On Windows, paste is Shift-Insert, not Insert
Author Message
 On Windows, paste is Shift-Insert, not Insert

On Windows, the Insert key does not do a paste operation.  The
Shift-Insert key combination does.  In Tk8.0p2, entries bind Insert,
but this is wrong, and it makes it awkward to bind Insert for anything
else.

The appended patch will fix this problem.

Ian

*** /5g/ian/tk8.0p2/library/entry.tcl   Thu Oct  9 13:39:36 1997
--- entry.tcl   Tue Apr 14 16:39:05 1998
*************** if {$tcl_platform(platform) == "macintos
*** 206,213 ****
        bind Entry <Command-KeyPress> {# nothing}
  }

! bind Entry <Insert> {
!     catch {tkEntryInsert %W [selection get -displayof %W]}
  }

  # Additional emacs-like bindings:
--- 206,217 ----
        bind Entry <Command-KeyPress> {# nothing}
  }

! # On Windows, paste is done using Shift-Insert.  Shift-Insert already
! # generates the <<Paste>> event, so we don't need to do anything here.
! if {$tcl_platform(platform) != "windows"} {
!     bind Entry <Insert> {
!       catch {tkEntryInsert %W [selection get -displayof %W]}
!     }
  }

  # Additional emacs-like bindings:

Sat, 30 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 On Windows, paste is Shift-Insert, not Insert

Quote:

> On Windows, the Insert key does not do a paste operation.  The
> Shift-Insert key combination does.  In Tk8.0p2, entries bind Insert,
> but this is wrong, and it makes it awkward to bind Insert for anything
> else.

Except that Shift-Insert is deprecated.  I'd be strongly tempted to
remove the Insert binding but I'm not sure I want to add back
Shift-Insert.

                                  Chris
--
As MIT is not "Massachusetts" neither is RPI "Rensselaer"

Sun, 01 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 On Windows, paste is Shift-Insert, not Insert

Quote:

>> On Windows, the Insert key does not do a paste operation.  The
>> Shift-Insert key combination does.  In Tk8.0p2, entries bind Insert,
>> but this is wrong, and it makes it awkward to bind Insert for anything
>> else.
>Except that Shift-Insert is deprecated.  I'd be strongly tempted to
>remove the Insert binding but I'm not sure I want to add back
>Shift-Insert.

I didn't realize that.  Of course, the patch I posted doesn't affect
Shift-Insert at all.  It just removes the Insert binding.  The
Shift-Insert binding is coming from this line in tk.tcl:
        event add <<Paste>> <Control-Key-v> <Shift-Key-Insert>

Ian Taylor

Sun, 01 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 On Windows, paste is Shift-Insert, not Insert

Quote:
> Except that Shift-Insert is deprecated.  I'd be strongly tempted to
> remove the Insert binding but I'm not sure I want to add back
> Shift-Insert.

The patch is fine as it doesn't even touch that, only removing the
<Insert> binding for entries on one platform.

Donal.
--

Department of Computer Science, University of Manchester, U.K. +44-161-275-6137
--

Sun, 08 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Cancel parent insert after child insert

2. Insert button and INSERT key

3. A.S.A.P: Successful insert, choose: insert another record/return to caller

4. iwidgets 3.0.0 Scrolledlistbox::insert insert element bug

5. NOT Allow Inserts not working

6. Insert a line it does not exitsB

7. Insert, change, delete with toolbar does not work

8. EIP Insert not saved

9. Insert record if record not found?

10. totaling (after insert/chg) not working in browse

11. Insert error - Record not available (33)

12. Form does not clear on Insert