ANNOUNCE: freeWrap 5.61 released
Author Message
 ANNOUNCE: freeWrap 5.61 released

This message announces the release of freeWrap version 5.61

The freeWrap program turns TCL/TK scripts into single-file binary executable
programs. freeWrap can wrap TCL/TK applications that consist of multiple
script and binary files. freeWrap combines all the files together into a
single executable file.

freeWrap 5.61 is based on TCL/TK 8.4.6

freeWrap executables are freely available for both Linux and Windows.

Instructions and source code for building freeWrap on both Windows and UNIX
platforms is also freely available.

The following additional variation of freeWrap is also available for
download:

     freewrapBLT         a windowing application that includes TCL/TK and
the BLT extension
     freewrapTCLSH       a console-only application which includes only TCL.

Please visit the freeWrap home page:

          http://www.*-*-*.com/

Changes implemented in version 5.61
------------------------------------
1) Corrected a problem with the freeWrap Make files which could result in
improper assembly of the freeWrap program. This problem affected the
official version 5.6 release packages. Therefore, the version 5.6 release
packages of freeWrap should not be used. Download and use version 5.61
instead.

2) All TCL encoding files have been included in freeWrap. Prior versions
only included cp1250.enc.

3) FreeWrap 5.61 has been compiled with TCL/TK 8.4.6.

Changes implemented in version 5.6
------------------------------------

1) A new freeWrap command line option has been added to specify the Windows
program icon to use for the wrapped application.

2) A generic ZIP file creation capability has been added with a
new ::freewrap::makeZIP command. This command incorporates the capabilities
of the Info-ZIP ZIP2.3 program directly into the freeWrap code.

3) FreeWrap no longer uses a separate ZIP program to do its work. ZIP
capabilities have been compiled directly into freeWrap.

4) The WINICO extension for Windows has been added back into freeWrap.

5) The ::freewrap::getStubSize command now returns a correct, non-zero value
under Linux. This fix also enables the ::freewrap::reconnect command to
work under Linux since ::freewrap::reconnect called ::freewrap:getStubSize.

6) FreeWrap no longer performs source code encryption. This "protection" is
rather weak when used in script-wrapping applications. Therefore, this
feature has been removed.

7) You no longer need write permission to script files you will be wrapping.

Thu, 24 Aug 2006 05:19:16 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: freeWrap 5.61 released

Quote:

> This message announces the release of freeWrap version 5.61

> Please visit the freeWrap home page:

>           http://freewrap.sourceforge.net

> Changes implemented in version 5.61
> ------------------------------------
> 1) Corrected a problem with the freeWrap Make files which could result in
> improper assembly of the freeWrap program. This problem affected the
> official version 5.6 release packages. Therefore, the version 5.6 release
> packages of freeWrap should not be used. Download and use version 5.61
> instead.

Hello,

when I start a 5.61-freewrapped program on a SuSE 8.1 Linux the error
./myprog: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3' not found (required by ./myprog)
occured. On Debian based Knoppix Linux it works fine.
Because of a version mismatch I cannnot change the library to a newer one
(from Debian).
Any hints?

Regards
Rainer

Thu, 24 Aug 2006 19:11:31 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: freeWrap 5.61 released
> 2) All TCL encoding files have been included in freeWrap. Prior versions
> only included cp1250.enc.

I hope this is easily changeable. The 8.4
encodings are about 1.4MB.
No need to ship that around when you're just sharing a
prototype for example.
Quote:

> 3) FreeWrap 5.61 has been compiled with TCL/TK 8.4.6.

> Changes implemented in version 5.6
> ------------------------------------

> 1) A new freeWrap command line option has been added to specify the Windows
> program icon to use for the wrapped application.

> 2) A generic ZIP file creation capability has been added with a
> new ::freewrap::makeZIP command. This command incorporates the capabilities
> of the Info-ZIP ZIP2.3 program directly into the freeWrap code.

> 3) FreeWrap no longer uses a separate ZIP program to do its work. ZIP
> capabilities have been compiled directly into freeWrap.

> 4) The WINICO extension for Windows has been added back into freeWrap.

> 5) The ::freewrap::getStubSize command now returns a correct, non-zero value
> under Linux. This fix also enables the ::freewrap::reconnect command to
> work under Linux since ::freewrap::reconnect called ::freewrap:getStubSize.

> 6) FreeWrap no longer performs source code encryption. This "protection" is
> rather weak when used in script-wrapping applications. Therefore, this
> feature has been removed.

> 7) You no longer need write permission to script files you will be wrapping.

Fri, 25 Aug 2006 00:11:02 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: freeWrap 5.61 released

Quote:

> when I start a 5.61-freewrapped program on a SuSE 8.1 Linux the error
> ./myprog: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3' not found (required by ./myprog)
> occured. On Debian based Knoppix Linux it works fine.

Welcome to dependency hell.  Admittance is free, exits are guarded.

The glibc dependencies are common once you compile/link with more
recent gcc's/glibc's.  One way out is to link as 100% static
executable, which makes it larger - and which is becoming harder as
glibc is starting to load more and more pieces dynamically anyway.
Locale's, X input methods: all sorts of things break with static exe's
these days.

The other option is to go back to an older gcc/glibc combo, and hope
that the resulting binary continues to work in newer distributions.
For Tclkit, I ended up trying just about every distro/revision out
there and had to settle on Mandrake <gasp> 7.2 - long live progress!

-jcw

Fri, 25 Aug 2006 02:58:50 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: freeWrap 5.61 released

Quote:

>>when I start a 5.61-freewrapped program on a SuSE 8.1 Linux the error
>>./myprog: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3' not found (required by ./myprog)
>>occured. On Debian based Knoppix Linux it works fine.

> Welcome to dependency hell.  Admittance is free, exits are guarded.

> The glibc dependencies are common once you compile/link with more
> recent gcc's/glibc's.  One way out is to link as 100% static
> executable, which makes it larger - and which is becoming harder as
> glibc is starting to load more and more pieces dynamically anyway.
> Locale's, X input methods: all sorts of things break with static exe's
> these days.

> The other option is to go back to an older gcc/glibc combo, and hope
> that the resulting binary continues to work in newer distributions.
> For Tclkit, I ended up trying just about every distro/revision out
> there and had to settle on Mandrake <gasp> 7.2 - long live progress!

We've actually found that compiling on older systems is the best -
but you often have to have the glibc_compat (or something like that)
installed to use such programs on the latest OS revs (like RH9 and
SuSE9).  It's a simple RPM install, but isn't part of the default
set of libs.

--
     Jeff Hobbs, The Tcl Guy
     http://www.ActiveState.com/, a division of Sophos

Fri, 25 Aug 2006 03:32:17 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: freeWrap 5.61 released
Hi Roy,

Quote:

>> 2) All TCL encoding files have been included in freeWrap. Prior versions
>> only included cp1250.enc.

> I hope this is easily changeable. The 8.4 encodings are about 1.4MB.

To be a little more exact, the FE encodings are 1.6MB (~400KB
compressed).  The rest of the encodings is just some 70KB or
something.

benny

Fri, 25 Aug 2006 04:27:53 GMT

1. FreeWrap 5.61

2. ANNOUNCE: freeWrap 6.2 released - Now with encryption

3. ANNOUNCE: freeWrap 6.1 released

4. ANNOUNCE: freeWrap 6.0 released

5. ANNOUNCE: freeWrap 5.6 released

6. ANNOUNCE: Release of freeWrap version 5.5

7. ANNOUNCE: freeWrap version 5.4 released

8. ANNOUNCE: freeWrap version 5.3 released

9. ANNOUNCE: freeWrap 5.2 released

10. ANNOUNCE: freeWrap 5.1 released

11. ANNOUNCE: freeWrap 5.0 released

12. ANNOUNCE: freeWrap 4.4 released