: Redirect stdoutput to a Text Widget
Author Message
 : Redirect stdoutput to a Text Widget

I want to run a program in background and redirect the output to a text Widget
or any other window within my tcl/tk application. The program will "never"
terminate and so i can't use the simple form 'set x [exec xyz &]'

How can I redirect the standart output to a text Widget?
I'm using tcl7.3 and tk3.6

Any help would be greatly appreciated! - Thank's

Mon, 29 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 : Redirect stdoutput to a Text Widget
: I want to run a program in background and redirect the output to a text Widget
: or any other window within my tcl/tk application. The program will "never"
: terminate and so i can't use the simple form 'set x [exec xyz &]'
: How can I redirect the standart output to a text Widget?
: I'm using tcl7.3 and tk3.6

You could use the add_input extension from ftp.aud.alcatel.com. Issue a
"set desc [open |xyz]", then pass this descriptor to add_input as well as
a Tcl procedure that should be called when input is available. Another
option is to add the BLT extension, which provides the blt_bgexec command
to achieve a similar effect. BTW: Tk 4.0 has the fileevent command, which
is modelled after add_input. If you write your application from scratch,
you should consider to upgrade to Tk 4.0 asap.

mike

Tue, 30 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. Some questions on elided text in the text widget (and a few other text widget questions)

2. redirecting sys.stdout to a Tkinter Text widget?

3. Redirecting stdout to a read-only text widget

4. How To Redirect Standard Output To A Text Widget

5. Redirecting stdout to text widget

6. newbie unable to redirect to text widget

7. Redirect Output From exec to text widget

8. Redirecting stdin/stdout to/from a text widget

9. Redirecting standart error to a text widget

10. Redirect stdout to a text widget

11. Redirecting stdout to text widget, How?

12. Redirecting Expect output to Text Widget