Problems building tcl8.3.1 under Tru64Unix
Author Message
 Problems building tcl8.3.1 under Tru64Unix

Hi,

though I don't think that this is a Tcl problem, I ask the
community for help.

If tcl8.3.x is build under Tru64Unix 5.0 the "make test"-suite
fails. Among several errors in the format.test and http.test
sections, there is a serious problem in the io.test section.
Not enough, the error appears different if the file
system is mounted via nfs or directly.

Running the tests on a file system that is mounted via nfs, I
get the following error:

io.test

==== io-44.5 FileEventProc procedure: end of file FAILED
==== Contents of test case:

    set f4 [open "|[list $::tcltest::tcltest cat << foo]" r]
    fileevent $f4 readable {
        if {[gets $f4 line] < 0} {
            lappend x eof
            fileevent $f4 readable {}
        } else {
            lappend x $line
        }
    }
    set x initial
    vwait x
    vwait x
    close $f4
    set x

==== Test generated error:
can't wait for variable "x":  would wait forever
---- Result should have been:
initial foo eof
==== io-44.5 FAILED

I've tested this on Compaqs testdrive:

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Performing the testsuite on a device mounted direct via AdvFs
(Advanced File System), I get much more errors in the
io section. The first one says:

==== io-14.9 reuse of stdio special channels FAILED
==== Contents of test case:

    removeFile script
    removeFile test1
    set f [open script w]
    puts $f {
        set f [open test1 w]
        puts $f hello
        close $f
        close stderr
        set f [open "|[list [info nameofexecutable] cat test1]" r]
        puts [gets $f]
    }
    close $f
    set f [open "|[list $::tcltest::tcltest script]" r]
    set c [gets $f]
    close $f
    set c

---- Result was:

---- Result should have been:
hello
==== io-14.9 FAILED

and the second:

==== io-32.7 Tcl_Read, nonblocking, file FAILED
==== Contents of test case:

    set f1 [open longfile r]
    fconfigure $f1 -blocking off
    set z [read $f1 20]
    close $f1
    set l [string length $z]
    set x ok
    if {$l != 20} {
        set x broken
    }
    set x

==== Test generated error:
error setting blocking mode: inappropriate device for ioctl
---- Result should have been:
ok
==== io-32.7 FAILED

The latter one point to the fact that there seems to be a problem
setting "-blocking none" to a file descriptor. Finally the process
hangs up at the position the NFS-test suit reports the "wait forever"
error.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated.
uwe

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Sat, 15 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Problems building tcl8.3.1 under Tru64Unix

Quote:

> though I don't think that this is a Tcl problem, I ask the
> community for help.

> If tcl8.3.x is build under Tru64Unix 5.0 the "make test"-suite
> fails. Among several errors in the format.test and http.test
> sections, there is a serious problem in the io.test section.
> Not enough, the error appears different if the file
> system is mounted via nfs or directly.

When compiling 8.3.2 on the following Tru64 machine (OSF1 == Tru64,
right?):

www.place.net [~/cvs/tcl8.3/unix] 38 % uname -a
OSF1 www.place.net V4.0 1091 alpha

I get only the following error:

==== clock-3.2 clock format tests FAILED
==== Contents of test case:

    # TCL_USE_TIMEZONE_VAR

    catch {set oldtz $env(TZ)}
    set env(TZ) PST
    set x {}
    append x [clock format 863800000 -format %Z -gmt 1]
    append x [set env(TZ)]
    catch {unset env(TZ); set env(TZ) $oldtz}
    set x

---- Result was:
CSTPST
---- Result should have been:
GMTPST
==== clock-3.2 FAILED

and there is also a problem in stack-1.1 that depends on the default
stacksize (raise it with 'limit stacksize 8096' and all works).

--
   Jeffrey Hobbs                     The Tcl Guy
   hobbs at ajubasolutions.com       Ajuba Solutions (ne Scriptics)

Tue, 18 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. build-problem for Tcl8.5(cvs) on sol8 for 64bit

2. tcl8.4a4 build problem

3. tcl8.0 build problems on linux

4. build problems: tcl8.0 on SunOS

5. f90 for tru64unix

6. Tcl8.4.11 build failed on solaris8

7. tcl8.4.11 build error on solaris8

8. Errors in test of tcl8.4.3 build on HP-UX

9. tcl8.4.1 build fails on sol8

10. Can't build tDom 0.74 with tcl8.4

11. Compile error building tcl8.4.0 using MinGW-gcc, Cygwin

12. Trouble encountered with building Tcl8.3.4