Creating toplevel window frame with titlebar only
Author Message
 Creating toplevel window frame with titlebar only

Hi all

I was wondering if it is possible to create a toplevel window with only
the title bar in the border (ie no minimize button, no maximize button,
no window manager menu, etc). I am using Tcl7.5 Tk4.1 on an SGI running
IRIX 5.3 and the wm overrideredirect command gets rid of all window
manager decorations, which is not what I would like.

The only option I can think of at the moment (I'm not sure this will
work) is to try and create a C function that will set the window
decorations using Motif commands since the IRIX window manager is based
on Motif. I would like to avoid this option if possible.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time.

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)
High Performance Computing Center
Bangkok, Thailand
of us who do.  ---Anonymous

Jazz and Trek Rule!!!

Sun, 04 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Creating toplevel window frame with titlebar only

Quote:

> Hi all

> I was wondering if it is possible to create a toplevel window with only
> the title bar in the border (ie no minimize button, no maximize button,
> no window manager menu, etc). I am using Tcl7.5 Tk4.1 on an SGI running
> IRIX 5.3 and the wm overrideredirect command gets rid of all window
> manager decorations, which is not what I would like.

> The only option I can think of at the moment (I'm not sure this will
> work) is to try and create a C function that will set the window
> decorations using Motif commands since the IRIX window manager is based
> on Motif. I would like to avoid this option if possible.

wm transient will get you a lot of that on some window managers. It is
window manager specific. If you're only interested in the one window
manager, see if that works. If you want it to work on all window
managers, good luck!!
--

VP Software Engineering    412 621 8333
NeoVision Hypersystems     412 621 8337 (fax)

Sun, 04 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Creating toplevel window frame with titlebar only

Hi

Quote:

> I was wondering if it is possible to create a toplevel window with only
> the title bar in the border (ie no minimize button, no maximize button,
> no window manager menu, etc)

Marc Graham has already mentioned "wm transient" ...

Also take a look at:

        wm resizable $window 0 0

to turn off resizing.

Otherwise you could contemplate:

        wm overrideredirect $window

and fake a title bar ...

Mon, 05 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. toplevel window without titlebar

2. toplevel window with no titlebar?

3. How do I pack things in a frame in a toplevel frame

4. toplevel with window frame only

5. Tkinter Toplevel creating extraneous windows?

6. Controlling placement of newly created toplevel windows

7. How to create child toplevel windows ?

8. Creating toplevel window in tk [Q]

9. creating mutiple toplevel windows.

10. removing the window manager titlebar from a window

11. creating a canvas window on frame

12. frame files in a toplevel file