Help with online help system...
Author Message
 Help with online help system...

I have a Tcl/tk application that has an online help system using a browser and
HTML.  When the user wants context sensitive help, I use something like the
following from Tcl:

exec $szBrowser $szHtmlFile &

This works fine, launching the browser which reads and displays the proper HTML
file.

My problem is that this code always brings up a new browser - if the user
invokes help 5 times they will have 5 browsers up on their system if they don't
close any browsers down.

Is there a way to get a browser that is running to open up a different HTML
file?

Thanks.

Ben

Mon, 07 Jul 2003 02:55:40 GMT
 Help with online help system...

Quote:
> I have a Tcl/tk application that has an online help system using a browser and
> HTML.  When the user wants context sensitive help, I use something like the
> following from Tcl:

> exec $szBrowser $szHtmlFile &

> This works fine, launching the browser which reads and displays the proper HTML
> file.

> My problem is that this code always brings up a new browser - if the user
> invokes help 5 times they will have 5 browsers up on their system if they don't
> close any browsers down.

> Is there a way to get a browser that is running to open up a different HTML
> file?

> Thanks.

> Ben

Look at how browsex do it (http://www.browsex.com). Basically, you can
create a semaphore file when your process starts that say which process is
used to display help pages. Then, using the send command, you can contact
that process and tell it to read the new HTML file.

Other possibilities:

- you're on Windows, use "exec $env(COMSPEC) start $sxHtmlFile &"

- Netscape has a command line argument that tells it
  to contact an already running browser. I would guess that other browsers
  do the same.

MY EMAIL ADDRESS HAS CHANGED --> UPDATE YOUR ADDRESSBOOK

Laurent Duperval                 "Montreal winters are an intelligence test,
                                         and we who are here have failed it."

Penguin Power!         ***Nothing I say reflects the views of my employer***

Mon, 07 Jul 2003 03:32:32 GMT
 Help with online help system...

Quote:

> Is there a way to get a browser that is running to open up a different HTML
> file?

Search the Tcl'ers Wiki for a page titled "Invoking Browsers."
http://purl.org/thecliff/tcl/wiki gets you there, and sifting through
the wiki for a bit is a very educational experience. :-)

Bob
--

Mayo Foundation                                 (507) 538-5495
200 First St. SW                            FAX (507) 284-9171

Mon, 07 Jul 2003 04:15:53 GMT
 Help with online help system...

:Search the Tcl'ers Wiki for a page titled "Invoking Browsers."
:http://purl.org/thecliff/tcl/wiki gets you there, and sifting through
:the wiki for a bit is a very educational experience. :-)

Just a note - I've tried really hard over the past 4 weeks or so to
update the New Pages to reflect all the pages on the Wiki - no small task
(sure wish there was a built in page for this... anyone want to become a
Wikit hacker?)  If you select "recent changes" from the first page, you
will come to a page that lists all the wikit pages that have changed
in the past few days - new pages will generally be one of them <wink> and
so by selecting that one, you get to see all the useful titles on the
tcler's wiki.

"See, he's not just anyone ... he's my son."  Mark Schultz

Wed, 09 Jul 2003 02:28:58 GMT

1. HELP: HELP: HELP: HELP: Online-manual on Expect

2. help! f90.help help help help

3. BEST Help system WANTED, creating help files for a clarion app

4. NO HOPE FOR DEAD DATABASE SYSTEM..HELP HELP

5. Help with help system...

7. HELP HELP HELP HELP

8. HELP HELP HELP HELP

10. help help help help!!!!!!!!!!!

11. (HELP (HELP (HELP (HELP))))

12. Please help find online Penfield paper re Branch Cuts