wish: $DISPLAY environment ???
Author Message
 wish: $DISPLAY environment ???

I am always getting this error when i try to run wish:
/tools: wish8.3
Application initialization failed: no display name and no $DISPLAY environment v
ariable
% /tools:

What is the $DISPLAY variable?

sorry if this is a beginner question i am just learning tcl/tk.

-Anthony

Tue, 23 Nov 2004 00:48:20 GMT
 wish: $DISPLAY environment ???

Quote:

> I am always getting this error when i try to run wish:
> /tools: wish8.3
> Application initialization failed: no display name and no $DISPLAY
> environment v ariable
> % /tools:

> What is the $DISPLAY variable?

This has nothing to do with tcl/tk: the DISPLAY environment variable is
used by the X11 client application to know where its graphical output
should go. It's normally automatically set by your machine to the correct
value but is frequently lost when you do a rlogin to another machine. Is it
your case? If it is, the solution is simple: set this variable to the value
"<hostname>:0", where <hostname is the name of your machine, or its IP
address. The setting is made in the shell window just before running your
tcl/tk application by doing:

DISPLAY="<hostname>:0"
export DISPLAY

on sh-compatible shells (sh, ksh, bash), or:

setenv DISPLAY "<hostname>:0"

on csh-compatible shells (csh, tcsh)

You may also have to issue the command:

xhost +

on your machine (not the one you rlogged to) to allow the distant machine
to connect to its X11 server.

HTH

Tue, 23 Nov 2004 03:05:03 GMT
 wish: $DISPLAY environment ???

Quote:

> You may also have to issue the command:

> xhost +

> on your machine (not the one you rlogged to) to allow the distant machine
> to connect to its X11 server.

Doing "xhost +" allows any machine on the entire internet to see what you're
typing. It's far better to read the man page for xhost and then simply say

xhost blah

where "blah" is the remote machine you're logged into.

--
Darren New
** http://home.san.rr.com/dnew/DNResume.html **

     My brain needs a "back" button so I can
         remember where I left my coffee mug.

Tue, 23 Nov 2004 04:17:53 GMT
 wish: $DISPLAY environment ???

:I am always getting this error when i try to run wish:
:/tools: wish8.3
:Application initialization failed: no display name and no $DISPLAY environment v
:ariable
:% /tools:
:
:What is the $DISPLAY variable?

wish is an application for creating graphical user interfaces.  On a
Unix like system, this occurs via calls to the X Window System.

The X Window system environment requires one to have defined in their
shell environment a variable called $DISPLAY.  This variable defines
onto which machine and which monitor graphical output should be displayed.

One normally gets such a variable set when one logs onto the console of a
machine capable of running the X Window System.  This is because the variable
is required to get a window manager running, etc.

One normally sees the above error after telnet'ing (or rsh/rlogin-ing) into
a second machine.  In cases like this, one needs to remember to set the
DISPLAY variable back to the appropriate machine and monitor for display.

--
Support Internet Radio <URL: http://saveinternetradio.org/ >
Join Tcl'2002 in Vancouver http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2002/

Wed, 24 Nov 2004 01:24:56 GMT

1. no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable

2. no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable -- ????

3. ANNOUNCE: Three WISHes for 2006 (WISH Supernotepad 2006, WISH Command Center 2006, WISH CD-Writer 2006)

4. A wish like environment for python

5. Tcl, wish and environment variables

6. wish.exe build does not display console on windows platform

7. wish with no display needed

8. : wish crashes when displaying a disabled button with image + text (windows)

9. Wish opens but widgets are not displayed.

10. Win32 wish -display argument question

11. wish- DISPLAY too long problem

12. wish program without a display??