memory active causes memory fault
Author Message
 memory active causes memory fault

Hi,

I'm having strange memory faults with a mechanism design software that
we are developing. We've extendend the tcl interpreter with new command
written in C. Testing new functionality I ran into memory faults which
happen occasionally. Trying to find out what is happenig I used "memory
active mem.txt". Works fine until I have created an entity of my new
functionality. After that it fails with a memory fault, which is (as far
as I can see) strange. Even if there's something wrong with memory
reservation in my code memory should not crash, right? Or am I missing
something fundamental?

I'd also be grateful for any hints on how to debug memory problems.

Thanks,
Aleks

P.S.: I'm using HP-UX 10.20 and tcl 8.4.11

Fri, 15 Feb 2008 23:16:27 GMT
 memory active causes memory fault

Quote:

> I'm having strange memory faults with a mechanism design software that
> we are developing. We've extendend the tcl interpreter with new command
> written in C. Testing new functionality I ran into memory faults which
> happen occasionally. Trying to find out what is happenig I used "memory
> active mem.txt". Works fine until I have created an entity of my new
> functionality. After that it fails with a memory fault, which is (as far
> as I can see) strange. Even if there's something wrong with memory
> reservation in my code memory should not crash, right? Or am I missing
> something fundamental?

> I'd also be grateful for any hints on how to debug memory problems.

Compile with -DTCL_MEM_DEBUG (or --enable-symbols=all).  Make
sure you are using the Tcl alloc routines when handling data
that moves through Tcl as well.

--
   Jeff Hobbs, The Tcl Guy
   http://www.ActiveState.com/, a division of Sophos

Fri, 29 Feb 2008 01:45:36 GMT
 memory active causes memory fault
Jeff Hobbs schrieb:

Quote:
> Compile with -DTCL_MEM_DEBUG (or --enable-symbols=all).  Make
> sure you are using the Tcl alloc routines when handling data
> that moves through Tcl as well.

Thank you Jeff. My program was crashing due to a wrongly allocated
struct im my code. Should have been obvious, memory management is the
only thing you can't get right in C ;-)

Greetings,
Aleks

Fri, 29 Feb 2008 15:55:25 GMT

1. Memory management cause of COM server crash

2. memory error using external MD5 Active-X component

3. VA - large image causes large memory footprint

4. What is the cause of this error (Memory block free'd twice)

5. Recursive pointer cause memory leak?

6. why does OPC string write cause memory leak?

7. ComctlLib.ITreeView Active-X Memory Leak in LabVIEW

8. Problems building exe that includes dsc (vi's always in memory, causing an error)

9. Problems building exe that includes dsc (vi's always in memory, causing an error)

10. Equivalence causing memory usage to expand with PowerStation 4.0

11. What's causing this memory usage?

12. memory access error caused by read