trace incompatibility in 8.4 and 8.3 ?
Author Message
 trace incompatibility in 8.4 and 8.3 ?

We recently upgraded from old tcl 8.3.5 to
8.4.12.
A lot of our code depends on
setting trace to resume processing.
We noticed that sometimes trace proc
is not invoked in 8.4 but works
perfectly fine in 8.3.

Has anyone noticed this issue ?

Sun, 16 Nov 2008 02:24:43 GMT
 trace incompatibility in 8.4 and 8.3 ?

Quote:

> We recently upgraded from old tcl 8.3.5 to
> 8.4.12.
> A lot of our code depends on
> setting trace to resume processing.
> We noticed that sometimes trace proc
> is not invoked in 8.4 but works
> perfectly fine in 8.3.

> Has anyone noticed this issue ?

That's not nearly enough information.  Got a small example of something
that works for you in 8.3.5 and not in 8.4.13 ?

--
| Don Porter          Mathematical and Computational Sciences Division |

| http://math.nist.gov/~DPorter/                                  NIST |

Sun, 16 Nov 2008 04:02:59 GMT
 trace incompatibility in 8.4 and 8.3 ?
Quote:

>>We recently upgraded from old tcl 8.3.5 to
>>8.4.12.
>>A lot of our code depends on
>>setting trace to resume processing.
>>We noticed that sometimes trace proc
>>is not invoked in 8.4 but works
>>perfectly fine in 8.3.

>>Has anyone noticed this issue ?

> That's not nearly enough information.  Got a small example of something
> that works for you in 8.3.5 and not in 8.4.13 ?

It is difficult to generate a small example since
this issue occurs under load and does not occur every time.

I updated some code to the new trace syntax
and was able to get things flowing again.
So I suspect trace incompatibility of 8.4 with 8.3.

Sun, 16 Nov 2008 06:51:25 GMT
 trace incompatibility in 8.4 and 8.3 ?

Quote:

>> That's not nearly enough information.  Got a small example of something
>> that works for you in 8.3.5 and not in 8.4.13 ?

> It is difficult to generate a small example since
> this issue occurs under load and does not occur every time.
> So I suspect trace incompatibility of 8.4 with 8.3.

You can suspect whatever you like, but without a clear report
of an identifiable problem, nothing's going to be done about something
that may not exist or may be user error.

Doesn't help that the hint of a possible problem comes years beyond
8.3's end of life when all the action has moved to  8.5 development.

--
| Don Porter          Mathematical and Computational Sciences Division |

| http://math.nist.gov/~DPorter/                                  NIST |

Sun, 16 Nov 2008 11:42:39 GMT

1. problem about tcl 8.3 and 8.4

2. Q: speed open call Tcl 8.3 vs 8.4

3. glob difference between 8.3 and 8.4

4. Tk 8.3 -> 8.4, surprisingly slow text widget

5. Tcl 8.4 more DOSsy than 8.3 ?

6. Stubs with Tcl 8.3 vs Tcl 8.4

7. CONST Tcl 8.3 vs Tcl 8.4

8. cross-version voodoo: handling 8.3 / 8.4 private structure changes

9. 8.4 vs 8.3

10. TCL is not thread safer in TCL 8.3 or 8.4... Any plans to fix this?

11. "clock" command: millisecond-resolution timers in Tcl 8.3/8.4

12. C5 dictionary file name (8.3?)