newbie to something

2. Not a newbie, but a newbie question...

3. Does a variable exist? NEWBIE NEWBIE NEW

4. Newbie wants newbie friend

5. newbie BRAND newbie!

7. Newbie Pythom + Newbie Com = Way confussed

8. Trivial Newbie Question (Newbie)

9. Newbie "Why does my program..." Was: Re: Newbie 370 Questions

10. Newbie - as in "really" Newbie!

11. Help a newbie search the archives

12. A few more newbie questions..