Trying to compile TCL/TK on AIX 4.3.2 with Visual Age C++ 4.0
Author Message
 Trying to compile TCL/TK on AIX 4.3.2 with Visual Age C++ 4.0

This is as far as I get with running the
configure script:

[nethead:/project/dwaine/tcl8.1/unix]>./configure
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking whether cross-compiling... yes
Will compile without Threads support (normal)
checking for getcwd... no
checking for opendir... no
checking for strstr... no
checking for strtol... no
checking for tmpnam... no
checking for waitpid... no
checking for strerror... no
checking for getwd... no
checking for wait3... no
checking for uname... no
checking for realpath... no
checking for sin... no
checking for -lieee... no
checking for -lbsd... no
checking dirent.h... no
checking how to run the C preprocessor... /lib/cpp
checking for errno.h... yes
checking for float.h... yes
checking for values.h... yes
checking for limits.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for sys/wait.h... yes
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for sys/param.h... yes
checking termios vs. termio vs. sgtty... none
checking fd_set and sys/select... yes
checking for sys/time.h... yes
checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... no
checking whether struct tm is in sys/time.h or time.h... sys/time.h
checking for tm_zone in struct tm... no
checking for tzname... no
checking tm_tzadj in struct tm... no
checking tm_gmtoff in struct tm... no
checking long timezone variable... no
checking time_t timezone variable... no
checking for st_blksize in struct stat... no
checking for fstatfs... no
checking for 8-bit clean memcmp... no
checking for memmove... no
checking proper strstr implementation... broken, using substitute
checking for strtoul... no
checking for strtod... no
checking for strtod... (cached) no
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for mode_t... yes
checking for pid_t... yes
checking for size_t... yes
checking for uid_t in sys/types.h... yes
checking for opendir... (cached) no
checking union wait... no
checking matherr support... no
checking return type of signal handlers... int
checking for vfork... no
checking for strncasecmp... no
checking for -lsocket... no
checking for -linet... no
checking for BSDgettimeofday... no
checking for gettimeofday... no
checking for gettimeofday declaration... present
checking for -linet... no
checking for net/errno.h... no
checking whether char is unsigned... configure: error: can not run test program
while cross compiling
[nethead:/project/dwaine/tcl8.1/unix]>

I am not trying to cross compile anything.
Any ideas.

Also, in general is it even possible to compile Tcl/Tk/Expect
with Visual Age C++ 4.0 for AIX? (I.e. am I wasting my
time trying? :)

Sat, 20 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Trying to compile TCL/TK on AIX 4.3.2 with Visual Age C++ 4.0

Quote:

> This is as far as I get with running the
> configure script:

> [nethead:/project/dwaine/tcl8.1/unix]>./configure
> checking whether cross-compiling... yes
> checking whether char is unsigned... configure: error: can not run test program
> while cross compiling
> [nethead:/project/dwaine/tcl8.1/unix]>

> I am not trying to cross compile anything.

No, but for some reason configure thinks you are.  I ran into
something like this today where I could build programs fine but they
wouldn't run.  Turns out I had LIBPATH set to something strange when
compiling.

-Dave

Sat, 20 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Trying to compile TCL/TK on AIX 4.3.2 with Visual Age C++ 4.0

Quote:

>This is as far as I get with running the
>configure script:
>[nethead:/project/dwaine/tcl8.1/unix]>./configure
>checking for ranlib... ranlib
>checking whether cross-compiling... yes

This indicates that a native compile/link failed, for some reason.

[snip]

Quote:
>checking whether char is unsigned... configure: error: can not run test program
>while cross compiling

Again, configure is doing a compile for you, and it failed.

See the file config.log, it usually has some clues in cases like
this.

Also, is the C compiler for VisualAge C++ named "cc"?  If
not, you'll need to set CC=compiler_name before running configure.

HTH,

Zach

Sun, 21 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Trying to compile TCL/TK on AIX 4.3.2 with Visual Age C++ 4.0

Quote:

> This is as far as I get with running the
> configure script:

> [nethead:/project/dwaine/tcl8.1/unix]>./configure
> checking for ranlib... ranlib
> checking whether cross-compiling... yes
> Will compile without Threads support (normal)
> [nethead:/project/dwaine/tcl8.1/unix]>

> I am not trying to cross compile anything.
> Any ideas.

> Also, in general is it even possible to compile Tcl/Tk/Expect
> with Visual Age C++ 4.0 for AIX? (I.e. am I wasting my
> time trying? :)

Visual Age C++ 4.0 for AIX does not have a batch compiler !!!!!!
No cc, xlc, etc. Therefore you cannot build it using configure.
What you have to do is create your own project file and build that.
How you do this is beyond me because I have not yet moved to VA 4.0
simply because of this problem.
Version 5.0 will probably have the batch compiler back.

--
Paul Duffin

IBM UK Laboratories Ltd., Hursley Park nr. Winchester
Internal: 7-246880      International: +44 1962-816880

Mon, 22 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Need Visual Age, Visual Works, and Visual Wave Smalltalk mentors and developers and C++ designers/developers

2. Compiling tcl/tk using Visual C++ 5.0

3. Compiling Modulator code with Visual C++ 4.0

4. Visual-age for Cobol talking to Visual-Age (C)

5. problem: using tcl/tk with visual c++ / tk.h / RC_INVOKED

6. How to link Visual C++ 4.0 and MS FortranPower 4.0 with Micosoft Developer Studio

7. DALLAS Application Developer - IBM Visual Age/SmallTalk, Informix, Perl and IBM AIX

8. Compile TCK\TK with Visual C++ 6.0

9. Visual Age 4.0 Delivery Schedule???

10. Tknt40r1 (Tcl 7.4, Tk 4.0, Tcl-DP 3.3, Itcl 1.5, BLT 1.8, Tix 4.0)

11. compile tcl code to cpp in a Visual C++ project

12. Basic help compiling Tcl with C extensions in Windows (Visual C++ 6.0)