ANNOUNCE : Screen Printing utility.
Author Message
 ANNOUNCE : Screen Printing utility.

The problem :
   Print the *data* in a form when the user presses a "Print" button. A
   screen dump may not cut it, since any data in a scrolled text field
   or scrolled list will be clipped.

The solution :
   Have the form dump out the data in a simple ascii format, and feed
   it to a word processor of your choice. A perl script is given to
   do this for FrameMaker. The approach is simple and very effective,
   and is described in an article submitted to The X Journal (July/Aug 1995,
   "Generalized Screen Printing"). The postscript copy of this article
   is also present in this distribution.

This simple utility  can be found in
   ftp.x.org://contrib/utilities/ScreenPrinting.tar.gz

Please let me know if you make any changes to this stuff - I would
like to build a library to support different word processing systems.

Contents
   ScreenPrinting.README - this file
   ScreenPrinting.ps - The X Journal article (July/Aug 1995) describing
                       the approach.
   pr.pl*  - the perl script
   screen.dat - an example data file, to be produced by a form
   template.mif - A template for the output report - typically designed
                  by a user

Lemme know if you like it, or have ideas for creeping featurism.
- Sriram Srinivasan

--

Sun, 28 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 ANNOUNCE : Screen Printing utility.

Quote:
>The problem :
>   Print the *data* in a form when the user presses a "Print" button. A
>   screen dump may not cut it, since any data in a scrolled text field
>   or scrolled list will be clipped.

>The solution :
>   Have the form dump out the data in a simple ascii format, and feed
>   it to a word processor of your choice. A perl script is given to
>[...]

Depending on your situation, our Xprinter product may also serve your
needs well.  You can generate quality PCL or PostScript output
directly from Xlib calls.

   Dan
--
--------------------- message is author's opinion only --------------------

Bristol Technology Inc.                     +1 203 438 6969, 438-5013 (FAX)

Mon, 29 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 ANNOUNCE : Screen Printing utility.

: >The problem :
: >   Print the *data* in a form when the user presses a "Print" button. A
: >   screen dump may not cut it, since any data in a scrolled text field
: >   or scrolled list will be clipped.
: >
: >The solution :
: >   Have the form dump out the data in a simple ascii format, and feed
: >   it to a word processor of your choice. A perl script is given to
: >[...]
:
: Depending on your situation, our Xprinter product may also serve your
: needs well.  You can generate quality PCL or PostScript output
: directly from Xlib calls.
:

The ScreenPrinting approach is far simpler if you simply want a dump
of form related data (no graphics), which is the case with most reports.
The advantage ..
  - for the programmer - needs to write code that will produce a very-very
    simple ASCII dump of  the data in the form.
  - for the user, who uses a conventional word processing system (FrameMaker
    in this case) to build  a template of how exactly the report should
        look.

There's nothing WYSIWIG about doing calls at the Xlib level.

Your Xprinter product (of which I have heard very good reports) is useful
if  you want to produce vector graphics on the report (on line ; if the
graphic doesn't change,  you would use FrameMaker's graphics).  For form
level data, it doesn't get much simpler than the ScreenPrinting approach.

For those who came in late - check this package at
ftp.x.org://contrib/utilities/ScreenPrinting.tar.gz

Sriram

Mon, 29 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. VGA Character Print Screen Utility

2. print to screen and file with one print statement

3. ** Screen Capture Utility **

4. Screen Design Utility

5. Conversion Utility For CAI/Realia Screen Panels????

6. I need some utilities that makes screens works at 60x80 or similar, in COBOL

7. Screen grab utility for TCL

8. PRINT DICTIONARY UTILITY

9. Dictionary Print Utility - CW2

10. VA Printing utility

11. Page Break in Print from Utility template

12. Dictionary Print Utility Template