ActiveState contest: Coolest Tk Screenshot 
Author Message
 ActiveState contest: Coolest Tk Screenshot

Submit the coolest Tk screenshot and win an ActiveTcl Pro Studio
membership, including Tcl Dev Kit, Komodo Pro, Expect for
Windows and Safari Bookshelf!

To enter, submit your best cross-platform Tk script capable of
being run on judges' machines. You must use components provided
in ActiveTcl. Applications can be completely canned in content,
but they have to run.  Existing apps are allowed.

Entries will be judged members of the Core Tcl Team on the basis
of complexity, originality and artistic quality. The top two
entries will each receive a one-year subscription to ActiveTcl
Pro Studio.

Enter the contest now:
        http://www.*-*-*.com/

Contest deadline is October 7, 2004. Winners will be announced
October 13 at the 11th Annual Tcl/Tk Conference, and winning
entries will be featured on ActiveState's ASPN website.

ActiveTcl is available for download at:
        http://www.*-*-*.com/

For more info on the 11th Annual Tcl Conference, see:
        http://www.*-*-*.com/

Good luck!

The Tcl Team, ActiveState
http://www.*-*-*.com/



Mon, 26 Feb 2007 03:33:59 GMT  
 ActiveState contest: Coolest Tk Screenshot

Quote:
> Submit the coolest Tk screenshot and win an ActiveTcl Pro Studio
> membership, including Tcl Dev Kit, Komodo Pro, Expect for
> Windows and Safari Bookshelf!

Do I have to write the code myself, or can I just submit Damon
Courtney's InstallBase?
(http://installbase.sourceforge.net/screenshots.shtml)  That's gotta
be one of the best looking Tk apps I've ever seen!  :-)

Bob
--

Mayo Foundation                                 (507) 538-5495
200 First St. SW                            FAX (507) 284-9171
Rochester MN, 55901  USA            http://www.mayo.edu/sppdg/



Mon, 26 Feb 2007 04:49:20 GMT  
 ActiveState contest: Coolest Tk Screenshot

Quote:


>>Submit the coolest Tk screenshot and win an ActiveTcl Pro Studio
>>membership, including Tcl Dev Kit, Komodo Pro, Expect for
>>Windows and Safari Bookshelf!

> Do I have to write the code myself, or can I just submit Damon
> Courtney's InstallBase?
> (http://installbase.sourceforge.net/screenshots.shtml)  That's gotta
> be one of the best looking Tk apps I've ever seen!  :-)

If we receive submissions where the submitter was not a contributor
to the code, we would probably search for the major contributor of
the app (in this case, Damon) and award him the prize.

--
     Jeff Hobbs, The Tcl Guy
     http://www.ActiveState.com/, a division of Sophos



Mon, 26 Feb 2007 12:12:51 GMT  
 ActiveState contest: Coolest Tk Screenshot
On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 12:33:59 -0700, Jeff Hobbs

Quote:

>To enter, submit your best cross-platform Tk script capable of
>being run on judges' machines. You must use components provided
>in ActiveTcl. Applications can be completely canned in content,
>but they have to run.  Existing apps are allowed.

It would be cool, if the code that produces the GUI (proper
functionality could be completely removed) would be made public. This
way others could learn how to realize good looking apps - I'd
certainly be interested.
Helmut Giese


Mon, 26 Feb 2007 14:19:09 GMT  
 ActiveState contest: Coolest Tk Screenshot
I have a few objections regarding the submission
process though :-) I want to submit an application known
as "ellogon". There is an html page with screenshots
already (http://www.ellogon.org/screenshots.html),
but I cannot submit a url with screenshots.
There is also a page for downloading the app
(http://www.ellogon.org/download.html). but I cannot
submit this either. I have to create an archive with
install & screenshots and submit that instead with http
upload. Can you imagine how difficult is to correctly
submit such an archieve (~ 15MB) through an 64K ISDN
connection? :-)

George

Quote:

> Submit the coolest Tk screenshot and win an ActiveTcl Pro Studio
> membership, including Tcl Dev Kit, Komodo Pro, Expect for
> Windows and Safari Bookshelf!

> To enter, submit your best cross-platform Tk script capable of
> being run on judges' machines. You must use components provided
> in ActiveTcl. Applications can be completely canned in content,
> but they have to run.  Existing apps are allowed.

> Entries will be judged members of the Core Tcl Team on the basis
> of complexity, originality and artistic quality. The top two
> entries will each receive a one-year subscription to ActiveTcl
> Pro Studio.

> Enter the contest now:
>     http://aspn.ActiveState.com/ASPN/Tcl/Tk_Contest/

> Contest deadline is October 7, 2004. Winners will be announced
> October 13 at the 11th Annual Tcl/Tk Conference, and winning
> entries will be featured on ActiveState's ASPN website.

> ActiveTcl is available for download at:
>     http://www.ActiveState.com/ActiveTcl/download

> For more info on the 11th Annual Tcl Conference, see:
>     http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2004/

> Good luck!

> The Tcl Team, ActiveState
> http://www.ActiveState.com



Mon, 26 Feb 2007 15:53:36 GMT  
 ActiveState contest: Coolest Tk Screenshot

Quote:

> On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 12:33:59 -0700, Jeff Hobbs

>>To enter, submit your best cross-platform Tk script capable of
>>being run on judges' machines. You must use components provided
>>in ActiveTcl. Applications can be completely canned in content,
>>but they have to run.  Existing apps are allowed.

> It would be cool, if the code that produces the GUI (proper
> functionality could be completely removed) would be made public. This
> way others could learn how to realize good looking apps - I'd
> certainly be interested.

Please note that the announcement said:

Quote:
> Contest deadline is October 7, 2004. Winners will be announced
> October 13 at the 11th Annual Tcl/Tk Conference, and winning
> entries will be featured on ActiveState's ASPN website.

So we do plan to showcase these for others.

--
     Jeff Hobbs, The Tcl Guy
     http://www.ActiveState.com/, a division of Sophos



Tue, 27 Feb 2007 00:15:17 GMT  
 ActiveState contest: Coolest Tk Screenshot

Quote:

> I have a few objections regarding the submission
> process though :-) I want to submit an application known
> as "ellogon". There is an html page with screenshots
> already (http://www.ellogon.org/screenshots.html),
> but I cannot submit a url with screenshots.
> There is also a page for downloading the app
> (http://www.ellogon.org/download.html). but I cannot

You can do anything you want, that doesn't mean that it won't
get rejected if it doesn't work.  The reason we want something
that can be bundled up is that (1) we want to see that this is
all functioning on top of ActiveTcl, because also (2) we want
to provide these in a central place following the contest for
others to play with on a standard ActiveTcl install.  I don't
want people to just look at screenshots - I want them to *feel*
the app.

This is part contest, but better part educational exercise for
other Tk users on good development practices.  A screenshot
will only go so far.  You want to feel the app and explore the
code to understand how to replicate the ideas.

Quote:
> submit this either. I have to create an archive with
> install & screenshots and submit that instead with http
> upload. Can you imagine how difficult is to correctly
> submit such an archieve (~ 15MB) through an 64K ISDN
> connection? :-)

Well, is it possible to reduce the size of that?  We don't
need any doc sections of existing apps, and there must be some
excisable chunks in there.  Also, is it multiple apps, or just
a single app?  The screenshots imply multiple apps.

--
     Jeff Hobbs, The Tcl Guy
     http://www.ActiveState.com/, a division of Sophos



Tue, 27 Feb 2007 00:27:51 GMT  
 ActiveState contest: Coolest Tk Screenshot
On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 09:15:17 -0700, Jeff Hobbs
Quote:

>Please note that the announcement said:

>> Contest deadline is October 7, 2004. Winners will be announced
>> October 13 at the 11th Annual Tcl/Tk Conference, and winning
>> entries will be featured on ActiveState's ASPN website.

'featured' can mean lots of things ...
Quote:

>So we do plan to showcase these for others.

... as does 'showcase' :)
But I also read your answer to George's posting and this does clarify
things. (I just hated the idea to sit there staring at some gorgeous
screen shots, wondering how the h... he/she did accomplish this - I
know I'd never figure it out.)
Thanks
Helmut Giese


Tue, 27 Feb 2007 02:53:28 GMT  
 ActiveState contest: Coolest Tk Screenshot


Quote:

> > I have a few objections regarding the submission
> > process though :-) I want to submit an application known
> > as "ellogon". There is an html page with screenshots
> > already (http://www.ellogon.org/screenshots.html),
> > but I cannot submit a url with screenshots.
> > There is also a page for downloading the app
> > (http://www.ellogon.org/download.html). but I cannot

> You can do anything you want, that doesn't mean that it won't
> get rejected if it doesn't work.  The reason we want something
> that can be bundled up is that (1) we want to see that this is
> all functioning on top of ActiveTcl, because also (2) we want
> to provide these in a central place following the contest for
> others to play with on a standard ActiveTcl install.  I don't
> want people to just look at screenshots - I want them to *feel*
> the app.

> This is part contest, but better part educational exercise for
> other Tk users on good development practices.  A screenshot
> will only go so far.  You want to feel the app and explore the
> code to understand how to replicate the ideas.

Hmm, for this reason you need better good written but small
apps, that are easy to see/understand their code. I am afraid
that since ellogon is a huge app, it won't fullfil this goal at all...
Perhaps its better to not submit it :-)

Quote:

> > submit this either. I have to create an archive with
> > install & screenshots and submit that instead with http
> > upload. Can you imagine how difficult is to correctly
> > submit such an archieve (~ 15MB) through an 64K ISDN
> > connection? :-)

> Well, is it possible to reduce the size of that?  We don't
> need any doc sections of existing apps, and there must be some
> excisable chunks in there.  Also, is it multiple apps, or just
> a single app?  The screenshots imply multiple apps.

No, it is a single application. Ellogon can be roughly thought
as an natural language processing IDE, which manages your
projects, data and the C-C++-tcl-perl-python-java NLP
components. It does really a lot of things, including many facilities
for analysing & visualising your NLP data. It can become smaller,
but this requires some efford... :-)

George



Tue, 27 Feb 2007 04:43:32 GMT  
 ActiveState contest: Coolest Tk Screenshot

Quote:

> > Do I have to write the code myself, or can I just submit Damon
> > Courtney's InstallBase?
> > (http://installbase.sourceforge.net/screenshots.shtml) That's
> > gotta be one of the best looking Tk apps I've ever seen!  :-)

> If we receive submissions where the submitter was not a contributor
> to the code, we would probably search for the major contributor of
> the app (in this case, Damon) and award him the prize.

OK OK.  I was only kidding.  (thus the smiley)  But since you mention
it, I'm glad to know I could submit on someone else's behalf.

Bob
--

Mayo Foundation                                 (507) 538-5495
200 First St. SW                            FAX (507) 284-9171
Rochester MN, 55901  USA            http://www.mayo.edu/sppdg/



Mon, 26 Feb 2007 20:30:57 GMT  
 
 [ 10 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Coolest Tk Screenshot Contest: Win ActiveTcl Pro Studio!

2. ActiveState Contest

3. Need Your Help In Choosing Cool Prizes For Contest

4. Newbie question about Tcl/Tk cross-platform and looking for BLT stripchart screenshot

5. Even Tcl/Tk goes ActiveSTATE

6. Even Tcl/Tk goes ActiveSTATE

7. Cool jobs going at a cool company....

8. ActiveState Tk man pages

9. Non-ActiveState Win32 Build of TCL/TK?

10. Contest Registration (was: Re: ICFP Programming Contest (ii))

11. Tcl/Tk 1.3b3 Release and Contest Announcement

12. A Tcl/Tk programming contest

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software