Ctk dead
Author Message
 Ctk dead

Now that Ctk-development is dead, is there any other way to write applications
in tcl with a fullscreen charactercell-based interface ? Maybe by applying
Beazley's SWIG to curses or termcap-libraries and recompiling tcl source with
the modules thus obtained?

Klaus Schilling

Thu, 16 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Ctk dead

Quote:

> Now that Ctk-development is dead, is there any other way to write applications
> in tcl with a fullscreen charactercell-based interface ? Maybe by applying
> Beazley's SWIG to curses or termcap-libraries and recompiling tcl source with
> the modules thus obtained?

There is a Tcl/curses interface in the NeoSoft archive.  Of course, this
doesn't give you the ability to write interfaces that will work on curses
and standard Tk the way CTk did.  Perhaps what is really needed is a team
of volunteers to maintain and enhance Ctk.

Mark

Thu, 16 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Ctk dead

Quote:

> Now that Ctk-development is dead, is there any other way to write applications
> in tcl with a fullscreen charactercell-based interface ? Maybe by applying
> Beazley's SWIG to curses or termcap-libraries and recompiling tcl source with
> the modules thus obtained?

Wouldn't it be a lot less work just to port CTk to Tcl 8.0?
The source is freely available and unencumbered...  I'd volunteer
to do the port, but probably won't be able to start it until
December or so...

To go with termcap libraries/swig, you could not just run regular Tk
apps.  You *can* do this with CTk, which was one of its great virtues.
Our same app operates nearly the same on a VT100 as it does on
an X display...

                        -=- D. J.

Fri, 17 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. DEAD DEAD DEAD