Wrapping For Mac - tclpro???
Author Message
 Wrapping For Mac - tclpro???

I got this app. i need to distribute for the mac platform.
Is there any mac wrapper out there.

i got tclpro, and i paid bigtime for it. i am not a big mac freak, but
scriptics should not ignore the mac "comeback" that has been, they should
support the mac platform too!!

Any advice on this???

Mads

Fri, 07 Mar 2003 07:12:43 GMT
 Wrapping For Mac - tclpro???
That question has been asked a few times, and answered every
one of them.

Simply put, the Mac hasn't made enough of a comeback to warrant
a release of TclPro.  Given the significant difference in the
way MacOS works compared to others, such a release would be difficult
at best.  We would prefer to spend our time fixing bugs in TclPro
and working on our XML B2B product, which is now the focus of the
company and is why we're no longer called "Scriptics".

Note, MacOS X might be pretty easy to build a Wrapper for, it's
relatively similar to most of the Unix OSes (except for the GUI
and the shared-lib loader) that a wrapper port for Wrap or FreeWrap
should not take much time.

On a side note, the various wrappers essentially implement what
already exists on the Mac.  If you put all of your .tcl files in
the Resource (name??) section of the binary, you just need to
tweak the Tcl core (hijack "file" and "source" commands) and
you're good to go.  Someone once told me that this wouldn't be
that difficult.

-- Scott Redman
-- Ajuba Solutions, Inc.

Quote:

> I got this app. i need to distribute for the mac platform.
> Is there any mac wrapper out there.

> i got tclpro, and i paid bigtime for it. i am not a big mac freak, but
> scriptics should not ignore the mac "comeback" that has been, they should
> support the mac platform too!!

> Any advice on this???

> Mads

Fri, 07 Mar 2003 09:59:10 GMT
 Wrapping For Mac - tclpro???

Quote:

> That question has been asked a few times, and answered every
> one of them.

> Simply put, the Mac hasn't made enough of a comeback to warrant
> a release of TclPro.  Given the significant difference in the
> way MacOS works compared to others, such a release would be difficult
> at best.  We would prefer to spend our time fixing bugs in TclPro
> and working on our XML B2B product, which is now the focus of the
> company and is why we're no longer called "Scriptics".

> Note, MacOS X might be pretty easy to build a Wrapper for, it's
> relatively similar to most of the Unix OSes (except for the GUI
> and the shared-lib loader) that a wrapper port for Wrap or FreeWrap
> should not take much time.

> On a side note, the various wrappers essentially implement what
> already exists on the Mac.  If you put all of your .tcl files in
> the Resource (name??) section of the binary, you just need to
> tweak the Tcl core (hijack "file" and "source" commands) and
> you're good to go.  Someone once told me that this wouldn't be
> that difficult.

This is mostly right, except the bit about needing to tweak the Tcl core.
Source already has a -rsrc argument that allows it to read the file from
the resource fork.  Actually, that Tcl & Tk shared libraries contain all
the Tcl & Tk library code in their resource forks, and read it from
there.

File probably is not such a big deal, unless you want to open data files.
But for that, you can use "resource open" and friends to get stuff out of
the resource fork.  You will have to abstract at a slightly higher level,
however...

Also, Jean-Claude Whippler is working on getting TclKit going for the Mac,
and seems to be making good progress.  This uses a VFS that is part of the
data fork of the executable (to make it more uniform across platforms) and
is much like the TclPro Wrapper.

JIm

--

Mon, 17 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. using tclpro to wrap my expect scripts

2. trying to wrap an application with Tclpro, but under tcl8.3.3

3. TclPro for the Mac?

4. Wrapping Tcl on Mac

5. Is Code Wrapped With TclPro Incompatible with init on Solaris 2.6?

6. Product Announcement - APL.68000 Level II for Mac and Power Mac

7. Mac Developer, with C++( or smalltalk), Power Plant, Mac OS,OO can you help

8. Mac Developer, with C++( or smalltalk), Power Plant, Mac OS,OO needed

9. Mac Developers., with C++( or smalltalk), Power Plant,Mac OS,OO experience help needed

10. Can a Mac Developer, with C++( or smalltalk), Power Plant, Mac OS,OO needed

11. Mac Developer, with C++( or smalltalk), Power Plant, Mac OS,OO required

12. Can a Mac Developer, with C++( or smalltalk), Power Plant, Mac OS,OO needed